• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Having a backup Qb that cannot play QB defeats the purpose for a roster spot even allocated to backup QB. Nobody agrees to a backup RB that cant run, a backup WR that can’t catch, etc.

I will never understand the “but we have Herbie” thinking around here.
    Agreed. And I have said it before but why was Stick just given a free pass last year by Telesco and this year by Hortiz in camp. The Chargers have a bunch of cap space. And yes, I was advocating for Justin Simmons. But sign a real back uip QB for $5m (thats with incentives) - but gives thema chance if herbert is hurt. Stick isn't giving them a chance at anything.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Having a backup Qb that cannot play QB defeats the purpose for a roster spot even allocated to backup QB. Nobody agrees to a backup RB that cant run, a backup WR that can’t catch, etc.

Particularily because Herbie is on his 4th injury in the last 3 years

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Agreed. And I have said it before but why was Stick just given a free pass last year by Telesco and this year by Hortiz in camp. The Chargers have a bunch of cap space. And yes, I was advocating for Justin Simmons. But sign a real back uip QB for $5m (thats with incentives) - but gives thema chance if herbert is hurt. Stick isn't giving them a chance at anything.
        AUTOMATIC losses if Stick has to start games. He cant win a game, he couldnt beat the Chiefs entire 2nd string team. He cant even move the offense to score TDs.

What if you are in a race for a wildcard and Herbert has to miss 2 games down the stretch. Could derail your season

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

AUTOMATIC losses if Stick has to start games. He cant win a game, he couldnt beat the Chiefs entire 2nd string team. He cant even move the offense to score TDs.

What if you are in a race for a wildcard and Herbert has to miss 2 games down the stretch. Could derail your season
          I would trust Simien, Hoyer, Tannehill or Gabbert over Stick
          I probably would trust Huntley from the RAvens if they are open to trading him

Popper wrote about it today - something that the back up QB needs to be looked at seriously

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Particularily because Herbie is on his 4th injury in the last 3 years
            This administration has gone pass protect instead of alternate QB. Alt, Bozeman, Dissley, Hurst, Fisk. I approve.
            Go all out to protect Herbert. When our pass pro and run game can't get any better, then worry about QB2 if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Stick can play QB in a Stick oriented offense. He sucks at playing fake Herbert.God forbid that we need him. Because we do have Herbert and he will start at QB. If Herbert is badly injured, cannot play, Roman will call a different game using starters. Not this funky fake Herbert and the backups crap. We'll win some, lose some but we're not going to the SB with Justin out for the year. If it's 2-4 games, half Ws is good enough to stay in the running.
              But WE DO HAVE HERBERT!
              Get over it, I guess. Personally. I like Justin at QB a bunch.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

This administration has gone pass protect instead of alternate QB. Alt, Bozeman, Dissley, Hurst, Fisk. I approve.
                Go all out to protect Herbert. When our pass pro and run game can't get any better, then worry about QB2 if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.
                Its not about a warm fuzzy feeling, it is about common sense. A GM should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. All good initiatives you mentioned but that doesnt mean the GM can't find an upgrade at QB2 when it is clearly obvious Easton Stick cant play. He has regressed from where he was even at last year when he was 0-4. His confidence is shot, his footwork is brutal, he is turnover prone, and he cant move the offense let alone win a football game.

Jor Hortiz is smart enough to know he cannot go into the regular season with this level of QB play at the back up position.

BTW this is football, you can have the best protection in the NFL (which the Chargers dont) and injuries still happen. One of those 300+ lb lineman can go down on a play on top of Herberts leg after he delivers the ball and you can have a high ankle sprain just like that. Obviously there are countless other examples of freak injuries in the game of football whether you have pro bowl lineman or not. Those linemen also get injured at a high level of attrition every season.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Stick can play QB in a Stick oriented offense. He sucks at playing fake Herbert.God forbid that we need him. Because we do have Herbert and he will start at QB. If Herbert is badly injured, cannot play, Roman will call a different game using starters. Not this funky fake Herbert and the backups crap. We'll win some, lose some but we're not going to the SB with Justin out for the year. If it's 2-4 games, half Ws is good enough to stay in the running.
                  But WE DO HAVE HERBERT!
                  I think Stick has proven that he doesn't have NFL level talent and there can be no such thing as a Stick oriented offense unless it's just a hand the ball off with the occasional RPO.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

But WE DO HAVE HERBERT!
                    I still dont get what liking Justin Herbert, as every single person on this posting board does, has to do with Easton Stick being incompetent. He has been here for 5 years and has had chances to show what he can do. He clearly sucks.

Tell me, when Joe Hortiz and Harbaugh have made it clear they are all about competition, and keep bringing in players like Tart to improve the depth at every position on this roster, why should the all important QB position be any different?

The shame of it, is that Stick has been so incompetent it has been impossible to properly assess a very important WR competition.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I still dont get what liking Justin Herbert, as every single person on this posting board does, has to do with Easton Stick being incompetent. He has been here for 5 years and has had chances to show what he can do. He clearly sucks.

Tell me, when Joe Hortiz and Harbaugh have made it clear they are all about competition, and keep bringing in players like Tart to improve the depth at every position on this roster, why should the all important QB position be any different?

The shame of it, is that Stick has been so incompetent it has been impossible to properly assess a very important WR competition.
                      Pretty much

Posters want improvement at backup Center over who was the guy last year - can't even remember. They want better depth at backup OT, RB, - why not back up QB. I am good if they spend a bit more on back up QB and the person never plays.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

But WE DO HAVE HERBERT!
                        Stick sucks at playing within a Stick-centric offense. On the other hand, he has thrown only one interception this preseason ....

If the Chargers are up by 24 + in the 4rth quater and Stick is thrown in there, I have confidence in him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would trust Simien, Hoyer, Tannehill or Gabbert over Stick
                          I probably would trust Huntley from the RAvens if they are open to trading him

Popper wrote about it today - something that the back up QB needs to be looked at seriously
                          Tannehill maybe ..the rest....PASS.

In any case, the Raiders just named Minshew their #1 and that's who we will face.

Comment

Working...
                          X