• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
    Renaming the Washington Redskins had to happen. How come the Atlanta Braves still? Thank the Cleavland Indians for that goofy laughing, buck toothed Native American logo they’ve kept forever.

The Washington Commanders. Not bad, George Washington WAS the commander of our young nation.

A Native American tribe wants the Redskins logo back. They don’t see it as offensive.
    "They" is pretty broad. There have been many objections by various Native American groups.

IMO, the name 'Indians' wasn't offensive, but that stupid grinning Indian logo certainly was.

I am of Scandinavian heritage, and if the Minnesota Vikings had a logo as demeaning as the former Cleveland Indians logo-- say, a Viking hoisting a brew, his helmet askew, clearly drunk- I'd be offended. Because a stereotypic representation that either points out negative features, or presents a group in a less-than-neutral way, it's bagging on people that you do not represent. It's unnecessary, unprovoked hostility.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

"They" is pretty broad. There have been many objections by various Native American groups.

IMO, the name 'Indians' wasn't offensive, but that stupid grinning Indian logo certainly was.

I am of Scandinavian heritage, and if the Minnesota Vikings had a logo as demeaning as the former Cleveland Indians logo-- say, a Viking hoisting a brew, his helmet askew, clearly drunk- I'd be offended. Because a stereotypic representation that either points out negative features, or presents a group in a less-than-neutral way, it's bagging on people that you do not represent. It's unnecessary, unprovoked hostility.
      I'm half Norwegian...born in Minneapolis but raised in California...All I can remember are my Scandinavian family members drunk or tipsy...the truth hurts...LOL!
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
        Renaming the Washington Redskins had to happen. How come the Atlanta Braves still? Thank the Cleavland Indians for that goofy laughing, buck toothed Native American logo they’ve kept forever.

The Washington Commanders. Not bad, George Washington WAS the commander of our young nation.

A Native American tribe wants the Redskins logo back. They don’t see it as offensive.
        It's now the Cleveland Guardians of the Woke Galaxy...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm half Norwegian...born in Minneapolis but raised in California...All I can remember are my Scandinavian family members drunk or tipsy...the truth hurts...LOL!
          Too funny! Love ya, brother! Skol!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

It's now the Cleveland Guardians of the Woke Galaxy...
            Was Jesus 'woke'? Or not?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              JH3 and Me
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

It’s hard to pin drunk down as a caricature of any one ethnic slice. I’m part Irish, part Russian and … we drink. OR we did, I rarely drink anymore.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• YAC
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2023
                • Send PM

You think a team of any era is going to refer to themselves in a negative unflattering way, in word or image? That makes no sense at all. That Cleveland logo wasn't demeaning. Simply reflected the common cartoon style of its day.

Was Jesus 'woke'? Or not?
                Don't think that kind of thing is ok to talk about here. But since you asked: Absolutely not. His words: "My kingdom is not of this world." Never attempted to change the political, economic structure of the world.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

You think a team of any era is going to refer to themselves in a negative unflattering way, in word or image? That makes no sense at all. That Cleveland logo wasn't demeaning. Simply reflected the common cartoon style of its day.

Don't think that kind of thing is ok to talk about here. But since you asked: Absolutely not. His words: "My kingdom is not of this world." Never attempted to change the political, economic structure of the world.
                  Yup. It's all being over-thought.
                  I'm just proud to live in a such a prosperous nation that can afford regular ol joes like me to over analyze things and be offended by a cartoon designed to market a sports club.
                  life isn't hard enough, I suppose that's a good thing.
                  truly first-world problems.
                  Darius "4.36" Davis
                  top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 1

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Speaking on the 49ers, the notorious Chiefs fan pundit Nick Wright believes Brock Purdy's weaknesses will be exposed. I wonder if the 49ers will regret getting rid of Trey Lance this season.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
                      East Coast Chargers Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
                      • Send PM

Same can be said for germans they have drunkfest every October

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        Speaking on the 49ers, the notorious Chiefs fan pundit Nick Wright believes Brock Purdy's weaknesses will be exposed. I wonder if the 49ers will regret getting rid of Trey Lance this season.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SBoHpNK6s...ijzNZ3LqGthI6N
                        The same guy that predicted the Chiefs would go 20-0 this year?

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

I lived right next store to an American Indian for many years and he used to laugh at the uproar about the Redskins name. He still calls them the Redskins to this day and pointed out that this topic, like just about everything else in today's world, is appeasing a tiny amount of vocal people on the fringe. They literally don't care and don't even think about it unless it's brought up in the press by people with an agenda.

I have a great deal of Scandinavian heritage and most of my family was from and still lives in Minnesota. If they had a mascot like you mentioned, just about everyone I know would find it funny as hell. People are looking for stuff to be offended about these days.

Comment

Working...
                          X