• Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
    premature evaluation logo:
    The funny thing is that this will all be decided on the field. All the blathering on this board about Yuba this, Yuba that, is meaningless.

If Conner (a 5 year vet btw) magically becomes an above average run-stuffing ILB then he'll probably start ahead of Te'o. If not, then Te'o will get his job back.

A simple "we'll see" is sufficient to end this thread.

His bio from chargers.com - half-time starter in Indy.
    Originally posted by Chargers.com
    Kavell Conner was signed in March after spending four seasons in Indianapolis. The former seventh-round pick of the Colts will provide the Bolts with experience at linebacker and special teams.

A Virginia native, Conner played collegiately at Clemson before joining the Colts. In four seasons with Indianapolis, he played in 52 games with 36 starts, racking up 236 tackles on defense and 24 on special teams. Conner has a 100-tackle season to his credit (2011) and in 2013, his 13 special teams tackles were the squad’s second-most. Conner also brings valuable postseason experience, having played in four games with two starts and totaling 16 tackles.

When not training or playing football, Conner enjoys watching international soccer. Paris Saint-Germain is his favorite team and Zlatan Ibrahimovic is his favorite player.

TRANSACTION HISTORY: Seventh-round pick by Indianapolis (240), April 24, 2010...signed July 26...contract expired March 11, 2014...signed three-year deal with Chargers, March 13.

2013: Season-high four special teams stops in Nov. 3 win at Houston...six stops on defense and two on special teams in Jan. 4 wild card playoff win over Kansas City...started at WILL in Jan. 11 divisional playoffs at New England.

2012: First-career sack Sept. 16 vs. Minnesota...season-high nine stops vs. New York Jets Oct. 14...played but did not record any stats in Jan. 6 playoff loss at Baltimore.

2011: Career-high 18 tackles, including one for loss, Oct. 3 at Tampa Bay.

2010: NFL debut Sept. 19 vs. New York Giants...season-high nine stops Nov. 28 vs. San Diego and Jan. 2 vs. Tennessee...started Jan. 8 wild card playoffs vs. New York Jets and tallied eight stops.

COLLEGE: Team’s leading tackler as junior and senior, finished career with 263 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, three sacks and interception...played in 52 career games with 27 starts...played at Clemson from 2006-09...sociology degree.

PERSONAL: Born in Richmond, Virgina...first-team All-AAA Central Region, all-metro and all-time leading rusher at Manchester High in Midlothian, Va.
    Last edited by KNSD; 09-26-2014, 10:09 AM.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
      I won't quote the rest of your post to save time. What have you seen from player A in the regular season? What did you see from Player B in the preseason? Lets call Player A Conner. Well, he hasn't played anything but special teams. Lets call player B Te'o. He hardly played in the preseason.

Your timeline is completely 'absurd' too. I said Te'o has been the best ILB so far this season. Not preseason, this season. You took exception to that and said you don't think so and went on spinning about preseason and special teams for pages. Not play at ILB this season, but preseason and special teams. Ridiculing that line of thinking is low hanging fruit, on par with Vaughn Martin analysis. There was no 'entering' anything. Try to keep up.

Its not even debatable, Te'o has been the best ILB so far this season. The other guys have barely played the position (one played one snap) and the starter opposite him was going to lose playing time due to his poor play. Your war on Te'o isn't as absurd as your war on Allen, but still, pretty absurd and again, you show no objectivity when it involves players you prematurely evaluated.
      Again, what is both absurd and low hanging fruit is you thinking/commenting that you can tell me what I meant by my comments when your lame and tortured interpretation of my comments ignores what I said/meant in comments before you even posted on the subject.

Look, admit it--you tried to get cute with your stupid "one snap" commentary and I absolutely nailed you on it--post #56, second sentence, all day long. However, I have to admit that that was not very difficult. As it turns out, you don't get to tell me what I meant by my comments. I know what I said and what I meant--it gives me a "slight" advantage when we are discussing what I said/meant. Any non-bozo would understand that very simple point.

Regarding the merits of the discussion, I disagree with your assertion that Te'o has looked more impressive than Conner from what they have shown this year (which includes the preseason just like it did/does for comparisons between Law and T. Williams even though T. Williams has played in the regular season and Law has not). Conner has been spectacular at times and yet to be exposed (all positive no negative). Te'o has been average most of the time and below average in a few instances. He is not playing at an above average level by any stretch of the imagination. If you think he is, you need to put down the pipe because it is playing tricks on your mind.

Now I can see the possibility of Conner getting exposed. We have not seen much of him in pass coverage and that is supposed to be a weakness from what I have read about him. Maybe with reps against first team players it will turn out that he cannot defend the pass nearly as well as Te'o who has solid instincts (to go with a lack of elite athleticism by NFL standards). But based upon what I have seen from Conner in terms of his tackling and play against the run in the preseason and regular season combined, my expectation is that Conner will be better than Te'o against the run.

So, it is reasonably foreseeable that Conner might be better at one major aspect of the ILB game and that Te'o might be better at the other. While Te'o may end being the better player overall, that isn't a foregone conclusion nor anywhere close to being one. May the best man win.

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
        The funny thing is that this will all be decided on the field. All the blathering on this board about Yuba this, Yuba that, is meaningless.

If Conner (a 5 year vet btw) magically becomes an above average run-stuffing ILB then he'll probably start ahead of Te'o. If not, then Te'o will get his job back.

I agree with you 100%. I don't know how it will play out any more than anyone else does.

Comment

• Yubaking
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          (1) Rep to chris9341.

(2) Waaaaaaa! He called me names! Waaaaaa! Admins!!!!

(3) Objective. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]474[/ATTACH]

If you are not acquainted with Swami, you do not know the true level of insult that that is. It just might be the worst thing anyone has ever said about me on this forum (and I get bashed 10 times as much as anyone on this forum).

It's right up there with one of us calling another one of us a Raiders fan. Maybe not quite that same degree of "dogshitification" of another human being, but it's up there.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

You can't use fumbles caused on ST in an argument about who is the better ILB, Mr. Yubjective.
            I can use forced fumbles on special teams to establish that Conner is better at forcing fumbles than Te'o. I like that trait in ILBs versus its absence.

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Agreed on all counts. But good luck getting Yurba the Geek to understand things that don't show up in the box score, such as leverage and missed assignments.
              I already have stated that I appreciate Steve's analysis and do not discount at all that it may be spot on. We will see.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                Haha SC! Awesome.
                He is the best at that.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

From what I've seen so far Te'o is a run-down only LB who can't cover anybody in m2m coverage and is most often late to the play when he drops into zone coverage (which is why he didn't sniff the field when things got tough against Seattle).

If there's no other LB on the roster who can be in the right spot and plug a hole when we know the other team is going to run the ball, then I think Te'o should definitely start.
                  Run stuffing is supposed to be the strength of the games of both Conner and Reddick.

Comment

• The thing is, Te'o is more versatile than Conner. That's why he was selected to start over Conner. Unless you think that our entire coaching staff is dumb as a jar of rocks, then.... you might be the jar of rocks.

And Yuba, no offense, but when everyone else is arguing against your opinion, maybe they aren't the problem.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

"TRANSACTION HISTORY: Seventh-round pick by Indianapolis (240), April 24, 2010...signed July 26...contract expired March 11, 2014...signed three-year deal with Chargers, March 13.

2013: Season-high four special teams stops in Nov. 3 win at Houston...six stops on defense and two on special teams in Jan. 4 wild card playoff win over Kansas City...started at WILL in Jan. 11 divisional playoffs at New England.

2012: First-career sack Sept. 16 vs. Minnesota...season-high nine stops vs. New York Jets Oct. 14...played but did not record any stats in Jan. 6 playoff loss at Baltimore.

2010: NFL debut Sept. 19 vs. New York Giants...season-high nine stops Nov. 28 vs. San Diego and Jan. 2 vs. Tennessee...started Jan. 8 wild card playoffs vs. New York Jets and tallied eight stops."

Sounds like we acquired Indy's version of Brandon Siler.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                        Look, admit it--you tried to get cute with your stupid "one snap" commentary and I absolutely nailed you on it--post #56, second sentence, all day long. However, I have to admit that that was not very difficult. As it turns out, you don't get to tell me what I meant by my comments. I know what I said and what I meant--it gives me a "slight" advantage when we are discussing what I said/meant. Any non-bozo would understand that very simple point.
                        You're inability to follow along is only surpassed by your inability to evaluate what you're watching, which is legendary. Remember the boat and AP stories...those were cool stories. Preseason ranks up there with the Vaughn Martin played on a legendary defense, therefore... analysis you put forth at one point. Just ridiculous attempts to validate 'analysis'.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                          "TRANSACTION HISTORY: Seventh-round pick by Indianapolis (240), April 24, 2010...signed July 26...contract expired March 11, 2014...signed three-year deal with Chargers, March 13.

2010: NFL debut Sept. 19 vs. New York Giants...season-high nine stops Nov. 28 vs. San Diego and Jan. 2 vs. Tennessee...started Jan. 8 wild card playoffs vs. New York Jets and tallied eight stops."

Sounds like we acquired Indy's version of Brandon Siler.
                          Those stats are missing his preseason numbers. They're incomplete and therefore invalid.

Comment

Working...
                          X