• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yeah Ramones weren't semi-soft, they were basically the inventors of punk. Saw them at the Backdoor at SDSU. anyone else remember that place? Also saw Tom Petty there. Those 2 shows were unforgettable. The other shows I saw there were forgettable.
    Ramones were not full punk and they didn’t invent punk. Iggy and the Stooges were arguably the first, but Sex Pistols, etc also preceded them. The Ramones were they the leading edge of the NYC scene’s translation of the mainly English punk movement into American mainstream. I didnt mean they were semi-soft in abstract, hardly. only when directly compared to real punk, and thats pretty true. Punk was anarchist, political, anti-establishment, anti-music-corporate and extremely over produced.

Ramones took the style of that raw stripped down loud 3-chord punk and wrote songs about chicks, cars, high schools (of course), teenage angst and parties. Very a-political, general themes that kids in America felt - we were the post-post Vietnam kids that didn't give a shit about politics and they spoke to us. Fuck politics, fuck revolution, we just want to get rowdy, ditch school, hit on girls, and party. They stuck more closely to traditional 1-4-5, 1-4-7 etc standard rock chord progressions that were more palatable to larger US audiences. They were the first big US band (not the only) that modulated the punk vibe by refining it to a package that could sell to mass appeal and led many bands after them to the further modulation that became new wave with fellow CBGB travelers like Blondie etc led. They also inspired much of the rockabilly that came just after them. Loved Ramones, they were utterly brilliant in an Andy Warhol minimalist way, back to the most simple and pure form of rock n roll - I too didn’t like hard core punk then. Ramones reached audiences 1000x+ what most punk bands ever could access thru this brilliant evolution.

Dead Kennedys were just after Ramones but more true to the punk spirit, hence they stayed in that much smaller but devoted niche.

then of course too many new wave bands got too many synths and sequencers and turned that genre to complete shit lol.

Tom Petty in like 79 80 era when he first broke was really good. completely different, of course, and very good his whole career, but I’m most fond of his initial (first 2 albums) work that had a tad more rock edge to it and less studio production quality - even if his biggest hits came later. He avoided getting pigeon-holed into any single era-limted genre, which enabled his career and impact to span multiple decades.

I love thinking about how music evolves, reforms, cycles back, and moves forward over the decades. good memories, thanks for taking us with ya ...
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ThatSinkingFeeling View Post

Jello Biafra is possibly the greatest lyricist of all time. His lyrics meant a lot to me in my youth and I love everything he did in the 80s, despite never really being a punk rock fan. They just don't make artists like that anymore. It's all so bland nowadays.
      He ran for Mayor of SF. His platform included banning cars in the city.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Vikes will be hamstrung forever.
        Wow, $35M per year for a 24 year old

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Thats crazy

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Ramones were not full punk and they didn’t invent punk. Iggy and the Stooges were arguably the first, but Sex Pistols, etc also preceded them. The Ramones were they the leading edge of the NYC scene’s translation of the mainly English punk movement into American mainstream. I didnt mean they were semi-soft in abstract, hardly. only when directly compared to real punk, and thats pretty true. Punk was anarchist, political, anti-establishment, anti-music-corporate and extremely over produced.

Ramones took the style of that raw stripped down loud 3-chord punk and wrote songs about chicks, cars, high schools (of course), teenage angst and parties. Very a-political, general themes that kids in America felt - we were the post-post Vietnam kids that didn't give a shit about politics and they spoke to us. Fuck politics, fuck revolution, we just want to get rowdy, ditch school, hit on girls, and party. They stuck more closely to traditional 1-4-5, 1-4-7 etc standard rock chord progressions that were more palatable to larger US audiences. They were the first big US band (not the only) that modulated the punk vibe by refining it to a package that could sell to mass appeal and led many bands after them to the further modulation that became new wave with fellow CBGB travelers like Blondie etc led. They also inspired much of the rockabilly that came just after them. Loved Ramones, they were utterly brilliant in an Andy Warhol minimalist way, back to the most simple and pure form of rock n roll - I too didn’t like hard core punk then. Ramones reached audiences 1000x+ what most punk bands ever could access thru this brilliant evolution.

Dead Kennedys were just after Ramones but more true to the punk spirit, hence they stayed in that much smaller but devoted niche.

then of course too many new wave bands got too many synths and sequencers and turned that genre to complete shit lol.

Tom Petty in like 79 80 era when he first broke was really good. completely different, of course, and very good his whole career, but I’m most fond of his initial (first 2 albums) work that had a tad more rock edge to it and less studio production quality - even if his biggest hits came later. He avoided getting pigeon-holed into any single era-limted genre, which enabled his career and impact to span multiple decades.

I love thinking about how music evolves, reforms, cycles back, and moves forward over the decades. good memories, thanks for taking us with ya ...
            You can make an argument for Iggy but Ramones preceded the Sex Pistols and are generally regarded as the first punk band. Malcolm McLaren took what he saw from the NY scene back to London and formed the Sex Pistols. It originated in NY.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

You can make an argument for Iggy but Ramones preceded the Sex Pistols and are generally regarded as the first punk band. Malcolm McLaren took what he saw from the NY scene back to London and formed the Sex Pistols. It originated in NY.
              Plasmatics? Wendy O was something else lol.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Plasmatics? Wendy O was something else lol.
                Yeah she was. I can't think of a single plasmatics record tho

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Yeah she was. I can't think of a single plasmatics record tho
                  I wasnt a fan, just aware of her from her antics lol. She was one ugly mutt. I wasnt a fan of the Dead Kennedys either. Just not my vibe. But even if im not a fan of some, i appreciate all artists....mostly anyways. Not DJ Khaled...that fat fuck has no talent lol.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

By the time the Ramones recorded their 5th album, "End of the Century," they had pretty much sold out, signing on with Phil Spector to produce it. I always thought it was bizarre to put on a Ramones album, and hear a cheesy cover of Specter's "Baby, I Love You."
                    (The same song recorded by Phil's wife Ronnie with the Ronettes...)
                    Last edited by Topcat; 06-03-2024, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• ThatSinkingFeeling
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Believe me I mean no disrespect, I mentioned him BECAUSE I have a lot of friends who feel the same way and I get it, at least intellectually, just passed me over personally.
                      That's basically me in a nutshell, I've always gravitated towards older guys for friends who end up introduce me to cool music or hobbies and many things stick while others just don't.
                      Jello is a legend to many, many artist I listen to, and I don't have to go past my personal favorite band of all time
                      SEPULTURA
                      who had Biafra as a guest vocalist on their track appropriately named, "Politricks".
                      Biafra was many things and bland is certainly not one.
                      Any JB fan is OG in my book.
                      They also used Jello write the lyrics for "Biotech is Godzilla" from the Chaos AD album. I love old Sepultura, in particular Beneath the Remains and Arise. For me, Arise of one of the greatest albums of all time and I had the pleasure of watching Cavalera Conspiracy play songs from those two albums at a concert a few years ago. It was a blast! I do like some of the stuff Max did with Soulfly too, especially the Prophecy and Conquer, which aren't too Nu-metal and sound more like Sepultura. 80s thrash is really what I love and still listen too.
                      Last edited by ThatSinkingFeeling; 06-03-2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        JH3 and Me
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

huh, you're right sex pistols record came out second - my bad. i thought it was first of the two.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Now all they need is a quarterback.

Comment

Working...
                          X