• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

They are $28 million over the cap for 2024 and if we trade Bosa or Mack we have to add the rest of their signing bonus money into next year's already bad cap space, making it much worse than it is now.
    But you also don't pay there salaries next year so in fact - you go from $28m over the cap to $9m under the cap if you trade Bosa and Mack by next Tuesday. T

Granted if you think Bosa and Mack are worth $48m in salary combined - thats another issue. Personally, Mack is not worth pushing any more cap on and neither is Bosa to me. I understand Bosa would push 7m more of dead cap if he is traded but I just don't see he is worth keeping - he is not on the field. Mack for a playoff team might give them the sizzle to win

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not only does he look hurt... he looks out of shape. He was huffing and puffing pretty good out there.
      Maybe Staley figures he's better on the field at 50% than sitting on the bench whining and complaining and infecting all the kids.
      I'm just confused by the coaching staff's logic applied to Joey's playing time, ie; how can Joey at 50% (???) be better for the team than Rumph at 100%? I don't get it. Dude's not helping . . . . . . . . .get him off the field, get him healed up (if that can ever happen) them put him back out there . . . . . . . . . . . seems like a pretty easy decision - what am I missing?

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'm just confused by the coaching staff's logic applied to Joey's playing time, ie; how can Joey at 50% (???) be better for the team than Rumph at 100%? I don't get it. Dude's not helping . . . . . . . . .get him off the field, get him healed up (if that can ever happen) them put him back out there . . . . . . . . . . . seems like a pretty easy decision - what am I missing?
        Perhaps he’s only out there on a limited basis to make a highlight reel play so they can trade him?

If they leave him out there the whole game interested teams will see how unfit he is and disengage from trade talks.

Just guessing….

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

There’s rumors Ravens might trade for Derrick Henry. Can you imagine the Chargers trying to guess and defend Lamar and Henry on the run?

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

They are $28 million over the cap for 2024 and if we trade Bosa or Mack we have to add the rest of their signing bonus money into next year's already bad cap space, making it much worse than it is now.
            Another reason to be depressed about this team. Looking like '24 - regardless of who is coaching - is just gonna be yet another throwaway year.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Everyone is confused by the coaching staff's logic - except the coaching staff. t's not just the defensive side that is suffering from this ailment. Why isn't QJ involved more? I've heard the same stale excuse, too loaded at WR to give him reps. C'mon, man! Other teams manage to integrate their high draft picks into the line-up. These guys are just way in over their heads.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I disagree because the way the salary cap works -- you have to be under the cap to trade them. The Chargers are 28m over the cap.

Plus - the team trading NOW for Bosa, Mack, even a guy like Allen, only has to pay the minimum salary the rest of the year and they can release them as only Bosa and Allen have guarantees by the third day of the league year. If you trade for them in the spring you would have to re-do the contract.

Granted the Chargers could release Williams, SJD and Kendricks to get under the cap to make trades - but why wait until than, do it now

And for the Chargers - getting a draft pick and cap space , even a 6th rounder is a good deal.

Who cares about holes in the roster - the defense sucks anyway
                You NEVER sell low. You want to sell Bosa, Mack, and Allen for Dylan Cantrell, Emeke Egbule, and Larry Roundtree. SMH.
                Deal with the cap at season's end... that was always the plan. You will save peanuts against your 2024 cap by trading now.
                Trading now (6 games in) is a sign that you're quitting. The fanbase would never accept that... nor should they.
                Mack and Allen are good NOW. Bosa... I don't know what is going on with that guy.
                Bosa needs a good kick in the pants (along with a couple other under-performers).
                OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Thanks Rich, I meant to point that out. The signing bonuses get accelerated. Anything you got to spread out for the next 2 or 3 years, gets accelerated this year and/or next year. It actually hurts your cap.

And none of these guys are playing so well that another team is willing to pay a portion of this year's salary. I think the Patriots took on $1 million of JCJ's salary this year.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thanks Rich, I meant to point that out. The signing bonuses get accelerated. Anything you got to spread out for the next 2 or 3 years, gets accelerated this year and/or next year. It actually hurts your cap.

And none of these guys are playing so well that another team is willing to pay a portion of this year's salary. I think the Patriots took on $1 million of JCJ's salary this year.
                    So . . . . . . .sorry not a cap expert by any means; what's the plan for next year with these guys? You all make it sound like we can't cut or trade them because of the cap hits?? How bad is the 2024 situation?

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

So . . . . . . .sorry not a cap expert by any means; what's the plan for next year with these guys? You all make it sound like we can't cut or trade them because of the cap hits?? How bad is the 2024 situation?
                      Trading them is a really bad idea (especially Bosa). We already accelerated JCJ's contract. It didn't help us at all for this year... and hurt us for next year. The only thing we got for doing this was another hole in our roster... and a malcontent out of the locker room.

Next year is pretty bad. You will HAVE TO cut a couple of big contracts. $28.6 million over (only 39 rostered players)
                      Keenan: $23 million savings
                      M.Williams: $20 million savings
                      Mack: $23 million savings
                      Bosa: $14.4 million savings
                      Linsley: $9 million savings
                      SJD: $7.5 million savings
                      Kendricks: $6.75 million savings
                      Fox: $3.5 million savings
                      You lose cap space cutting/trading Derwin

And remember... for every player you cut/trade, you reduce a rostered player you have to replace.
                      Los Angeles Chargers salary cap, contracts, bonus money, dead money, and cap savings for every player

OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Perhaps he’s only out there on a limited basis to make a highlight reel play so they can trade him?

If they leave him out there the whole game interested teams will see how unfit he is AND HOW EASILY BOSA GETS GASSED and disengage from trade talks.

Just guessing….
                        There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

If Joey keeps complaining... I'd put him on the bench.
                          Every once in a while, I'd trot him out at CB until he changes his tune. Let everybody know who calls the !@#$% defense!
                          He can't be much worse than Vato, Ja'Sir, or JCJack.
                          OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X