• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

It's possible they end up splitting time, with Conner in for more obvious run downs, and Teo in for nickel and dime situations.

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

I think Teo will get his job back but I do like Conner's game. He seems to play violent, more of a stand your ground and plug type of linebacker than a dip and rip type like Teo.
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        Hard to argue with production. But I sure would like to see Te'o play for awhile when he's healthy.
        The same could have been said for Larry English.

Comment

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          The same could also have been said about Drew Brees. And he wasn't exactly lighting up the NFL prior
          to his injury.

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            Te'o's been more productive in 3 games this season than English was in his career. English is more in Mouton's arena.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
              Isn't Walker dealing with an ankle injury?
              true but he will probably be back before Te'o, if he even misses any time at all.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Injured Manti Te'o keeps perspective
                By Michael Gehlken4 P.M.SEPT. 24, 2014

Manti Te'o felt down on Monday.

He suffered a foot injury Sunday first thought to be fairly minor, wearing a protective boot during the trip home from Buffalo. But it wasn't minor. He had a fracture, further examination showed, and the boot he's worn for two stints of his early career would become a fixture a third time during an upcoming, extensive absence.

The Chargers linebacker called the news "definitely frustrating and devastating."

A phone call changed his tone.

On Wednesday, Te'o discussed his foot injury for the first time since suffering it against the Bills. It was best he had those days between, the phone call and time allowing him to reshape his mentality about a situation that, in his young career, has gotten old.

This foot injury is the third in 13 months for the 2013 second-round pick.

He missed his first three games as a rookie due to a foot injury. The current one could cost him longer. Coach Mike McCoy said Te'o is "week to week." A source familiar with the situation characterized the timeline as four to six weeks.

Te'o was "down in the dumps" on Monday, he said.

Then, he spoke with a college friend from Notre Dame.

"He told me, 'You're lucky. There are kids that are battling for their life right now, and you're nursing a little foot injury,' " Te'o said. "I was like, 'You're right.' It was something I wish didn't happen, and I wish I could still be out there practicing with my guys.

"But at the end of the day, I'm going to heal, and I'm going to be out there living my dream. Unfortunately, there are some children not even half my age that don't get that opportunity. ... When you think about it in that light, what I'm going through is nothing. Just got to keep working."

His foot ailments have come at an unusual rate.

Sources said this fracture, while to the same right foot, is not considered a re-injury of last year's ailment, which required offseason surgery. He also sprained his left foot on Aug. 15 during an exhibition game, sidelining him about two weeks.

Part of the frustration over these injuries for Te'o, particularly the first and now third, is they've surfaced just as he found rhythm on the field.

Last year, it was a process to make up for lost time; he was a rookie who missed about a month of practice, and it showed when he returned. This year, his experience should help assuage the toll. His 19 tackles in three games lead the team.

Te'o looks to "make sure," he said, the foot woes don't prove chronic.

"That's something I've got control over, and I'll make sure I'm doing everything possible to make sure my body is right," Te'o added. "It's happened twice already. Hopefully, it doesn't happen a third time."

Kavell Conner, a veteran signed in March, is expected to start Sunday in his place against the Jaguars.

Andrew Gachkar could see increased work as well, given his experience in the nickel package. The Chargers added former Saints inside linebacker Kevin Reddick on Tuesday. He'll likely contribute predominately on special teams, picking up some of Conner's work as the latter is more involved on defense.

That's the plan for the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Te'o will be in a boot, understanding his medical situation could be far graver.

"I'll deal with the consequences of playing this game," Te'o said. "I love this game. I hope to come back stronger."

Comment

• Faded blues
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2013
                  • Send PM

Eventually no

Chronic foot problems don't go away until you retire.

I feel bad for the kid. Really do.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Did somebody say chronic?

Get well soon, Te'o.

Go Chargers!

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

For the record still rooting for the guy and think he can be a productive player for us.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Gotta root for your guys once the games start (even Marshall ).

Feel bad for Te'o, he was starting to look like a real ILB. He's no Seau or anything, but he was a decent starting ILB.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

If he's going to miss games, nows the time to do it. Still like him. He was playing better than butler IMO

Comment

Working...
                          X