• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

La Mesa Native, former San Diego Clipper, NBA Hall of Famer, Broadcaster, Cyclist, at 71, Cancer.

Comment

• Craig440
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

RIP Bill Walton. I'll never forget when in high school you were playing for Helix and warming up in our gym at Granite Hills High. It was raining and I was on the varsity wrestling team for Granite. We had to run around the court inside to get our work in. I went up to you and jokingly challenged you to a little one on one. You picked me up (I wrestled 98 lb's.) and let me dunk the ball. You were just a high school star at the time, but I followed your career ever since. You also helped Patty Hurst who I think got a raw deal.

RIP dude, to young.

Comment

• Craig440
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Did you know hall of fame basketball player Bill Walton had an older brother Bruce Walton, who was an offensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys? Both Walton brothers attended UCLA to play different sports. The 6'6, 251 pound Bruce Walton was a 5th round draft pick by the Cowboys in 1973. He was primarily a backup left tackle playing behind future hall of famer Rayfield Wright. Bruce Walton played 3 seasons with the Cowboys from 1973-1975. His final game was Super Bowl X , a 21-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Orange Bowl. Knee injuries ultimately ended his career in 1976. Bruce Walton passed away on October 18, 2019 at the age of 68. Bill Walton passed away today at age 71.
        Fun Fact: The Waltons are the only brother combination in the history of professional sports to play in the NBA Finals and Super Bowl.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

San Diego basketball icon and super nice guy.
          I've bumped into Bill several times around town (I live several blocks away from Helix HS).
          He was always so generous with his time... always willing to chat with everyone.

My dad was a huge UCLA fan. We watched many of Bill's games on TV back in the day.
          I'm a big fan of his! RIP Big Red.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
            Let's do this!
            • Aug 2022
            • Raleigh N. Carolina
            • Send PM

Bill and his family sat behind me for a Chargers season at the Murph.

.They were always super shy and I remember my Dad telling me not to say anything to them and to let them be.

Later on I saw them BBQing in La Jolla and I went up to them and mentioned they used to sit behind me at Chargers games. They didn't really engage me but it was still cool to see them again.

Fast forward to a Govt Mule/Bob Weir show at Humphries and once again Bill was seated right behind me. This time with a hammerd David Wells.
            Bill was super friendly this time around, when i brought up the Chargers games he laughed and we agreed it was better to sit in FRONT of him than behind.

he's gone

RIP to a great San Diegan

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

20 years ago, my Dad passed from metastatic Prostate Cancer, that got to his bones. Back then, PCa was a tough disease to beat, its easier now with early testing and new treatments. The last few weeks were brutal for him and the family, and the event changed my life in a lot of ways that I won't get into. My siblings and I visited his grave, cleaned it up and put flowers there. I admit to myself that I have to visit more often. Rest in Peace, Dad.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

RIP to a great man.
                Jerry West.
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  RIP to a great man.
                  Jerry West.
                  You beat me to it.
                  sigpic

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post

You beat me to it.
                    I grew up on Zeke from Cabin Creek, and Chic Hearn barking when there was no fouls called on Jerry Sloan as he broke West's nose.

I find Jerry West to be one of the most compelling figures ever in sports.
                    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

R.I.P. Donald Sutherland, 88. So many roles, but one of my favorites was Oddball in Kelly's Heroes.

Comment

• colorado
                          Fan since '62
                          • Jun 2023
                          • Desert Rat
                          • Nothing but time on my hands
                          • Send PM

It happens in threes, RIP to all three of you. You will be missed.

Comment

Working...
                          X