• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

D-Mac... I suspect we probably played a lot of the same songs back in the day. Which songs/bands did you play most? Which songs were your favorites to play...?

For me/us, crowds requested a lot of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Lynard Skynard, Zepplin, Boston, Doors, and Almann Brothers.
    My favorites: "Give Me Shelter", "Free Bird", "Sweet Home Alabama", "When The Levee Breaks", "Rock & Roll", "Smok'in", "Rambl'in Man", and ZZ-Tops "La Grange".

We had a large repertiore of songs that were crowd pleasers.

Edit: Oh, and how could I forget Eric Clapton's "Cocaine".
    Probably the most requested/played song.
    Last edited by Boltnut; 06-01-2024, 12:19 PM.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      We did more of the soft semi-punk vibe like ramones, romantics, cars, early U2, Romantics, Plimsoul, mix of covers and originals.
      Oh, man, the Ramones...my ears were ringing for about 3 weeks after seeing them at the Hollywood Palladium...and I attribute my current moderate hearing loss in at least some part, to that concert...ouch...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        D-Mac... I suspect we probably played a lot of the same songs back in the day. Which songs/bands did you play most? Which songs were your favorites to play...?

For me/us, crowds requested a lot of Rolling Stones, Beatles, Lynard Skynard, Zepplin, Boston, Doors, and Almann Brothers.
        My favorites: "Give Me Shelter", "Free Bird", "Sweet Home Alabama", "When The Levee Breaks", "Rock & Roll", "Smok'in", "Rambl'in Man", and ZZ-Tops "La Grange".

"Jessica"...Dicky Betts...one of the best...

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

"Jessica"...Dicky Betts...one of the best...
          Such a great song! I don't believe we ever pulled this one off live.
          They had such a full sound... 2 drummers, 2 guitarists (at times, 3), keys/piano.
          Their songs were hard to pull off with a 4-member band. We trended toward their more basic (stripped down) material.
          "Jessica" was not a stripped-down song. But an amazing song by Betts!

As a drummer, I loved the Allman Brothers. Excellent rhythm section!
          OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I didn’t play any classic rock back then. those are some great ones. I of course played gimme when I was doing a Stones band for a couple years. I’ve done Sweet Home in a band.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

We played a lot of CCR, too.
              OLineCentric

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Topcat always getting himself in mischief.
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didn’t play any classic rock back then. those are some great ones. I of course played gimme when I was doing a Stones band for a couple years. I’ve done Sweet Home in a band.
                  Gimme Shelter and Sweet Home were always requested when we played bars. So we just added them to our regular rotation. We had a guitarists who was a good keys player, too. He would switch back and forth between the two... or play the keys section on guitar (if it fit). Our first set would be 11 or 12 must-play songs. The second set would be requests we gathered during the break. A lot of late-60's and 70's stuff in the first set. Some newer 80's stuff in the second set.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Nice! Gary Pucket and the Union Gap are a little before my time. But a quick google search revealed a very familiar tune with "Young Girl".
                    None of my immediate family members were musicians... but my dad had a very good record collection that I loved.
                    I was introduced to the drums by a neighborhood kid. A couple years older than me, he was already pretty good. He let me play his kit often.
                    Eventually, he took up the guitar. Once I got good at the drums, he invite me to play in his band.
                    Being from a small town, I became the de-fact drummer for several local bands. I kept very busy... and developed my chops.

Even though my family weren't musicians themselves... they were very gracious. Having a drummer in the house probably wasn't ideal.
                    Yeah a little before mine too. It was late 60's. They were big when I was 6-7.

His name is Gary Withem and he also taught music for years in Chula Vista schools...middle and maybe HS so if anyone here who went there during that time may know him.

And yeah, how ever you get to learn and get to be the guy is a good thing. Sometimes it pays to live in small town lol.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

That's all good in my book. Interestingly for me, I was never a big Led Zep fan and they were in their heyday when I was in HS. I mean I liked them, just not one of my favorites if you know what I mean.

The only music I absolutely can't listen to is Rap. It's borderline music imo. And I'm talking gangster Rap.

Hec there were some tile guys on a job I was on who had their Mexican music on in an area we were in that I didn't even know what they were saying,..... I'd rather listen to than Rap .
                      The music part of it I enjoyed more lol. Listened to that for a week.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Topcat always getting himself in mischief.
                        What? I'm a music lover just like u Wu!!!
                        Last edited by Topcat; 06-01-2024, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Such a great song! I don't believe we ever pulled this one off live.
                          They had such a full sound... 2 drummers, 2 guitarists (at times, 3), keys/piano.
                          Their songs were hard to pull off with a 4-member band. We trended toward their more basic (stripped down) material.
                          "Jessica" was not a stripped-down song. But an amazing song by Betts!

As a drummer, I loved the Allman Brothers. Excellent rhythm section!
                          Not too many groups had two strong LEAD guitarists doing melody and harmony...one of the few was the East-West Band that played at Humphery's on Shelter Island...

Comment

Working...
                          X