• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

OT: Time Warner SUCKS!

I am so glad I am not a Time Warner company. I dumped them years ago when they refused to offer the NFL network and switched to Verizon FIOS. And seeing how they are refusing to carry the Padre games locally was bad enough, but now they are dumping CBS in some major markets (New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit and Pittsburgh). If this drags on to football season - whoa.

The two companies are locked in a disagreement over the transmission fees that Time Warner Cable pays to run CBS-owned stations.
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Balcony
    • Senile Agitator
    • Send PM

I yearn for the day when I can just pick & choose the channels I want & pay only for those.

A man can dream, can't he?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Is Centurylink available in your area?

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
        I yearn for the day when I can just pick & choose the channels I want & pay only for those.

Streaming

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I am so glad I am not a Time Warner company. I dumped them years ago when they refused to offer the NFL network and switched to Verizon FIOS. And seeing how they are refusing to carry the Padre games locally was bad enough, but now they are dumping CBS in some major markets (New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit and Pittsburgh). If this drags on to football season - whoa.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/02/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
          I also hate the hypocritical company Time Warner, but I'm not sure this dispute is on them. CBS is using legalized monopoly powers to gauge the re-broadcast carriers. The FCC might suck the most of all the parties in this fiasco.

Back in January 2011, I predicted that the Federal Communications Commission's approval of the Comcast-NBC merger would be a disaster for the consumer.

How Time Warner Cable and CBS are making the FCC look like chumps

By Michael Hiltzik
          August 2, 2013, 5:09 p.m.

Back in January 2011, I predicted that the Federal Communications Commission's approval of the Comcast-NBC merger would be a disaster for the consumer.

Allowing the merger of a major cable operator with a major network would undermine the public interest by giving Comcast too much market power. Cable companies are already monopolies in most major metro areas, and that's especially true when it comes to the increasingly crucial broadband Internet service.

The irony is that Time Warner Cable and CBS are not affiliated, as are Comcast and NBC, but their ruthless treatment of their joint customers just shows even more how derelict the FCC was in allowing the last merger.

As you already know if you're a Time Warner Cable subscriber, as part of a contract fee dispute, the cable company cut off access to CBS-owned channels Friday. That includes the Showtime pay-TV network. Some CBS programming is normally available online at CBS.com -- but if Time Warner is your Internet provider, CBS has cut off your access to that too. It's as though these two adversaries are conspiring to use their market power to victimize their customers.

It's unclear how long this standoff will last, but five minutes is five minutes too many. Responsible telecom providers would have moved heaven and earth to avoid darkening their customers' screens. Time Warner and CBS both have shown they don't deserve to be in the marketplace.

This is what happens when monopolistic behavior becomes ingrained in a market while regulators sit on their thumbs. If the FCC had signaled two years ago that it wouldn't countenance such contemptuous treatment of telecommunications customers -- and backed that up by vetoing the largest merger in the space -- then both Time Warner Cable and CBS would think twice before blacking out paying customers.

The sad fact is that in today's world of lazy, indifferent government regulation, industry has come to assume that it can walk all over the customer. When will the regulators wake up? The public interest is at stake.
          Last edited by Viejo Bolt; 08-03-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I cut TWC for DTV before last year. So much happier. For a Football guy like myself DTV is the way to go.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Heck I cut them all...couldnt stand the more than doubled price of Sunday Ticket on Direct TV and the price of basic type package doubled in 10 years. Said screw it and went fully to cut the cord. I just use Media Mall Technologies Playon software as a server that grabs content from Hulu (and Hulu Plus), CBS, Netflix (my TV and PS3 also do this) and other web content sites. I also just torrent over the air TV shows for my "on demand" access. I don't miss it and after 7-8 years i've saved $6000 from what I was paying. I watch what I want to watch. Kids typically watch Netflix streaming content. Unless something dramatic changes I have no intent to go back.

Comment

• captaind
                Cook This Pork Chops
                • Jun 2013
                • Balcony
                • Senile Agitator
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                Heck I cut them all...couldnt stand the more than doubled price of Sunday Ticket on Direct TV and the price of basic type package doubled in 10 years. Said screw it and went fully to cut the cord. I just use Media Mall Technologies Playon software as a server that grabs content from Hulu (and Hulu Plus), CBS, Netflix (my TV and PS3 also do this) and other web content sites. I also just torrent over the air TV shows for my "on demand" access. I don't miss it and after 7-8 years i've saved $6000 from what I was paying. I watch what I want to watch. Kids typically watch Netflix streaming content. Unless something dramatic changes I have no intent to go back.
                I could do that if I didn't need Sunday Ticket.

I considered it a few years ago. I bought an HD antenna, and I was really surprised. The picture was actually better quality than HD through DTV. But if I can't watch football, then I can't do it. Tried streaming games on the internet, but the picture sucks & the sites aren't dependable at all.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I just now activated Sunday Ticket. Like $60 a month for 5 months.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

If McCain gets his way you will (along with no blacked out games)!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I just now activated Sunday Ticket. Like $60 a month for 4 months.
                      Too much for me. I see guys saying they get these discounts all the time in these forums but they won't give me a deal on it and I've never had Sunday ticket before.
                      As soon and Centurylink gets in my area, im canceling DirecTV.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-03-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        Too much for me. I see guys saying they get these discounts all time in these forums but they won't give me a deal on it and I've never had Sunday ticket before.
                        As soon and Cenrurylink gets in my area, im canceling DirecTV
                        Yea i guess you have to threaten to cancel. And i accidentally said 4 months. Its actually 5 months at $60.

Comment

Working...
                        X