• Show
Clear All
  • El_Tee
    I’m No Noob
    • Sep 2019
    • Disney World, FL
    • Send PM

Rivers- Upon Further Review

I took a look at our 2019 season and I see a few things that probably cost us. One thing that goes unmentioned is the fact that Rivers didn’t play much at all during pre-season games. Sure, he has scrimmages but they purposefully kept his snap count extremely low for the four pre-season games. I’m not sure how much that matters, but it must mean SOMETHING... otherwise why would they do it? And what were the results for him on the field? Correlation or outlier?

I saw 5 games this year that were directly Rivers’ fault. It wasn’t every game for sure.

I could list those 5 losses and break down my opinions but it’s subjective in some regards anyhow. I’d argue games with more than a single INT or no TD passes are critical. Either way, he isn’t responsible for 11 losses. For example, still fresh in our minds, yesterday’s loss wasn’t 100% on him.

Our receivers had had plenty of drops this year. Patton epitomizes “suck”. Why we kept forcing him the ball so much I’ll never know.

But I see something alarming that can’t be ignored either.

His biggest scoring output was a 3 TD game against JAX.

He averaged less than 2 passing TD a game down the stretch where he had Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, Austin Ekeler and Melvin Gordon. Let that sink in. To average under 2 TD a game is criminal.

Our defense didn’t create enough turnovers. Our defense lost us some games. But in at least a few of those games Rivers should’ve had a blowout performance to overcome that. Rivers’ last 4+ TD performance was 2016 (had two games w/ 4 TDs that season).

At some point we need to see Rivers taking control of games and making things happen. I’m tired of excuses. I don’t excuse Bosa and Supa when they have games where they aren’t creating havoc. They’ve been ghosts at times too. At least what most fans should see as flat performances.

But this is about Rivers. And while he isn’t responsible for 11 losses, he’s 100% not blameless and a little better play this year gets us in the post season no doubt.

The common argument is the OL. This is supported by the fact that we had the 28th ranked rushing attack with Gordon, Ekeler, Jackson. A fine trio that reminds me some of Tomlinson, Sproles, Turner in terms of depth and diversity in one group. Early in the season with Pouncey under C we seemed to run the ball better than as the season went along. And there was a definite negative bump when Gordon came back and struggled for the first 4 games IIRC.

But we were 6th in passing yards. We moved the ball, just didn’t score. 7-8 red zone Rivers turnovers didn’t help. I think if not mistaken he led the league in that category.

Either he’s one of the very best QBs to never win a ring, or he’s a regular season stat machine, playoffs choker and ready to be someone else’s problem.

I’m mixed. I hate that Joe Flacco got a ring and Big Ben and Eli both have 2, but Rivers never did. He’s a better QB than any of those three. But Flacco had perhaps the best postseason of any QB in league history when he won his ring. He showed up at crunch time and balled the hell out.

Rivers rarely has.

Times like “Philcember” and hyped up media spouting, “Chargers are the team nobody wants to see in January” are long gone in the rear-view.

And while I appreciate and agree that he feels “he’s given all he possibly can”, I’d argue that’s most NFL players and just because you gave us all, doesn’t mean it was enough.
  • Electric Chicken
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by El_Tee View Post
    I took a look at our 2019 season and I see a few things that probably cost us. One thing that goes unmentioned is the fact that Rivers didn’t play much at all during pre-season games. Sure, he has scrimmages but they purposefully kept his snap count extremely low for the four pre-season games. I’m not sure how much that matters, but it must mean SOMETHING... otherwise why would they do it? And what were the results for him on the field? Correlation or outlier?

I saw 5 games this year that were directly Rivers’ fault. It wasn’t every game for sure.

I could list those 5 losses and break down my opinions but it’s subjective in some regards anyhow. I’d argue games with more than a single INT or no TD passes are critical. Either way, he isn’t responsible for 11 losses. For example, still fresh in our minds, yesterday’s loss wasn’t 100% on him.

Our receivers had had plenty of drops this year. Patton epitomizes “suck”. Why we kept forcing him the ball so much I’ll never know.

He averaged less than 2 passing TD a game down the stretch where he had Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, Austin Ekeler and Melvin Gordon. Let that sink in. To average under 2 TD a game is criminal.

Our defense didn’t create enough turnovers. Our defense lost us some games. But in at least a few of those games Rivers should’ve had a blowout performance to overcome that. Rivers’ last 4+ TD performance was 2016 (had two games w/ 4 TDs that season).

At some point we need to see Rivers taking control of games and making things happen. I’m tired of excuses. I don’t excuse Bosa and Supa when they have games where they aren’t creating havoc. They’ve been ghosts at times too. At least what most fans should see as flat performances.

But this is about Rivers. And while he isn’t responsible for 11 losses, he’s 100% not blameless and a little better play this year gets us in the post season no doubt.

The common argument is the OL. This is supported by the fact that we had the 28th ranked rushing attack with Gordon, Ekeler, Jackson. A fine trio that reminds me some of Tomlinson, Sproles, Turner in terms of depth and diversity in one group. Early in the season with Pouncey under C we seemed to run the ball better than as the season went along. And there was a definite negative bump when Gordon came back and struggled for the first 4 games IIRC.

But we were 6th in passing yards. We moved the ball, just didn’t score. 7-8 red zone Rivers turnovers didn’t help. I think if not mistaken he led the league in that category.

Either he’s one of the very best QBs to never win a ring, or he’s a regular season stat machine, playoffs choker and ready to be someone else’s problem.

I’m mixed. I hate that Joe Flacco got a ring and Big Ben and Eli both have 2, but Rivers never did. He’s a better QB than any of those three. But Flacco had perhaps the best postseason of any QB in league history when he won his ring. He showed up at crunch time and balled the hell out.

Rivers rarely has.

Times like “Philcember” and hyped up media spouting, “Chargers are the team nobody wants to see in January” are long gone in the rear-view.

And while I appreciate and agree that he feels “he’s given all he possibly can”, I’d argue that’s most NFL players and just because you gave us all, doesn’t mean it was enough.
    Phillip is the King of 17 points

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Rivers rarely has.

Agree that PR's lack of preseason PT probably contributes to his typical slow starts. As I have pointed out many times, Rivers tends to melt down in crunch time. Not EVERY time, but it is a frequent issue of his. And when he melts down, he forces the rock into coverage for picks that lose us games. Over. And over. And over again. Sorry, done with him. Time to find a QB who is more mobile and cool under pressure.

Comment

• AFCWEST
        Registered Chiefs Fan
        • Dec 2018
        • Send PM

Rivers rarely has.

EXACTLY

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

5 losses flips a 5-11 season to 10-6. add a couple lucky breaks and its another 12-4 year, a la 2018. but alas they got no lucky breaks this year anywhere. that was what I saw too. Phil didn't personally lose all 11 games, he just lost too many of them. Then you might add a couple games he didn't lose, but also didn't win.

I don't think PS had that much to do with it - even if he "played" a regular PS workload, its a total of maybe 3 or 4 more quarters of ball. If you can't resharpen the blade in 17 weeks, one extra scrimmage probably didn't make the difference imo. And his blade wasn't any sharper the last 4 games as the first 4 imo.

I think the OL debacle just ground him down until he just expected failure, defeat, expected to lose. He could never vocalize or say it, its not him, i'd venture he never consciously knew it - he doesn't have quit or give up in him. but it got in his subconscious psyche and caused him to spaz with utterly un-Pro caliber QB play. he played like a bad rookie many many times in the year with coach-killer like bad behaviors.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• onthefence
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree that PR's lack of preseason PT probably contributes to his typical slow starts. As I have pointed out many times, Rivers tends to melt down in crunch time. Not EVERY time, but it is a frequent issue of his. And when he melts down, he forces the rock into coverage for picks that lose us games. Over. And over. And over again. Sorry, done with him. Time to find a QB who is more mobile and cool under pressure.
            It's a tough thing, you have a guy who always gave it his all and was dedicated.but was always wound just a little too tight for major pressure situations.You cannot say the did not have their chances over the last 14 seasons.Even in the years they were winning with a good o-lines he was mediocre, at best, in playoff games.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I will admit it ,,, I will miss Phillip slinging the rock deep to M. Williams with triple coverage for a pic ,, with K. Allen wide open for 10 yards
              and the game on the line
              Last edited by Electric Chicken; 12-30-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• PR#1
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

I agree that the constant "Oline debacle" ground him down. He sped up his footwork and made alot of bad passes unlike the 12-4 season before where Okung and Pouncey were the foundation of the Oline and he could trust it.

Either way the Rivers Era is over and he's never coming back.

I just wonder who Charger fans will blame next season after finishing 3-13 ?

Charger fans aren't going to have Rivers to kick around anymore !

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

In the first 4 games, Rivers had 7 TD passes vs 2 interceptions. Lack of snaps in preseason game is not an issue.

As for the really off-base comment "To average under 2 TD a game is criminal" than his entire career has been criminal since he has played in 228 games and has thrown 397 TDs, an average of 1.77 TDs per game. As an FYI since so many people were screaming that we should have benched Rivers and put in Taylor, he has 54 TDs in 70 games played, an average of 0.77 TDs per game. Let that sink in if you want to use him as our bridge QB next year and get ready for even fewer points scored.

Rivers problems were all decision making issues, playing behind a crappy offensive line that "broke" him. Not sure if he can return to his 2018 form with more talent or if the team will move on, but we'll soon find out.

Comment

• El_Tee
                    I’m No Noob
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Disney World, FL
                    • Send PM

Rivers has always said he wants to retire a Charger. Prove it Phil.

Because if retiring a Charger means, “I’m retiring when I’m ready” and 16 years isn’t ready, it’ll put us in a bind.

Or, maybe we still just get to pick in the top 5 whenever he gets around to it.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                      Superbowl?
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Los Angeles/Chicago
                      • Send PM

What I saw this year was Rivers throwing a fade away floater off of his back foot whereas he used to step up in the pocket and throw off of his front foot delivering a perfectly thrown ball to the receiver. There was no pocket to step up into this year due to the OL play, that is his strength, lack of OL due to injuries and talent took away our greatest strength.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Los Angeles
                        • Send PM

3rd and 2 chucking it 30 yards in double coverage. According to Rivers at least he tried and left it all on the field.

Comment

Working...
                        X