• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

idunno but that seems like a shitty prize if you ask me. Don't the 'Boys also always play on TDay?
    Yep...Lions and Cowboys and Niners, oh my!: A TRIPLEHEADER:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Another unofficial "America's Team" is the Lions ALWAYS playing on Thanksgiving Day. Why?
      you guys don't know this??? I have always known it has been a tradition that goes way back before I started watching football. here is a history lesson below from an article I just found....

=====================
      Let’s start with the Lions. They have played every Thanksgiving since 1934, with the exception of 1939-44, despite the fact they haven’t been a good team most of those years. The Lions played their first season in Detroit in 1934 (before that, they were the Portsmouth Spartans). They struggled their first year in Detroit, as most sports fans there loved baseball’s Detroit Tigers and didn’t come out in droves to watch the Lions. So Lions owner George A. Richards had an idea: Why not play on Thanksgiving?

Richards also owned radio station WJR, which was one of the biggest stations in the country at that time. Richards had a lot of clout in the broadcasting world, and convinced NBC to show the game nationwide. The NFL champion Chicago Bears came to town, and the Lions sold out the 26,000-seat University of Detroit field for the first time. Richards kept the tradition going the next two years, and the NFL kept scheduling them on Thanksgiving when they resumed playing on that date after World War II ended.

======================

The Cowboys first played on Thanksgiving in 1966. They came into the league in 1960 and, as hard as it is to believe now, struggled to draw fans because they were pretty bad those first few years. General manager Tex Schramm basically begged the NFL to schedule them for a Thanksgiving game in 1966, thinking it might get them a popularity boost in Dallas and also nationwide since the game would be televised.

It worked. A Dallas-record 80,259 tickets were sold as the Cowboys defeated the Cleveland Browns, 26-14. Some Cowboys fans point to that game as the beginning of Dallas becoming “America’s team.” They have only missed playing on Thanksgiving in 1975 and 1977, when NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle opted for the St. Louis Cardinals instead.

The games with the Cardinals proved to be losers in the ratings, so Rozelle asked the Cowboys if they would play again in 1978.

“It was a dud in St. Louis,” Schramm told the Chicago Tribune in 1998. “Pete asked if we’d take it back. I said only if we get it permanently. It’s something you have to build as a tradition. He said, ‘It’s yours forever.’ ”

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

It's tradition for the Lions and Cowboys to host Thanksgiving Day games. It goes 50-60 years. I started watching NFL in 1970 and it's always been that way.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

JCJ may be on his way out in NE? It appears to me that he's a guy who got a fat guarantee and lost his motivation to play.

But after the Chargers signed Jackson away from the Patriots in free agency and quickly regretted it, the Patriots now appear less than thrilled with their decision to trade for Jackson to bring him back from the Chargers. Jackson has been one of the most disappointing players in the NFL the last couple of years, and his future remains unclear, even if Belichick isn’t cutting him. At least not yet.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            It's tradition for the Lions and Cowboys to host Thanksgiving Day games. It goes 50-60 years. I started watching NFL in 1970 and it's always been that way.
            Apparently, some people are as used to the Lions and Boys on Thanksgiving Day as turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and squash...

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

JCJ may be on his way out in NE? It appears to me that he's a guy who got a fat guarantee and lost his motivation to play.

But after the Chargers signed Jackson away from the Patriots in free agency and quickly regretted it, the Patriots now appear less than thrilled with their decision to trade for Jackson to bring him back from the Chargers. Jackson has been one of the most disappointing players in the NFL the last couple of years, and his future remains unclear, even if Belichick isn’t cutting him. At least not yet.
              Addition by subtraction. I'm not wincing anymore every time I see JCJ back there trying to play his assignment. JaSir Taylor doesn't thrill me... but at least I know he'll TRY to understand his assignment.

The time that JCJ said he didn't know what he could do better... it was over.
              OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                JH3 and Me
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

you guys don't know this??? I have always known it has been a tradition that goes way back before I started watching football. here is a history lesson below from an article I just found....

=====================
                Let’s start with the Lions. They have played every Thanksgiving since 1934, with the exception of 1939-44, despite the fact they haven’t been a good team most of those years. The Lions played their first season in Detroit in 1934 (before that, they were the Portsmouth Spartans). They struggled their first year in Detroit, as most sports fans there loved baseball’s Detroit Tigers and didn’t come out in droves to watch the Lions. So Lions owner George A. Richards had an idea: Why not play on Thanksgiving?

Richards also owned radio station WJR, which was one of the biggest stations in the country at that time. Richards had a lot of clout in the broadcasting world, and convinced NBC to show the game nationwide. The NFL champion Chicago Bears came to town, and the Lions sold out the 26,000-seat University of Detroit field for the first time. Richards kept the tradition going the next two years, and the NFL kept scheduling them on Thanksgiving when they resumed playing on that date after World War II ended.

======================

The Cowboys first played on Thanksgiving in 1966. They came into the league in 1960 and, as hard as it is to believe now, struggled to draw fans because they were pretty bad those first few years. General manager Tex Schramm basically begged the NFL to schedule them for a Thanksgiving game in 1966, thinking it might get them a popularity boost in Dallas and also nationwide since the game would be televised.

It worked. A Dallas-record 80,259 tickets were sold as the Cowboys defeated the Cleveland Browns, 26-14. Some Cowboys fans point to that game as the beginning of Dallas becoming “America’s team.” They have only missed playing on Thanksgiving in 1975 and 1977, when NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle opted for the St. Louis Cardinals instead.

The games with the Cardinals proved to be losers in the ratings, so Rozelle asked the Cowboys if they would play again in 1978.

“It was a dud in St. Louis,” Schramm told the Chicago Tribune in 1998. “Pete asked if we’d take it back. I said only if we get it permanently. It’s something you have to build as a tradition. He said, ‘It’s yours forever.’ ”
                I knew they've always played Tday since I was a kid, I just never knew why.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  JH3 and Me
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

POTD ?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Yep...Lions are always on Thanksgiving day but they had sucked so bad for so long it wasnt a very interesting game. Cowboys always a Thanksgiving day staple as well.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

That is brutal. But...I still want to unload on the stupidity that infected the Panthers' organization for drafting this guy in the 1st round, with the 1st pick. He just got beat by a UDFA rookie from a Div II school. Literally the winning difference in that game was slightly better QB by the Div II guy. And to add further indignity, the Bears own the Panthers' 1st round pick next season because Carolina traded up to draft a 5-10 QB 1st overall. And the Bears, with that pick, might be in position to draft Caleb Williams.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

That is brutal. But...I still want to unload on the stupidity that infected the Panthers' organization for drafting this guy in the 1st round, with the 1st pick. He just got beat by a UDFA rookie from a Div II school. Literally the winning difference in that game was slightly better QB by the Div II guy. And to add further indignity, the Bears own the Panthers' 1st round pick next season because Carolina traded up to draft a 5-10 QB 1st overall. And the Bears, with that pick, might be in position to draft Caleb Williams.
                          I had huge doubts about him going high in the draft too, like you. he's a puny guy - I was taken aback at some replays of DL shoving him last night - it looked like pros pushing a high school kid down. I was surprised some of those weren't called.

btw that game was atrocious, one of the most unwatchable games I've seen (parts of, I didn't pay attention to all of it) in a long time. Panthers really stink, they could easily lose out - and CHI gets their pick lol!

Comment

Working...
                          X