• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    You don't go out and sign guys who are over the hill to FA contracts, especially when you have limited cap dollars.
    No you re-sign over the hill and never were guys to contracts to return a defense that sucked the previous year when you are trying to change the culture of the team.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
      That's funny, I've seen you dismiss it out of hand several times.
      No, you really haven't. People have discussed analyses that they have performed, but I have not seen them. How can I accept something I haven't even seen?

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
        Least square regression lines ... ohhhh snap ... you been bitch slapped now Yubaking ... statisically speaking ...
        Yawn.

Comment

• Yubaking
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          So then why do you insist on arguing math and statistics with those who use them in a professional capacity as part of their everyday lives?
          I am not necessarily arguing against anything, but I have seen no analysis that would tend to dissuade me from my own views. Again, you seem to be suggesting that mathematics and statistics are some unknowable things. I don't get that, especially from you given what you have said about your background.

Certainly, there are mathematical and/or statistical concepts out there that I may not be able to understand/learn, but I am sure I will recognize that when the analysis (not just some general discussion) is presented and I cannot understand/learn it. That hasn't happened anywhere on this forum so far and or in previous studies about mathematics or statistics.

Now, I am sure that there are many, many mathematical and statistical formulas that I do not recall given the passage of time, so I would have to review them at some length to be up to speed, but the subject matter is not some mystery of the universe.
          Last edited by Yubaking; 10-03-2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

With yards per carry
            Any teams win-loss success
            I can analyze.

I am right; you're wrong.
            Your post makes no sense at all.
            See Post Fifty-six.

All hail Yubaking,
            King of internet logic,
            Lord of vulture sacks!
            Well, isn't that sweet. Of course, I have not said that YPC was the key to win-loss success.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

NOOOO, I clicked on this thread accidentally. Demon, Demon.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Did it hurt? I certainly wouldn't want to be stepped on.

:finger:

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  It's like watching the movie Idiocracy in thread form
                  A science class and a San Diego reference. Nice.

Comment

• Yubaking
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                    Yubaking and Swami, I doubt, are related. Swami was a Broncos and Saints fan and had a hard time with grammar. Yu Baking is a Chargers fan who is obviously down with the smoky smoke. So he's all good with me. By the way, everybody, there's this thread called Strat-O-Matic, which is a place you can talk with and about Yubaking. Strat-O-Matic is a game in which contestants trash talk each other about things most people stopped caring about years ago.

I think Te'o gets his job back.
                    So do I. I was hoping that Conner had enough to threaten his job, but the fact that the team apparently will not even play him in such a limited fashion indicates that Conner's game is too limited for him to take over Te'o's job.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                      Beerman, if I were you, I would not be calling another poster dense when you are proving in the very post in which you make the statement that you are the one that is dense.

It is unbelievable how badly you butchered what I said. What I said was that we got comparatively more stops than ATL, the league's worst pass defense, because while the run defense of the two teams is the same (and it is), our pass defense is better and we possess the ball much more on offense (by almost 4 minutes per game).

I never said pass defense or our offense's time of possession were irrelevant. In fact, our time of possession last year was a key in shielding our weak defense.

Of course, better time of possession and better pass defense are both going to help a defense.

And contrary to the mind numbingly dense analyses of some, run defense absolutely matters and we are basically the same as ATL through 4 games. Here's a newsflash for you--all teams give up big runs from time to time. You don't get to pretend that it didn't happen. And if we could play that game, it would favor ATL because their big run against is longer than ours (55 yards versus 51 yards).

I looked at every single run against the Falcons this year. Shockingly (sarcasm), there were lots of plays on which they shut the opponent down for 3 yards or less, some that they gave up a larger gain less than ten yards (4-9 yards), a handful on which they gave up 10-19 yards, and 1 play on which they gave up 55 yards against MIN (20+ yard category). That's the same kind of general distribution that you get with all teams over the course of a season. What differentiates one defense versus another is just how many are in each category. And that is reflected in YPC against.

Total yards against is crap, which I demonstrated with my example of ATL's rush yards against right now versus every other team's at the end of the year. "But the other teams will have played 12 more games, but, but, but." No shit! That's the point--the only reason their total yards surrendered would be more is because they have way more attempts against them. That's exactly what has happened so far with the comparison between our run defense versus ATL's. The two teams have the same YPC against. Their run defenses are of the same quality, but ATL's defense has been run against many more times than our defense has through 4 games.

As for your notion that our defense is somehow great, we still are a top 5 team in time of possession and, inexplicably, nobody is trying to run against us. It is the most obvious concept ever. A weakness is minimized if it is not exploited. SEA (the only good running team we have played so far) is 3rd in the league in yards per carry at 5.1 and yet they only ran the ball 13 times against us for the whole game. Not one team has run over 41% (when rounded) of the time against us in any of our games.

It is plain as day obvious that our opponent's best chance against us is to run the ball about 60% of the time and throw only 40%. We don't stop the run very well, so it will tend to be effective. And when it is, it will neutralize our time of possession advantage and take our offense out of its rhythm to a degree because that rhythm tends to break up when a team has less of the ball.

Now, that doesn't mean that we can't beat a comparatively run heavy team (like the one we are about to play on Sunday), especially one with a crap QB and crap receivers, but I think when we play teams that can run and pass and can't cheat as much versus the run, our weakness in run defense is likely to be exposed or we will cheat so much against the run that we will create opportunities for those opponents in the passing game.

Finally, in addition to being a good in its own right, having a good run defense, as Dilfer noted, helps the pass defense by forcing opposing offenses into known passing situations. That is a better situation for a pass defense to be in than a situation in which the defense cannot be adjusted in anticipation of the pass.

Our defense is getting better, but it still has work to do. And you are dreaming if you think we are a top 10 defense. We are not a top 10 defense against either the run or the pass. In fact, we are not a top 50% defense against either (17th in YPA against and 21st in YPC against) despite playing against 3 comparatively weak offenses.
                      Well, so much for me trying to help.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

I am not necessarily arguing against anything
                        So true! "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

but I have seen no analysis that would tend to dissuade me from my own views.
                        That's because your own views are so deeply held, no such analysis is possible.

Again, you seem to be suggesting that mathematics and statistics are some unknowable things.
                        I'm suggesting no such thing. That it may seem so to you indicates where the failure in understanding may lie.

Certainly, there are mathematical and/or statistical concepts out there that I may not be able to understand/learn
                        Clearly.

but I am sure I will recognize that
                        Nope. Not so far.

Now, I am sure that there are many, many mathematical and statistical formulas that I do not recall given the passage of time, so I would have to review them at some length to be up to speed, but the subject matter is not some mystery of the universe.
                        Never mind formulas or any specifics. You're not clear on how the broader concepts work.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

You are so full of yourself! Naturally, the only reasonable conclusion can be the one that you draw.

I went back and looked at that play specifically, just because I am so tired of this bullshit. Conner's lips were moving in one shot, and his jaw was moving in another. Perhaps he was chewing gum, but I unreasonably suspect he may have said something that drew the flag.

But really, the only important consideration on that play should be Shawn Phillips in Post 56.
                          If I had to choose which side to argue before a judge it would be mine. Conner could have said something, no doubt, but assuming that he did is unwarranted when we have proof of other behavior that could have been the source of the (erroneous) flag and no proof of any other behavior.

Comment

Working...
                          X