• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
    You and I have been Chargers fans for decades and love the sport for the sport. We are not good examples to prove my point
    Good point, I do love all football, here and abroad. Awesome weekend coming up, prem saturday and Bolts kicking the shit out of the Chiefs Sunday. If some Chiefs decide to kneel, hope Perryman pile drives their kneeling asses behind the LOS.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
      Good point, I do love all football, here and abroad. Awesome weekend coming up, prem saturday and Bolts kicking the shit out of the Chiefs Sunday. If some Chiefs decide to kneel, hope Perryman pile drives their kneeling asses behind the LOS.
      Perryman rocks.

Comment

• Boltimore
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Naples, FL
        • Retired
        • Send PM

OT Could this really happen on 9/11?

Comment

• RobH
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Tokyo, Japan
          • University English Lecturer
          • Send PM

Can't read it without subscribing.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
            Can't read it without subscribing.
            Here ya go:

The National Football League is bracing for possible widespread player demonstrations during the national anthem at Sunday’s opening games, in what would mark a high-profile escalation of a protest movement over concerns of racial injustice in America.

The games fall on the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, which the NFL plans to commemorate with appearances by military personnel, first responders and two U.S. presidents. That backdrop could further animate a fierce national debate set off last month by quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for the anthem.
            Officials with the NFL Players Association, who have been providing its union members with guidance on what protests are prohibited under the labor agreement, expect that players on several teams may pursue some form of protest.

An official with one team said his organization had prepared a “response plan” for possible protests and expected that most other teams had done the same.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said that players can’t violate the dress code—for example, by writing on their helmets—and they can’t interrupt the game. Apart from that, Mr. Atallah said, players can express themselves as they choose.

The league hasn't disciplined Mr. Kaepernick. NFL executive vice president of communications Joe Lockhart said the league has a “somewhat broader” view than the union of what players can and can’t do but explained the league would work together with the NFLPA to deal with the behavior on a case-by-case basis. He said drawing up an exhaustive list of prohibited behaviors wouldn't make sense.

Mr. Kaepernick, the backup quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, first sat out The Star-Spangled Banner at an August preseason game, saying afterward: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” Since then, several players have joined Mr. Kaepernick in taking one knee for the anthem, a gesture that has been met with sympathy, solidarity and outrage from fans, commentators and teammates.

The response to Mr. Kaepernick’s protest hasn't only highlighted national anxieties about policing in African-American communities, it has also put coaches and owners in the precarious position of trying to balance respect for players’ political expression against broader public sentiment about the military and police.

“It wouldn’t be my first choice,” said New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, when asked how he would feel if one of his players declined to stand for the anthem. “But I think I would have a conversation at that point with him to try to find out what’s motivating that person to do that kind of protest.”

The Jets are playing at home Sunday afternoon in New Jersey, where Broadway actress Heather Headley is scheduled to sing the national anthem. Head coach Todd Bowles said his players had the right to sit for the anthem: “That’s what the country is about.”

After Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall knelt for the national anthem at Thursday night’s game against the Carolina Panthers, the Broncos said they encouraged players to stand but “respect it being a personal decision.”

Mr. Marshall’s move cost him a sponsorship deal on Friday, as the Air Academy Federal Credit Union dropped the 26-year-old linebacker as its spokesman. The credit union’s president wrote in a Facebook post that Mr. Marshall’s actions are “not a representation of our organization and membership.”

The New York Giants addressed the issue in a team meeting before their first preseason game, head coach Ben McAdoo said. Players also heard from offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan and Col. Greg Gadson, a retired U.S. Army officer who is also a double amputee.

Mr. McAdoo said the national anthem was a “small gesture to those who served and sacrificed their lives for our country.” He said he would be “disappointed” if one of his players chose not to stand.

On Thursday, Seattle Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin wrote on Twitter that the team would “honor the country and flag in a pregame demonstration of unity” before playing the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

The NFL plans to mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks with pretaped video messages from President Barack Obama and President George W. Bush, to be aired before the games. Players’ helmets will be adorned with 9/11 decals, and coaches will be given 9/11 lapel pins, the NFL said.

In a sign that Mr. Kaepernick’s protest—and the backlash to it—has spread beyond football, professional soccer player Megan Rapinoe knelt during the anthem before a Washington Spirit game last week. The team on Wednesday played the anthem while the teams were off the field, pre-empting Ms. Rapinoe’s intended protest.

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Balcony
              • Senile Agitator
              • Send PM

If it reaches the level of widespread and these assclowns hijack 9/11, I'm prepared to boycott the NFL indefinitely.

And I see #boycottnfl is trending on Twitter now.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I can see the National Anthem moved before the players run on the field if it gets widespread, as they did for that women's soccer game. Most recognize there is a right to political expression, but if starts to hurt ratings, the league will just make it a non-issue. We normally don't see the performance on TV anyway. 9/11 is too close for this to happen though.

Comment

• RobH
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Tokyo, Japan
                  • University English Lecturer
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  Here ya go:
                  Thank you.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Seahawks will stand, with arms interlocked, for the National Anthem. This is a classy move, and still shows attention to the issue. Team first.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Seahawks will stand, with arms interlocked, for the National Anthem. This is a classy move, and still shows attention to the issue. Team first.
                      If true, definitely not the lame thing I complained about. Apologies to the Squawks and the guy I called a moron.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

No problem with this at all. There is a respectful way to do something with a tiny bit of effort and thought.

Comment

• captaind
                          Cook This Pork Chops
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Balcony
                          • Senile Agitator
                          • Send PM

Still selfishly hijacking 9/11. This doesn't change anything. They need to just stand up and shut the fuck up. Tomorrow is not about Kaepernick or anyone on the Seahawks.

Comment

Working...
                          X