Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I met a couple people in my life that were not big fans of the GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET! Two, to be precise. I think they opened a disco.

huge zep appreciation here, I don’t care how many riffs and progressions they lifted, they made each one much better. I saw their last San Diego show in ‘77. I’ve been to hundreds of concerts (one of the perks of being a broke nobody musician is you became friends with every broke nobody security and sound guy that works at these events and they always got us in free), that was the most big time rock-god rockstar rock show I ever saw in my life, still. For crying out loud, Jimmy did one of his solos with a violin bow! (Lol - dude did like his visual tricks)

Nutty - I did a short “all star” (cough lol - doesn’t take much to be designated an all star these days) set last year as part of a charity / remembrance down at Winston's and one of the songs we played was Kashmir - I played the part of JPJ, hows that for classic? “Oh let the sun beat down upon my face …”
    hahaha
    Amazing.
    Love it.
    Darius "4.36" Davis
    top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 1

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Katdnzr View Post
      I am from a small town in Minnesota. Started banging on boxes in my basement before my Granpa bought me a drum kit. Made lots of noise but Mom and Dad put up with it (thank you both). Eventually put together a high school band "The Only Solution" (attached) and played in all sorts of high school dances in the surrounding area. Our lead singer eventually went to LA and became one of the "I'm a pepper you're a pepper" commercials. 20 years later, I found myself in San Diego and decided to buy an electronic drum set so as to not upset the neighbors. Still pound away in my home and when my son comes to visit. I have a guitar for him to play and we jam to whatever music we both can enjoy. Occasionally I turn on the amp just to let the neighbors know I am alive and still rocking.
      LOL Katdnzr.
      Skinny jeans.
      I am from the "Bell Bottom Blues" era.
      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
        Day One...
        • Mar 2019
        • Brentwood, 94513
        • Send PM

Yeah, that was a lot to go through, to find out we haven’t signed Simmons. But that’s the off season…

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Love this music side road. I had a hard time letting that dream die in my 20's. Played in not serious bands in high school but when i moved to SF after dropping out of Berkeley pursued it with a bit more dedication. Played the SF clubs at the time, Mabuhay Gardens, On Broadway, Le Disque, the I-Beam, Stone in Berkeley. This was the immediate post-punk era of the early 80's. What I dreamed would happen did not happen.

I find that now I'm drawn back to the things I loved as a kid. Guitar, bikes and trying to get back into golf. Only one of those things allows you to pick up where you left off. Playing a instrument or golf don't.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Oh, man, the Ramones...my ears were ringing for about 3 weeks after seeing them at the Hollywood Palladium...and I attribute my current moderate hearing loss in at least some part, to that concert...ouch...
            Yeah Ramones weren't semi-soft, they were basically the inventors of punk. Saw them at the Backdoor at SDSU. anyone else remember that place? Also saw Tom Petty there. Those 2 shows were unforgettable. The other shows I saw there were forgettable.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
              Drummers today are lucky... they can get instruction via Youtube. I took lessons from age 9-13. Once I got a lot of the fundamentals down, I'd put some headphones on, plug into the stereo, and play along. I would try to imitate what I thought the drummer was doing.

ZZ Top's "La Grange" was one I was doing differently but never knew it until I saw a Youtube video.
              Great Gift Ideas for Drummers https://imp.i114863.net/Gjzq5rFrank Beard's grooves have thrilled millions of people all across the globe. One of their early h...
              every instrument. it took me a long time to learn some parts pre-youtube and there are 5 minute tutorials on any song now on youtube. would have saved a lot of vinyl grooves and time if that was available back in the day.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

I met a couple people in my life that were not big fans of the GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET! Two, to be precise. I think they opened a disco.

huge zep appreciation here, I don’t care how many riffs and progressions they lifted, they made each one much better. I saw their last San Diego show in ‘77. I’ve been to hundreds of concerts (one of the perks of being a broke nobody musician is you became friends with every broke nobody security and sound guy that works at these events and they always got us in free), that was the most big time rock-god rockstar rock show I ever saw in my life, still. For crying out loud, Jimmy did one of his solos with a violin bow! (Lol - dude did like his visual tricks)

Nutty - I did a short “all star” (cough lol - doesn’t take much to be designated an all star these days) set last year as part of a charity / remembrance down at Winston's and one of the songs we played was Kashmir - I played the part of JPJ, hows that for classic? “Oh let the sun beat down upon my face …”
                I was at that show at the san diego sports arena, now known as Viejas? Stones and Zeppelin are mother's milk to me

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

So lucky! I never got to see Zeppelin live. I started going to concerts right around the time that John Bonham passed.
                  My other drum heroes: Stewart Copeland (Police) and Neil Peart (Rush). I got to see both of them live.

Edit: Winston's was/is a great place to see live music... and won't cost you an arm/leg.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I was at that show at the san diego sports arena, now known as Viejas? Stones and Zeppelin are mother's milk to me
                    Luckily, I did get to see The Stones in '82 or '83.
                    What were the best concerts you ever attended?
                    OLineCentric

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Luckily, I did get to see The Stones in '82 or '83.
                      What were the best concerts you ever attended?
                      So hard to answer. I'll give you some memorable ones to come to mind. Stones in 75 was my first and my uncle was in the navy stationed in San Diego and took me and my brother to LA to see it. They were still peaking. I saw the who at Anaheim stadium in 76. Does any band have better rock anthems? I also saw Bob Marley in 81 at the Oakland coliseum and was backstage for that which was incredible. Ramones and Petty at the Backdoor which I mentioned before. There's something about seeing bands on the way up which is different. One of the best shows I ever saw was Prince in 1981 at the San Francisco civic. Mind blowing guitar player and showman, pre purple rain and hitting it big. And my favorite underrated band The Replacements at CBGB's in NYC when Paul Westerberg ended up on his back covering "Ben" by Michael Jackson.

you?

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I'll add a Jane's Addiction show at a small club in LA before they hit it bigger. I thought they were going to be the next Led Zep. Dave Navarro and Stephan Perkins were stellar musicians

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Not asked from me directly but I'm too excited to not butt-in:

Tool in Fresno CA in 2014.

Hands down best show I've ever seen, but I also haven't been to nearly as many shows as some of you old geezers (with love).
                          Darius "4.36" Davis
                          top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 1

Comment

Working...
                          X