• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

How smart do they look today? They have been a laughing stock for how long? I think IF they actually hit on a young HC that is good and a GM that is actually good, everyone would say they got lucky. Not because they are smart.

Smart is a word long gone around the league when refering to the Spanos.
    I don't think they're smart. I think THEY think they're smart... against all evidence. McCoy, Lynn, and Staley hirings all point to that. They saw what McCoy did with Denver (QB was Tebow at the time) and thought this guy must be a genius to be winning with Tebow @QB. They hired Lynn because they thought Rivers' was getting old... and they would have to rely upon a run game (ala Denver with Elway). They hired Staley because they saw a #1 defense in LAR's 2020 team....

There will be an OC/DC that becomes a good HC. The Spanni just have to identify who that is. Will they...? IDK. I'm hoping a blind squirrel can find that nut.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't think they're smart. I think THEY think they're smart... against all evidence. McCoy, Lynn, and Staley hirings all point to that. They saw what McCoy did with Denver (QB was Tebow at the time) and thought this guy must be a genius to be winning with Tebow @QB. They hired Lynn because they thought Rivers' was getting old... and they would have to rely upon a run game (ala Denver with Elway). They hired Staley because they saw a #1 defense in LAR's 2020 team....

There will be an OC/DC that becomes a good HC. The Spanni just have to identify who that is. Will they...? IDK. I'm hoping a blind squirrel can find that nut.
      This is where we have to let history be our guide and realize that they’ve never been able to identify coordinators who might become good head coaching candidates. It’s even worse as they have failed even when the guys were already on staff like Siriani and Steichen

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This is where we have to let history be our guide and realize that they’ve never been able to identify coordinators who might become good head coaching candidates. It’s even worse as they have failed even when the guys were already on staff like Siriani and Steichen
        Totally agree. But history also shows us that good HC's that bicker with management get tossed out with the bath-water (Schotty and Boss Ross). Which leads me to believe that neither BB nor Hargbaugh are coming here.

Another former Chargers coach (Frank Smith) will probably be snatched up this off-season and hired as HC. Please let it be us. He should be on our radar.
        OLineCentric

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

this is quite a random thought. i am not an expert on either Carr or Flacco, but Flacco seems much slower/statue-like in the pocket to me.
          To me, they're both 2nd tier QBs with good arms, fair mobility, and a distinct inability to be consistent over a period of weeks.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Totally agree. But history also shows us that good HC's that bicker with management get tossed out with the bath-water (Schotty and Boss Ross). Which leads me to believe that neither BB nor Hargbaugh are coming here.

Another former Chargers coach (Frank Smith) will probably be snatched up this off-season and hired as HC. Please let it be us. He should be on our radar.
            Do you believe Frank Smith will be a more successful coach than Harbaugh or Billicheat?If not then why bother gettin him?These SpAnus pukes need to sac up,open their purses and pay for a bona-fide winning coach already.Damn I despise these owners.Scum a the earth.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

This isn’t why he got the job. He rode the coat tails of Peyton Manning being his QB for a year. They were 3-13 with Kyle Orton, 8-8 with Tebow and 13-3 with Manning. This is the type of lazy research and hiring that I do not understand from front offices. Mike McCoy, Nathaniel Hackett, Luke Getsy, Matt Nagy, Josh McDaniels all had great QBs to make them look great and get them the job. They have all failed once they moved on. I’m willing to give Getsy another year to figure it out.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

He may turn out to be great but the idea of hiring a HC who has been an OC for 1 year (sound familiar) on a team where McDaniel is the architect of the offense would be beyond insane.

the chargers don’t have the infrastructure to support a first time HC. That’s why they need to hire guys who know how to build a culture and team. It would be one thing if he was surrounded by a great GM and Owner. He’s not. Whomever they hire has to be the singular and final decision maker of the franchise. It doesn’t work on the Chargers because there’s no gaps filled in by the GM and Owner. Have to have a HC who is the be all and end all

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Do you believe Frank Smith will be a more successful coach than Harbaugh or Billicheat?If not then why bother gettin him?These SpAnus pukes need to sac up,open their purses and pay for a bona-fide winning coach already.Damn I despise these owners.Scum a the earth.
                  I'll play along and enter the parallel universe... where the Spanii open up their purse strings.

I look at Miami's offense this year and I see that they are second in rushing yards (6 yards behind the Ravens) and 1st in rushing ypc (5.5) by a wide margin. I see they are 5th in total passing yards (even though their attempts are lower than teams in front of them)... I see Tua's QB rating has dramatically increased over the last 2 years (90--->104) and I noticed that they are 2nd in scoring offense (up 7 points from last year).

But I also look at what Frank Smith did for our offense when he was here (2021). I notice that they rushed for 4.3 ypc in 2021 but only 3.8 ypc in 2022 (once Frank left for Miami). I noticed that Herbert threw for 5,000+ yards and 38 TD's (both career highs) and the OL gave up only 1.8 sacks per game. Then I remember who our RG and RT were (Schofield and Storm)... and I think... yeah, maybe Frank Smith is pretty good.

Would Harbaugh and BB be better at fixing the defense... probably. Then again, I don't know who Frank Smith chooses as his DC in this alternate universe.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

If they were smart, they would say....hey this Jim Harbaugh has won everywhere he has coached. Even lowly USD..we should hire HIM!

Of course I need to throw in that Telesco needs to go first and a new GM before a new HC.
                    A GM that knows Harbaugh and they get along.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

I'll play along and enter the parallel universe... where the Spanii open up their purse strings.

I look at Miami's offense this year and I see that they are second in rushing yards (6 yards behind the Ravens) and 1st in rushing ypc (5.5) by a wide margin. I see they are 5th in total passing yards (even though their attempts are lower than teams in front of them)... I see Tua's QB rating has dramatically increased over the last 2 years (90--->104) and I noticed that they are 2nd in scoring offense (up 7 points from last year).

But I also look at what Frank Smith did for our offense when he was here (2021). I notice that they rushed for 4.3 ypc in 2021 but only 3.8 ypc in 2022 (once Frank left for Miami). I noticed that Herbert threw for 5,000+ yards and 38 TD's (both career highs) and the OL gave up only 1.8 sacks per game. Then I remember who our RG and RT were (Schofield and Storm)... and I think... yeah, maybe Frank Smith is pretty good.

Would Harbaugh and BB be better at fixing the defense... probably. Then again, I don't know who Frank Smith chooses as his DC in this alternate universe.
                      Harbaugh isnt a defensive coach but he would hire the right DC

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If they were smart, they would say....hey this Jim Harbaugh has won everywhere he has coached. Even lowly USD..we should hire HIM!

Of course I need to throw in that Telesco needs to go first and a new GM before a new HC.
                        A GM that knows Harbaugh and they get along.
                        Oh, I think Jim Harbaugh is the best choice. I just doubt the Spanii bring him on. There are many reasons that I'm not taking the Harbaugh Hopium. If it actually materializes... then I'm 100% in!
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

[QUOTE=jamrock;n1578396]

He may turn out to be great but the idea of hiring a HC who has been an OC for 1 year (sound familiar) on a team where McDaniel is the architect of the offense would be beyond insane.

the chargers don’t have the infrastructure to support a first time HC. That’s why they need to hire guys who know how to build a culture and team. It would be one thing if he was surrounded by a great GM and Owner. He’s not. Whomever they hire has to be the singular and final decision maker of the franchise. It doesn’t work on the Chargers because there’s no gaps filled in by the GM and Owner. Have to have a HC who is the be all and end all[/QUOTE]

Frank Smith has been OC for 2 years... but also part of Sean Payton's (OL) staff and John Gruden's (TE) staff.

The culture is already disfunctional. It starts at the top. Nepotism is the culture here. What do you think will happen if Harbaugh or BB suggest that John Boy isn't pulling his weight... or should give up his decision-making priveledges...? Dean has always seen himself (and his kids) as the be all and end all. Whether it has been decisions about coaches or whether it has been moving his ball club to LA. Unless the owner changes, the culture will remain. Dean won't shell out a bunch of cash to have someone else be the "be-all-end-all" decision maker.

Not recognizing this... is insane.

OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X