• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Bosa & Mack are top edge rushers. Nothing wrong with developing Rumph and FBS sack leader Tuli. Fox is vet DE / Edge depth. There are 5 more DE/ Edge Maybes on the roster so the numbers are right. I'm not against another vet, just not in a hurry. I want to play Rumph & Tuli as much as possible. If we get another vet edge he should be short term and easy on the cap. Meanwhile see what the kids can do.
    Last year proved not having an experienced and productive edge rusher to back up an aging Mack and an injury prone Bosa was very short sighted roster construction. This is the last year before Chargers are paying Herbert big and some of Allen, Williams, Bosa, Mack will have to be jettisoned. This is a year to go all in.

Do we really want to be in the same position as last year??? Putting a lot of expectation on a rookie and hoping Chris Rumph can actually do something and look like an NFL player

Comment

• CivilBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

damn I knew Cromatie hated tackling but this was a whole new other level.
      He only likes tackling women… hence the many baby mama

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Last year proved not having an experienced and productive edge rusher to back up an aging Mack and an injury prone Bosa was very short sighted roster construction. This is the last year before Chargers are paying Herbert big and some of Allen, Williams, Bosa, Mack will have to be jettisoned. This is a year to go all in.

Do we really want to be in the same position as last year??? Putting a lot of expectation on a rookie and hoping Chris Rumph can actually do something and look like an NFL player
        Last year proved some things about last year. I want to keep working with Rumph and develop our FBS sack leader.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Last year proved some things about last year. I want to keep working with Rumph and develop our FBS sack leader.
          Great keep working and developing young players without proven NFL production, just don't pin SB season hopes on it in a very tough AFC with killer QBs you need to pressure. I would prefer management that learns from last year and adjusts appropriately.

Personally I don't have much faith in Rumph after 2 seasons. Very slight, cant contain the edge, and haven't seen a lot of pass rush ability

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

He only likes tackling women… hence the many baby mama
            Ehh just a coincidence. I mean look at Philip Rivers. Excellent open field tackler and....wait a minute!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It's not just about 'how many', although I agree that 5 would be better at such a critical position. We need backups that can limit the falloff from the starters - Bosa / Mack to Rumph and a passel of rookies is IMO an unacceptable risk. Bosa has a history of injury and Mack is 32. I don't think it's unreasonable that we lose one of them for an undetermined portion of time - hell I'd be happy to get them both out of training camp healthy and ready to go.

We NEED a Floyd or Van Noy level guy . . . . . . . and we NEED to develop the rookies for the future. We haven't done very well at that . . . . . .
              I think that is what I said - or meant. We have 4 I believe will be able to play. Rumph will take one more step this year and be a playable option. I expect Tuli will be able to help this year too. Past that its ?

Van Noy is fine, he's not all world. He played in 17 games and had 5 sacks, 46 tackles. If you recall how the season progression - he didn't play well until around week 10 or 12, he underperformed noticeably for over half of the year. He didn't have his first sack until MIA. Everyone remembers the last 5 RS games the most but how do we ignore the first 10? Are you certain that now another year older, he won't come in and need a 10 week running start again to get to a decent playing level? Perhaps that is why the FO didn't bring him back, as much as "wanting to get younger"?

I will take Van Noy over our PS scrubs as insurance but I encourage TT to look at all of the Edge options and not think its just KVN or Bust.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

I don't know who, but I think there must be someone that's more of a threat than Rumph. Whoever he is - sign 'em up!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

The backup edge rusher situation is starting to feel like the backup QB situation . . . . . . . . . . desperately needing competency. If TT & BS go into the season with these positions as is they deserve everything they're going to get . . . . . We're always complaining that we don't have enough depth - these are 2 critical positions that are the definition of risk.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

The backup edge rusher situation is starting to feel like the backup QB situation . . . . . . . . . . desperately needing competency. If TT & BS go into the season with these positions as is they deserve everything they're going to get . . . . . We're always complaining that we don't have enough depth - these are 2 critical positions that are the definition of risk.
                    After witnessing last year, there really is no excuse for it. That is not good management. Look how deep Buffalo is at edge, and they still added Floyd somehow with less than 1 million in cap space. Chargers sitting at 13 million.

Matt Money Smith was talking about this is last weeks Charger Weekly. How he would like to see the Chargers get more creative like the top contenders do to add the final pieces for a legitimate Super Bowl run or a run at the AFC West crown.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

It seems like most posters don't take into account IDL play and seem to assume that they have no impact on pass rush.
                      On the contrary, no IDL, no pass rush. All the free blockers take on the edge rush. We signed a vet there. Go wonder, huh?

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Ehh just a coincidence. I mean look at Philip Rivers. Excellent open field tackler and....wait a minute!!!
                        On the bright side, at least Rivers remembers the names of his kids...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

After witnessing last year, there really is no excuse for it. That is not good management. Look how deep Buffalo is at edge, and they still added Floyd somehow with less than 1 million in cap space. Chargers sitting at 13 million.

Matt Money Smith was talking about this is last weeks Charger Weekly. How he would like to see the Chargers get more creative like the top contenders do to add the final pieces for a legitimate Super Bowl run or a run at the AFC West crown.
                          Yep...it's like the Bolts are hoarding a stash of cash for TT at midseason to sign his usual injury replacement dumpster dive, coupon clip JAG FA vet leftovers...

Comment

Working...
                          X