• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    Lol seriously? That's your argument? That's why you think we lost last year? Insane.
    Wish we had another WR and Freeney was healthy. Wasn't really pining for Soliai...

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      And you can watch our team go home against playoff teams that run the ball and keep it away from us as happened in the playoffs in key situations during the 2007, 2008 and 2009 season playoff losses and as helped the Broncos get over 35:00 time of possession against us in the playoffs last year.
      Here you go, statman. The Broncos averaged 3.9 YPC that day, which would have had the Chargers as the 7th best YPC average on defense during the regular season. The Chargers had a better YPC allowed than the Seahawks in the post season last year (4.2 to 4.4). See how irrelevant stats can be?

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        Here you go, statman. The Broncos averaged 3.9 YPC that day, which would have had the Chargers as the 7th best YPC average on defense during the regular season. The Chargers had a better YPC allowed than the Seahawks in the post season last year (4.2 to 4.4). See how irrelevant stats can be?
        Lol. The comment about going home in defending a YPC stat as uber-relevant is hilarious. Why did you have to go and ruin it? I'm sure its still correct, because you will have to eliminate the kneel downs by Manning at the end of both halves and a any run by Hillman because that was just Fox toying with Pagano. If you do that, Bronco's averaged 9 YPC. Thank you for proving Yuba's point.

Comment

• Yubaking
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          @LRiddickESPN: #Falcons giving up over 6 yds per carry right down middle of def., and still one of the worst pass rush teams in the NFL.

Maybe you will listen if it comes from Espn. Love how you completely ignored the football outsiders stats that crush everything you said as usual.
          The ESPN comment has zero to do with my analysis of total team run defense, which is what I have discussed. Even if it were relevant (and it isn't), the 55 yard run that the Falcons conceded was in the middle, so the stats are going to be skewed this early in the season versus other types of runs because the sample sizes are comparatively small. (Remember, you are the guy that wants credit for the 21 extra yards that Harvin got against our team's total rushing yards yielded. Here, we are talking about 55 yards versus a smaller sample size.) Also, there is no ability to know who is to blame for the big run either. The comment contributes nothing to the discussion. It is stunning that you thought it was relevant to the Falcons' total run defense.

Further, DVOA is bullshit. Have you even read how they go about their scoring? I disagree with just about every single word set forth in that discussion. It is just like Total QBR (Total QBS) in that it counts the same play differently based upon an arbitrary points system considering things like opponent being played, down and distance, situation in the game, et cetera. It is complete horse manure and I cannot believe that anyone buys it at all. An interception in the last two minutes on 4th down does not count negatively, but one happening on the identical play with 2:01 left gets scored negatively. Fumbles get scored differently from fumble to fumble and get scored without regard to who recovered it even in cases in which the fumbler himself recovered it. WTF is that?! Bullshit, that's what.

I could go on, but the system is so stupid that it doesn't warrant any more waste of my time.

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

And you can watch our team go home against playoff teams that run the ball and keep it away from us as happened in the playoffs in key situations during the 2007, 2008 and 2009 season playoff losses and as helped the Broncos get over 35:00 time of possession against us in the playoffs last year.
            Since TTK ruined the fun:

Cinncinati Bengals 25 carries, 113 yards, 4.5 average - 27-10 Win
            Denver Broncos 34 carries, 133 yards, 3.9 average - 24-17 Loss

So if YPC is why the Bolts lost to Denver as you insinuate, how did they possibly beat a Bengal team that ran better?

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
              I am aware of that, but the fact is that we couldn't get off the field in part because of the Broncos' success running the ball. Also, we needed stops in the PIT, NE and NYJ game versus the run and couldn't get them. If we had played better run defense in those games, those games might have been won by us.

And I would tend to agree that YPC is a better, more reliable stat, probably like any stat, when used over a whole season. For example, Rivers has had individual QB rating games in the 60s when his season rating has been over 100.

The point I was making still holds. How can any Charger fan say that run defense doesn't matter when we have been sent home at least in part because of it on multiple occasions in the playoffs is mind boggling.
              Last edited by Yubaking; 10-02-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• sandiego17
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The point I was making still holds.
                This should be your signature.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                  Since TTK ruined the fun:

Cinncinati Bengals 25 carries, 113 yards, 4.5 average - 27-10 Win
                  Denver Broncos 34 carries, 133 yards, 3.9 average - 24-17 Loss

So if YPC is why the Bolts lost to Denver as you insinuate, how did they possibly beat a Bengal team that ran better?
                  Why do you keep thinking it is a valid analysis to adjust other variables along with an adjustment in run defense and then think that you are making conclusions about the relevance of run defense while ignoring the other relevant factors that you allowed to be adjusted?! It is pathetic.

Keep other key factors the same and adjust run defense and see what happens--over multiple games. I already gave you the example of IND versus BAL. They have the same pass defense, IND has better ball control, IND has a better turnover ratio, BAL has the better run defense and BAL is the way better scoring defense when just about everything except run defense favors IND or is even.

In your lame example, you ignore differences in number of turnovers, differences in pass defense in the two games, differences in time of possession in the two games, et cetera.

How do you not see that?!

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Also, we needed stops in the PIT, NE and NYJ game versus the run and couldn't get them.
                    Rushing TDs and Rushing First Downs have already been ajudicated as irrelevant. If they werent, (and they are), then they would be worthy of my consideration.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                      This should be your signature.
                      Its about to become mine

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

I am aware of that, but the fact is that we couldn't get off the field in part because of the Broncos' success running the ball. Also, we needed stops in the PIT, NE and NYJ game versus the run and couldn't get them. If we had played better run defense in those games, those games might have been won by us.

And I would tend to agree that YPC is a better, more reliable stat, probably like any stat, when used over a whole season. For example, Rivers has had individual QB rating games in the 60s when his season rating has been over 100.

The point I was making still holds. How can any Charger fan say that run defense doesn't matter when we have been sent home at least in part because of it on multiple occasions in the playoffs.
                        I don't think anyone is saying run defense doesn't matter at all but it's not nearly the holy grail that you are making it out to be. The NFL is a passing league now so pass defense is going to be far more important. But points allowed is the real important stat. I hope you don't try to argue that point.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

How do you not see that?!
                          How I don't see that? Its you who doesn't see that in your obsessive focus YPC. You think rushing D is why the Bolts lost in Denver? If we only had Soliai...You're spectacularly wrong so much...You mocked TTK's points assertion with this Denver loss example as proof. Now you spin.

That first sentence is a hell of a run on. I'm sure its brilliant, but would be All Time Exceptional if it allowed the reader to breathe.
                          Last edited by sandiego17; 10-02-2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X