• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDA21
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Team Chemistry

I think one very key component that McCoy/Telesco have brought here is incredible team chemistry. Sure the roster and depth have been upgraded but I can't remember another Charger team that has had better team chemistry than this group. A great mix of veterans that are willing to share knowledge and youngsters hungry to learn and get better and guys that are very unselfish and just do what it take to win.

I really love the type of player that they seem to gravitate to..leader, passion for football, great teammate, lots of playing time against solid competition.

I really have a good feeling about this team going forward...hopefully we can finally get that ring!
  • OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Agree and we have a nice mixture of older Veterans, Rookies and Young Vets

Rivers is an old vet, but at his position you can play that position into your late 30

RB- injuries have taken a tool but nice young Vet group and one rook (Brandon Oliver) getting back Mathews is more so important now Woodhead gone for the season

TE - Gates old vet and Green young buck in the wings

WR -Floyd the old vet, Allen young rising start Royal vet, bunch of younger guys

OL nice mix of Vet and youth not a lot of talent, Hardwick old vet may be last season do to injury, nice mix of younger guys Flucker, and Watt, and Dunlap who is late blooming vet who is solid, center and guard needs upgrades

DL- Young nobody over 28 Reyes, Liguet, Leismore not a lot of depth but if Carrether can develope and Geathers comes back next year healthy and improve we have a real nice rotation

LB two old vets Freeney and Johnson, but a lot of young guys with ability Ingram, and Attoucha on the outside, inside Teo, Butler, Connor Walker, and Gahkar none of these guys are older than 27.

DB- Weddle is the Vet at 29, Marshall also 29 hopefully this is his last season with us, Flowers is 28, then the younger guys 27 and under Wright, Gilchrist, Stuckey, Addae, Williams and Verrett.

Future is pointing up don't want to be like teams who hold on to older core group of older vets and then when it is time to rebuild they really have to rebuild.

We are pretty good going forward we will need to improve the following positions going forward

Offense
    OL- need a center and guard - Free Agency preferably or draft
    RB- which was a position of depth I am not sure if you don't resign Mathews going forward depending on how he plays the remainder of the season
    WR- I am looking strictly at drafting next year, maybe 2nd or 3rd round Floyd is getting up in age and after Allen and Royal I think we have a big drop in talent, and if that WR has the ability to do returns that would be a big plus.

Defense
    NT may see how the season plays out and if Carrether develops will determine what round you go NT
    LB appears straight maybe a free-agent pick up for depth
    DBs are straight let Marshall go and get free-agent pick up or draft corner 4th round,.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
      Agree and we have a nice mixture of older Veterans, Rookies and Young Vets

Rivers is an old vet, but at his position you can play that position into your late 30

RB- injuries have taken a tool but nice young Vet group and one rook (Brandon Oliver) getting back Mathews is more so important now Woodhead gone for the season

TE - Gates old vet and Green young buck in the wings

WR -Floyd the old vet, Allen young rising start Royal vet, bunch of younger guys

OL nice mix of Vet and youth not a lot of talent, Hardwick old vet may be last season do to injury, nice mix of younger guys Flucker, and Watt, and Dunlap who is late blooming vet who is solid, center and guard needs upgrades

DL- Young nobody over 28 Reyes, Liguet, Leismore not a lot of depth but if Carrether can develope and Geathers comes back next year healthy and improve we have a real nice rotation

LB two old vets Freeney and Johnson, but a lot of young guys with ability Ingram, and Attoucha on the outside, inside Teo, Butler, Connor Walker, and Gahkar none of these guys are older than 27.

DB- Weddle is the Vet at 29, Marshall also 29 hopefully this is his last season with us, Flowers is 28, then the younger guys 27 and under Wright, Gilchrist, Stuckey, Addae, Williams and Verrett.

Future is pointing up don't want to be like teams who hold on to older core group of older vets and then when it is time to rebuild they really have to rebuild.

We are pretty good going forward we will need to improve the following positions going forward

Offense
      OL- need a center and guard - Free Agency preferably or draft
      RB- which was a position of depth I am not sure if you don't resign Mathews going forward depending on how he plays the remainder of the season
      WR- I am looking strictly at drafting next year, maybe 2nd or 3rd round Floyd is getting up in age and after Allen and Royal I think we have a big drop in talent, and if that WR has the ability to do returns that would be a big plus.

Defense
      NT may see how the season plays out and if Carrether develops will determine what round you go NT
      LB appears straight maybe a free-agent pick up for depth
      DBs are straight let Marshall go and get free-agent pick up or draft corner 4th round,.
      Would rather draft another DE high, and kick Luiget inside on passing downs, we really need to add to the DE rotation. We can use another OLB with a high pick as well. JJ and Freeney are Long in the tooth and one or both may not be here next season. Then I would address the interior line.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yep, DE high pick (wanted Donald...). Oline has real need too, also WR, agreed.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

I wouldn't mind a DT if he's of the explosive, pass rushing type. We don't need fat asses that can only move within a 2 yard radius. A Donald type of DT would be perfect. We are giving about 30 snaps right now to fairly mediocre D line backups.

That said, the top ranked C generally goes sometime in the final 5 picks of the 1st round/top of 2nd. It's going to be a real need next offseason.

Ideally we can lock up Flowers/Dunlap/Wright prior to the draft to keep those positions stocked. Freeney will be an interesting potential resign candidate if he keeps playing at a high level.

Comment

• chris9341
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

My philosophy is to draft the best player available with the exception of QB. Ive seen it happen to many times with this team where we draft for need instead of best player available. However that was in the past and so far with Telesco I can see he drafts who he thinks is the best player for this team and not based upon team needs. Right now I say the D-Line needs fixing. Jacksonvill ran straight up the gut against our D-line and we have to play the Chiefs in a few weeks and look what they did to the Patriots. Over 200 yards rushing against them by the Chiefs and the Chiefs are 100 times better then Jacksonville is. I think it's probably the main reason why the chargers try to play ball control offense so they can keep the defense off the field which I love that they do that because I have always said that a good defense is a good offense who keeps your defense off the field.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
              My philosophy is to draft the best player available with the exception of QB. Ive seen it happen to many times with this team where we draft for need instead of best player available. However that was in the past and so far with Telesco I can see he drafts who he thinks is the best player for this team and not based upon team needs. Right now I say the D-Line needs fixing. Jacksonvill ran straight up the gut against our D-line and we have to play the Chiefs in a few weeks and look what they did to the Patriots. Over 200 yards rushing against them by the Chiefs and the Chiefs are 100 times better then Jacksonville is. I think it's probably the main reason why the chargers try to play ball control offense so they can keep the defense off the field which I love that they do that because I have always said that a good defense is a good offense who keeps your defense off the field.
              Huh? The Jags were barely able to run. We stuffed them on two short yardage 4th down plays. Their best rusher was Bortles and that was on broken plays.

Clearly we aren't the top run stuffing team, but Pags has been able to dial up plenty of run blitzes to prevent us from being gashed. It's worked because we finally have corners that can cover.

Plenty of us have said, CB and pass rush was the biggest need on this team. Plenty of others pointed to run defense. We ignored the run defense and bolstered the CB's and pass rush. I think it's worked so far since we are a top 5 scoring defense.

It's just part of the process. By design our offense will force teams to throw the ball on us. We had to improve that aspect of the defense to have success. This is how the coaches have drawn it up.
              Last edited by Beerman; 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I will say they did better in the second half and that is what I love about Pagano and his ability to make changes on defense in second half of games. I agree with you that the chargers make it so you have to pass on them because the other team is playing from behind however teams like the chiefs I don't believe will be so quick to go with the pass if they fall behind. Im going to go re watch that game and see the difference between the first half and the difference between the second half as far as the jags running the ball is concerned.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

all I needed to know about team chemistry was displayed last summer with the softball team pictures that were on the internet.

This is a good group of guys. I hope they have great success.
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
                    I will say they did better in the second half and that is what I love about Pagano and his ability to make changes on defense in second half of games. I agree with you that the chargers make it so you have to pass on them because the other team is playing from behind however teams like the chiefs I don't believe will be so quick to go with the pass if they fall behind. Im going to go re watch that game and see the difference between the first half and the difference between the second half as far as the jags running the ball is concerned.
                    Let them. Let them run once we have a lead. It helps. They start running time off the clock and slowly marching down the field. But how many defensive plays or penalties does it take to stop them? Just 1. So, let them run. WE can't so, if they wand time off the clock, they can take it off for us. Then we come back with a ball control passing drive, mixing in some ineffective runs, and if we do it right, we can run a bunch more time off, plus the time they ran off.

In the end we have to stop them at some point, and we have to. But that is true run or pass.

Comment

• chris9341
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Let them. Let them run once we have a lead. It helps. They start running time off the clock and slowly marching down the field. But how many defensive plays or penalties does it take to stop them? Just 1. So, let them run. WE can't so, if they wand time off the clock, they can take it off for us. Then we come back with a ball control passing drive, mixing in some ineffective runs, and if we do it right, we can run a bunch more time off, plus the time they ran off.

In the end we have to stop them at some point, and we have to. But that is true run or pass.
                      I see what you're saying. However what if a team like the chiefs or the 49ers get a lead on us do you think they are gonna pass on us when they know they can run straight up the gut on us and run the clock down on us? There are gonna be times when the offense isn't clicking especially Rivers and that is when the defense needs to step up especially the D-Line.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Who says teams can run straight up the gut on us? I certainly haven't seen it. It's been on the edges. The majority of yards coming on one play vs. Attaochu who didn't seal the edge. That and those damn QB's escaping.
                        Last edited by Beerman; 09-30-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X