• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

It's funny, I still think of the Patriots as a 2000s NFL dynasty but they won more Superbowls after 2010 than before. It's easy to forget that they went 10 years (2004 to 2015) without winning it all. It's really two separate and distinct dynasties, which is incredible.
    Somebody can tell Brady's record in PO on that period ?
    Amazing !

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
      Since Balboa Stadium
      • Sep 2022
      • LA
      • Send PM

Ok something is askew. The Chargers fire Lombardi. The Broncos hire Peyton. Peyton hires Lombardi.

ergo...Brandon Staley is smarter than Sean Peyton.

We fired the wrong guy.
      Last edited by QuiteFrankly; 02-02-2023, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
        Ok something is askew. The Chargers fire Lombardi. The Broncos hire Peyton. Peyton hire Lombardi.

We fired the wrong guy.
        No, we didn't fire enough guys.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Pro Bowl Dodgeball - Derwin James representin'

epic.png

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
            Ok something is askew. The Chargers fire Lombardi. The Broncos hire Peyton. Peyton hires Lombardi.

We fired the wrong guy.
            Lombardi will do what Payton tells him to do . . . . . Staley didn't have enough sand in the pants to pull that off . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

No, we didn't fire enough guys.
              Charger life - encapsulated into 5 words, F****** outstanding!

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Lombardi will do what Payton tells him to do . . . . . Staley didn't have enough sand in the pants to pull that off . . .
                Payton will be calling the plays and be the real OC. We don't even know what position Lombardi is rumored for - QB coach again?

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Payton will be calling the plays and be the real OC. We don't even know what position Lombardi is rumored for - QB coach again?
                  Clipboard holder and Waterboy! Sorry, couldn't resist.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I've been reading accounts that say Nick Sirianni doesn't do anything for the Eagles, that the team's success is due to the OC/DC. I doubt that is true, but it is true that Shane Steichen, Jalen Hurts' OC, who was Herbert's rookie year OC, is one of the most sought after HC candidates right now.

When Staley was announced as the new HC in 2021, I was really hoping they would retain Steichen. But Staley fired him and hired Lombardi.

To me, this is a classic case of Chargering. You luck into drafting a generational talent at QB and as rookie - who had to step in and take over the offense on a moment's notice after he'd been prepared as a backup - he has the best rookie season in league history. You make a coaching change in the offseason to upgrade at head coach. But instead of keeping the OC who helped your rookie QB achieve greatness as a rookie, you fire him and bring in someone else (Lombardi). Then the OC who helped your young phenom QB achieve greatness becomes the OC for a QB drafted in the same class who is not on your young phenom's level, and a year later the OC you discarded has his new, less-talented QB in the Super Bowl, while the OC you hired to replace him is a failure whom you fire after two seasons.

Think about what might've been if Telesco/Spanoses had made keeping Steichen as Herbert's OC a condition when they hired Staley. Would Staley have refused the job if that were made a condition?

Steichen was on the Chargers' staff from 2011-2020, save one year (2013) he was on Cleveland's staff. Sirianni was on the Chargers' staff for five seasons (2013-17).

Oh how I wish Steichen were returning to the Chargers this season as their HC.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      I've been reading accounts that say Nick Sirianni doesn't do anything for the Eagles, that the team's success is due to the OC/DC. I doubt that is true, but it is true that Shane Steichen, Jalen Hurts' OC, who was Herbert's rookie year OC, is one of the most sought after HC candidates right now.

When Staley was announced as the new HC in 2021, I was really hoping they would retain Steichen. But Staley fired him and hired Lombardi.

To me, this is a classic case of Chargering. You luck into drafting a generational talent at QB and as rookie - who had to step in and take over the offense on a moment's notice after he'd been prepared as a backup - he has the best rookie season in league history. You make a coaching change in the offseason to upgrade at head coach. But instead of keeping the OC who helped your rookie QB achieve greatness as a rookie, you fire him and bring in someone else (Lombardi). Then the OC who helped your young phenom QB achieve greatness becomes the OC for a QB drafted in the same class who is not on your young phenom's level, and a year later the OC you discarded has his new, less-talented QB in the Super Bowl, while the OC you hired to replace him is a failure whom you fire after two seasons.

Think about what might've been if Telesco/Spanoses had made keeping Steichen as Herbert's OC a condition when they hired Staley. Would Staley have refused the job if that were made a condition?

Steichen was on the Chargers' staff from 2011-2020, save one year (2013) he was on Cleveland's staff. Sirianni was on the Chargers' staff for five seasons (2013-17).

I want to know specifics before I crucify BS.
                      Frankly, I don't even know what is fact surrounding the situation, or even what the usual protocol is when a new HC is hired.
                      Is it common practice to interview staff already on board for their same job?
                      did Steichen want to be here?
                      just 2 of many important pieces of information I need.

I want to be fair to BS, even if he's full of BS sometimes.
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Clipboard holder and Waterboy! Sorry, couldn't resist.
                        Hire me.
                        I know how to call stick-routes all day.
                        I even stand on the sideline.
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Sigh . . . .revisionist history is such a fun game to play with this organization - they've given us so much to work with, but we're not alone; all franchises make bad decisions (particularly in hindsight). I'm pretty sure Cleveland would like to have Belichick back . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X