• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I bet they don’t fire AL, first. I don’t know who that next one is - Marty was a seasoned experienced winning NFL HC - what is the pool of former HCs with Marty’s proven track record of rebuilding shitty teams in multiple cities into contenders?
    The closest I can think of is Andy Reid. Philly and now KC
    Jim Caldwell took over a very good team in Indy and Detroit was not so hot - and he took Indy to a Super Bowl and Detroit to the playoffs
    Del Rio took over bad teams in Jacksonville and Oakland but didn't have the success of Marty. I think he took both teams to the playoffs but nothing like Marty

Pagano and Jim Schwartz were one time coaches - I think Pagano is probably a better long term fit.
    Lately its been a run of younger coaches

I at once mentioned Pagano as a possibility if Lynn is let go. He has history with Telesco (though I get JohnBoy is in the room)

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

I bet they don’t fire AL, first. I don’t know who that next one is - Marty was a seasoned experienced winning NFL HC - what is the pool of former HCs with Marty’s proven track record of rebuilding shitty teams in multiple cities into contenders?
      There isn’t a guy like Marty who had done it twice in Cleveland and KC. Guys out there who have done it once are Harbaugh (his star has definitely faded) and maybe Cowher who’s been away from the game for a long time. If you go college than Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly fit the bill.

maybe add Tony Dungy to the list

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

There isn’t a guy like Marty who had done it twice in Cleveland and KC. Guys out there who have done it once are Harbaugh (his star has definitely faded) and maybe Cowher who’s been away from the game for a long time. If you go college than Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly fit the bill.

I am beginning to think Pep Hamilton will be our new HC.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I am beginning to think Pep Hamilton will be our new HC.
          I wish they would at least try him out a few games to find out what we've got...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Cowher has been out of the game for as long as he coached by now, hasn’t he? Too late for him imo. Same with Dungy - too late now. Urban did it on every campus he stepped foot on, dude builds winners, I’d roll those dice. Kelly as solid but I doubt he would leave the golden dome.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Cowher has been out of the game for as long as he coached by now, hasn’t he? Too late for him imo. Same with Dungy - too late now. Urban did it on every campus he stepped foot on, dude builds winners, I’d roll those dice. Kelly as solid but I doubt he would leave the golden dome.
              Good points, Mac...look at Golden Boy Chuckie--out of football all this time, and after his comeback, still struggling...wonder how long Mark Davis will let the Chuckie show keep going on...

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

So would I. Roll the damn dice. It’s gonna take somebody with another gravitas to tell Spanos to sit down, STFU and open the checkbook and otherwise if I need something I’ll ask you and you’ll say yes.

Comment

• Berserker76
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wish they would at least try him out a few games to find out what we've got...
                  Yep, that's my biggest beef with the Spanii right now. They could have tried a few of these guys out in interim positions after letting Lynn walk. Too timid to make a move like that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Jamrock is a bit of a dreamer.

Im sure Cowher and Dungy have had multiple phones calls yearly to come back and yet they don't.
                    This isn't a new idea.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If Lynn is fired and the Chargers do a search and people ask me who they should hire - my answer
                      Hire the guy that can be the next Marty Schottenheimer type coach. Big Andy is that coach now.

I just am not sure who that coach is - but I hope they can find him

Might be Brian Daboll if I had to guess of the never been a head coach before
                      It would be a coach who has had success but has the bad habit of not properly genuflecting to GMs and club presidents.

Coryell fit that description...Marty to a lesser extent.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

So would I. Roll the damn dice.
                        Problem is ain't no dice playing Gold Fish or Thumb War.

I think Mr No Risk-it-no-Biscuit himself Bruce Arians would've been the perfect fit for young Herbert.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Jamrock is a bit of a dreamer.

Im sure Cowher and Dungy have had multiple phones calls yearly to come back and yet they don't.
                          This isn't a new idea.
                          You may say that I’m a dreamer
                          but I’m not the only one
                          i hope one day you’ll join us
                          and the world will be as one

Comment

Working...
                          X