• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

It is indeed. Dan Marino never got a trophy. Andy is a very good coach but the folklore statue-carvers around here ignore the HUGE part of his career to zoom in on the great bits. Fact is he’s been a coach for what, about 24 years or so? He’s got 2 trophies. Thats terrific, it’s also 22 years without them. A lot of long time watchers noted for a long time that he lost big games despite having “great” teams. Some of us even remember some very loud controversies about some of his very questionable moves in many of those games.

And I’m gonna say it again - Andy Reid blew a bigger playoff lead that Staley with less time remaining in the game. Of course nobody here cares - their hate is reserved for Staley because they know as a fact that no good coach could ever blow a lead like … oh, wait.

I’m glad he broke through and got a SB, he’s a good coach and also a good guy as best i can tell. I do think he’s got enough trophies now though lol its time for the Flip.

Its getting harder to win a SB without a great QB than days of yore - league keeps tweaking rules to favor the offense and enforcing rules more against the defense even after that.
    I do agree with this. That the league is so geared to helping the offense and they will continue to do that so points are scored

Reid might have two super bowls in 24 years - he also has been to three in the past 5 I think. Is that partly do to Mahomes - for sure - guy is a unique player. Seven straight divisions. Grantede, between Mahomes being a special player and the other three teams in the division stinking -- it helps. Kind of like the pats in the AFCLeast for many years

As for Reid, yes, they gave up a huge game against the Colts in Indy his first or second year there. And against the Patriots, I think with the Chiefs - terrible game management. Having Mahomes helps correct those errors in coaching to be sure

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

I'm sure having Mahomes is part of his more recent success but having 20+ years of experience must help too. Just the fact that he's lasted that long in a position where three years is about norm is a testimony to his coaching.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        I'm sure having Mahomes is part of his more recent success but having 20+ years of experience must help too. Just the fact that he's lasted that long in a position where three years is about norm is a testimony to his coaching.
        My 2c:

- he is a very good coach. Always has been, even when he lost big games and was criticized. (Btw - Marty was also a very good coach - same truth applies). He has gotten wiser over years as well.
        - Winning the SB is not as simple as the best team just wins or best coach just wins. Or any simple best XXX does YYY.

I raised the Andy 28-pt blown lead not because he is not a good coach, he’s a very good coach, his much larger total record reflects his superior ability. I posted it to try and balance the narratives here that one game proved something about Staley. It didnt. There are too many factors swirling at once in a complex frappe to draw any simplistic single-factor conclusion about one game. Alas, that didnt fact stick lol.

“No answer” is contrary to human desire - which seeks simple single answers even to complex questions that do not have a simple answer.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

My 2c:

- he is a very good coach. Always has been, even when he lost big games and was criticized. (Btw - Marty was also a very good coach - same truth applies). He has gotten wiser over years as well.
          - Winning the SB is not as simple as the best team just wins or best coach just wins. Or any simple best XXX does YYY.

I raised the Andy 28-pt blown lead not because he is not a good coach, he’s a very good coach, his much larger total record reflects his superior ability. I posted it to try and balance the narratives here that one game proved something about Staley. It didnt. There are too many factors swirling at once in a complex frappe to draw any simplistic single-factor conclusion about one game. Alas, that didnt fact stick lol.

“No answer” is contrary to human desire - which seeks simple single answers even to complex questions that do not have a simple answer.
          Simple answer..."We've been dancing with two left feet!" Meaning we fix one problem only to create another....
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Simple answer..."We've been dancing with two left feet!" Meaning we fix one problem only to create another....
            lol thats not what “dancing with two left feet” means but I hear ya. I look to the wisdom of the great American philosopher Rosanna rosannadanna who taught us all:

“it’s always something. If its not one thing, its another”
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              I agree that Reid is a really great coach and personel evaluator. People forget that he dominated the AFC West with game manger, Alex Smith, at QB.... Reid also beat the chargers using just backups......and Reid brilliantly chose to trade up for Mahomes..... and sit him for a year....

Reid almost never loses when he has time to prepare...... almost never loses week one or after a bye.......

a slight contrast to typical Chargers coaching.... lol

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree that Reid is a really great coach and personel evaluator. People forget that he dominated the AFC West with game manger, Alex Smith, at QB.... Reid also beat the chargers using just backups......and Reid brilliantly chose to trade up for Mahomes..... and sit him for a year....

Reid almost never loses when he has time to prepare...... almost never loses week one or after a bye.......

How long as he been Head Coach?

How long has Staley been a Head Coach?

Maybe these things take some time to evolve?

Just maybe 🤔

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Regular season after a bye - -I think its like 21-2 or something ridiculously good

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

lol thats not what “dancing with two left feet” means but I hear ya. I look to the wisdom of the great American philosopher Rosanna rosannadanna who taught us all:

“it’s always something. If its not one thing, its another”
                    Clumsy or awkward in coordination. So I'm basically saying we look uncoordinated in our attempts to solve problems. Telesco thought "Hey I'll fix the defense with only a slight diminishment in offense!" What we got was more of the same defense with a 50% decrease in offensive competency. Ergo...massive defensive player spending leading to eventual salary cap issues next year. It's always something so we basically are dancing with two left feet!
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This does seem to be the Charger way . . . . . . . . poor management / ownership

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

How long as he been Head Coach?

How long has Staley been a Head Coach?

Maybe these things take some time to evolve?

Just maybe 🤔
                        Yep...Belicheat was a loser in Cleveland for several years before he went to the Cheatriots...and started winning...
                        (by cheating...)

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

It was Veach who scouted and went for Mahomes. Reid gets way too much credit. And the division has been pathetic. It's easy to dominate when the other teams in it are bad. We have been their only competition, and ending their reign on the AFC West is a long time coming.

Comment

Working...
                          X