• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

With Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s racist remarks coming to light over the weekend, the emphasis has now shifted to “what’s next” for the controversial owner and his distracted franchise.

One of the biggest discussions has centered around the future of the Clippers and whether the NBA and commissioner Adam Silver will force Sterling to sell that franchise. In that vein, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports is reporting Lakers legend Magic Johnson and his ownership group are interested in buying the team if Sterling is forced (or chooses) to sell:

Magic Johnson and his billionaire backers, the Guggenheim Partners, want a chance to purchase the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told Yahoo Sports. “Magic’s absolutely interested,” one source closely connected to Johnson’s business interests told Yahoo Sports on Sunday night.

In addition to the news that Johnson could have interest, Wojnarowski sheds a bit of light on the logistics of a potential sale:

“This is 100 percent Magic’s plan,” a league official intimately involved in the buying and selling of franchises told Yahoo Sports.
    As an exit strategy, Sterling could walk away with a $1 billion-plus sales price for his franchise, and a final act of goodwill to soften his exile into the sports netherworld. Sterling will be reviled forever, but he has to understand clearing the way for Magic Johnson and the $200 billion-plus group backing him could be a decent farewell punctuating a most indecent ownership tenure. Sterling made Magic Johnson a part of those hideous audio tapes that have started to crumble his Clippers ownership, and here’s the old man’s way to make it right.
    TAYLOR: Sterling scandal puts Clippers in an impossible position

As referenced above, Magic is currently part of the ownership group of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have become significant spenders since being taken over in 2013, as evidenced by their payroll exceeding $230 million for the 2014 MLB season.

Johnson’s name first entered the swirl of the Sterling scandal when his name came up in the recorded conversation between the owner and his girlfriend. After hearing Sterling’s racist remarks on the tape, Magic declared that Sterling “shouldn’t be an owner anymore” and vowed to never attend another Clippers game as long as he ran the team.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

“I will be owning an NBA team sometime," Johnson told a gathering of business leaders Wednesday at the Milken Global Conference in Beverly Hills. "Is the Clippers the right situation? Of course. It's one of the premiere franchises."

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

If the Thunder lose in round one, is Scott Brooks gone? Signs point to yes.

And this then becomes interesting with Dantoni gone in LA, and Durant a FA in 2015.

Sounds like Kerr to the NYK's is almost a done deal.

These are the best playoffs I can remember watching, ever.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

And this then becomes interesting with Dantoni gone in LA, and Durant a FA in 2015.

It can't be the best because the Lakers aren't playing. Plus most of the Eastern Conference games have been bad. I am liking all the WC games.

Lakeshow has a lot of interesting options. I think they'll take their time making this decision
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

Brooks is as good as done in OKC. I think about the only way he isn't is if they go on a run and win the title. Unless things completely fall apart in OKC (a possibility), don't see Durant moving.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Durant is my favorite player in the League. I'd be ecstatic at the possibility of him going to the Lakers.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                Durant is my favorite player in the League. I'd be ecstatic at the possibility of him going to the Lakers.
                Decoying with the decoy logo:

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

How about them Pacers?

Thunders?

Warriors?

Oh wait, sorry. Wrong thread.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    How many seasons is he locked in with OKC?

Despite what Kobe wants I don't see the big free agent push until 2015
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      How about them Pacers?

Thunders?

Warriors?

Oh wait, sorry. Wrong thread.
                      I actually thought the Pacers would win last night. I think they win the series. (barely)

I think the Grizz blew it last night...that was their chance. OKC will win at home in Game 7.

Clippers will most likely win in a game 7 at home. Chris Paul is too good.

Tonight I look for the Spurs to close out the Mavs, Portalnd to close out the Rockets, and the Nets to force Game 7.

That said...I've really enjoyed watching the Raptors. They are a pretty fun team.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I sure hope the Blazers beat the Rockets. The Blazers are fun to watch.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                          I sure hope the Blazers beat the Rockets. The Blazers are fun to watch.
                          agreed. And Dwight Howard is not. He's talented...but he just isn't fun to watch play.

Comment

Working...
                          X