Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

[QUOTE=Steve;114194]
    Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    All I read were excuses and that he's out of shape. Last I checked pectoral tears don't affect the legs. He was healthy enough to be active once this season. /QUOTE]

According to the article, he did a lot of conditioning and lost over 20 pounds while rehabbing. However, it wouldn't be the first big guy who did a ton of cardio and lost strength, and so wasn't able to be in football shape, despite doing a lot of work. Remember that Mathews and Tutu did a ton of running on a beach after their rookie seasons, and it got Tutu cut and Mathews puked the first day of TC because he wasn't used to running intervals.

The other thing to remember is that Jenkins was all about potential. He was not a productive college player in any way. He got everyone's attention because he was huge and played a position that is perceived to need size, so he translated it into being a 3rd round pick after a fair pro day.
    I'm sure Jenkins did lose strength, there's no way not to with Pec tears. That article the Yuba keeps yapping about seems to insinuate he's not in "football shape" and that it takes big guys a while to get in shape. Translation = he can't keep up with the cardio and that he's overweight.

Being overweight was one of the red flags on him if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, could care less. Allen was a better pick any which way you look at it.

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      You praised Siler broadly and then later qualified it when called out. Now your spinning again. Siler wasn't good at anything in a base defense, not run d or pass d. There is no broad or narrow spectrum, he made plays in goaline and less than one yard to go situations. And you claim others are homers and you can be objective?

In regards to Allen, you're going to the 'initially earned' a starting role now? Not many rookie WR do especially not for the Bolts. Who was the last rookie WR that did anything for the Bolts, pre Allen? Allen had a monster rookie year. It worked out because TT took the better player, no question about that now, except by you. You site 'experienced rating sources' as a basis of your Jenkins-Allen argument. Go see where those 'experienced rating sources' list Allen in a 2013 redraft and compare that to where they list Jenkins. My guess, Allen is top-5 and at worse top-10, and Jenkins below that soft tackling Te'o, but haven't checked since I'm not sure which you are referring to. Which experienced rating source you site should we review to settle this? Since I don't have ESP, go ahead, pick one, I'll look it up. It would be a consistent use of said source, right?

Also, if you think he would still be on the pine after watching him, you're not only biased, but blind. He is so much fun to watch, just a smooth route runner, precise, and very dependable target. That move he put on Sherman is highlight reel and he put on clinic yesterday, as he's done many times in his short career. Guys like that make a draft, getting them in the third round is a steal. No ''failure', no luck, just a great pick.

You did say Conner is a better athlete than Te'o right? Or is that a misquote? Why do you think that, eye test? I understand its a given that's unquestionable, etc. etc. (as are most of your observations) but humor me, what's the proof, straight line speed? Conner's weakness is pass protection, which requires some athleticism, no? Conner's 40 times are better than Te'o's, but does that make him a better athlete? Te'o's 3-cone drill and shuttle are significantly better than Conner's. How did that happen considering how much better an athlete Conner is than Te'o?

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

You are saying that "I keep ignoring" an article that was apparently not posted to the internet until 9:15 p.m. EDT on Saturday night (9/27).
        Well, duh! You've only written an encyclopedia's worth of posts since then, so I know you've been on the board, where the article was posted.
        Adipose

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

[QUOTE=Beerman;114196]
          Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I'm sure Jenkins did lose strength, there's no way not to with Pec tears. That article the Yuba keeps yapping about seems to insinuate he's not in "football shape" and that it takes big guys a while to get in shape. Translation = he can't keep up with the cardio and that he's overweight.

Being overweight was one of the red flags on him if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, could care less. Allen was a better pick any which way you look at it.
          The point I was making is that doing cardio is of no help in playing football. Doing a lot of cardio helps you do an activity for a long period of time continuously, at a moderate level of activity. I can easily see a guy being out, and not able to use his upper body doing a ton of light jogging and stationary bike. And in some cases guys do it to control their weight. But none of that is going to help you play well. Football is not cardiovascular activity, they can catch their breath at the end of the play.

Football conditioning and training is all about being explosive then coming back after a short recovery period and being explosive again. You have to be explosive on almost every play, and you have to train accordingly. So, they do lots of shorter sprints, and have recovery periods of well under a second. Player need somewhat of a cardiovascular conditioning base, but I would bet more than 50% of NFL players couldn't run a 5K without walking. But if you asked them to run down the field, gave them a full minute or two, then let them do it again, almost all of them could do it again. That is part of what being in football shape is all about.

One year in college, the cross country coach talked me into running because she literally didn't have enough bodies to field a team, and for reasons I no longer understand, I did. It took forever to get the explosiveness back in my legs to pole vault again. I could run a forever and not get tired, but i was never really getting up to my top speed. I heard it has something to do with slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers, and developing one over the other, but I never really followed that.

I have no reason to doubt that this guy didn't lose 20 lbs, and if he did, and was not able to lift, he probably did a lot of cardio style work. But none of that would help him, in fact, if he did too much, it would hurt his football performance. But he is naturally huge, and like all guys who are that big, he is always going to struggle with his weight.

AS far as Allen, I thought he was a great pick in the 3rd round. I didn't even think we were going to get anything out of him last year, but even if we hadn't, it would still have been a great pick. 1st round caliber WR in the 3rd round, behind 2 injury prone WR. What is not to like? Then he gets thrown to the wolves and comes out on top, that made it even sweeter, but even if that hadn't happened, Allen would have been a great pick.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Send PM

[snipped to spare us this repetitive nonsense.]
            For the record, I have not used Te'o's preseason injury to justify Te'o's average play this season. Why would I, when Te'o has been awesome when healthy this season?
            Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Interval training would not have been discouraged. Like I said, nothing was wrong with his legs. The only real thing that was likely strictly prohibited was bench press until the pec is fully recovered.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Send PM

When have you ever seen a non-demonstrative verbal trash talking statement called as taunting in an NFL game?
                Maybe I watch more football than you, or maybe I've just watched the right games, but I have seen it called at least a couple of times before.

But you know, I have seen some pretty amazing shit this season that I hadn't seen before. Doesn't make them invalid just because I'd never seen them before.
                Adipose

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

13 pages? I quit reading at page 2.

where is the beating a dead horse smiley?

:deadhorse:
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Totally wrong.

The quote that you have taken out of context was part of my response to a bleacherreport article that was attempting to make something out of the fact that Conner wasn't as hailed coming out of college as Te'o was as being of significance to Conner's ability to replace Te'o.

The point is that Te'o's hype or Conner's lack of it proves nothing. What matters is what each player can do for the Chargers. Thank you for helping me to make my point.
                    How is what I wrote totally wrong? I am completely ignorant of college games. I don't know jackshit about most college players until just before the draft. I haven't watched an NCAA game in probably 15 years or more. But you say I am wrong? Are you really claiming I am some sort of NCAA guru and not the college-ball ignoramus I claim to be? Interesting.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      Interval training would not have been discouraged. Like I said, nothing was wrong with his legs. The only real thing that was likely strictly prohibited was bench press until the pec is fully recovered.
                      I'm not saying they discouraged him. I think a lot of younger players will not follow their teams training regimes as strictly as they should, like Mathews and Tutu.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter, I thought the guy was a useless pile of goo before the draft. He got his ass kicked up and down the field his senior year. I never understood the love he got by so many draft gurus. I felt like Gaither was just as good, although I was happy we didn't draft either of them. The only thing I liked about Gaither was his NFL bloodlines. He was nearly as worthless as Jenkins in college. Maybe he flashed a little more ability, but both really sucked. I understand bring them in as camp bodies and trying to score a roster addition through sheer luck. But I was really glad we didn't spend even a late round pick on either of them.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Read the taunting rules. I did. It was a bad call. Conner was not standing over the fallen Jag, but was standing next to him. He directed no action at the player any more than any player who does a sack dance or signals first down after making a catch does.

You think nobody on our sideline said anything when Tourek crushed that Jag on the kick return right into the feet of our sideline guys. Talk without more is just talk or trash talking if you prefer. Tell me when trash talking by itself has ever been penalized as taunting. I do not recall ever seeing such a case. What I have seen is taunting getting called when the player gets in another player's face and says something or makes a gesture of some sort. I have also seen a player standing over another player (straddling him) and not getting off of him (removing himself from being over him) while striking a pose and trash talking to him get called as a penalty. But in this case, Conner was not standing over the fallen Jag, just near him. And sometimes those sack dances happen near the QB too and they are far more demonstrative than anything Conner did. Like I said--bad call.
                        You ignorant little pencil-dicked fucktard of a man.*

Now see, I expect an unsportsmanlike penalty from the board officials. I haven't stood over you, made any threatening gestures, or directed any action towards you. But the words I uttered are offensive and completely deserving of a penalty. Of that there is no doubt because everyone can see this post.

But we did not hear what Conner said. Perhaps he called the ball carrier an ignorant little pencil-dicked fucktard of a man. Or used the N word. Or called him swami. We don't know. But if Conner's words crossed the line, BOOM! that's a penalty!

Go ahead and believe whatever you want, but it doesn't make you right.

*Admins, I'm not actually calling Yuba an ignorant little pencil-dicked fucktard of a man. I don't even know what that means. I'm just using this to illustrate a point.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I'm not saying they discouraged him. I think a lot of younger players will not follow their teams training regimes as strictly as they should, like Mathews and Tutu.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter, I thought the guy was a useless pile of goo before the draft. He got his ass kicked up and down the field his senior year. I never understood the love he got by so many draft gurus. I felt like Gaither was just as good, although I was happy we didn't draft either of them. The only thing I liked about Gaither was his NFL bloodlines. He was nearly as worthless as Jenkins in college. Maybe he flashed a little more ability, but both really sucked. I understand bring them in as camp bodies and trying to score a roster addition through sheer luck. But I was really glad we didn't spend even a late round pick on either of them.
                          I watch a LOT of college ball. I have to agree with the assessment that both underwhelmed their final year (one a SR, and Gaither had no business coming out as a jr). For all the supposed NFL talent on the bulldogs D, they played soft and got run on at will. BTW the Dawgs are one if the teams I like and watch regularly.

Comment

Working...
                          X