Clear All
  • Boltdog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Lunar Surface
    • Nutrition Consultant
    • Send PM

Te'o Out

Here we go again--Footy hurting. Almost English-like…

Manti Te'o out with sprained left foot
    Updated: August 16, 2014, 11:34 PM ET
    By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

Manti Te'o led the Chargers with a combined six tackles in a loss to Seattle on Friday, but will miss San Diego's next preseason game against San Francisco.
    Chargers coach Mike McCoy announced on Saturday that the Notre Dame product has a sprained left foot and will not play in the team's third preseason game at San Francisco next week.

Asked if Te'o would be out for a prolonged period of time, McCoy declined to specify if his inside linebacker would be out for an extended period.

"When he's ready, he'll be back out there," McCoy said.

Kavell Conner, a fifth-year pro out of Clemson, will likely step in to play inside linebacker next to Donald Butler with Te'o unavailable.

Te'o suffered a sprained right foot during the first preseason game of his rookie season last year against Seattle. Te'o missed the rest of the exhibition season, along with the first three games of the regular season, to rehabilitate the injury.

"It's not the same injury," McCoy said. "It's something completely different."

Te'o returned against Dallas in Week 4 and immediately was placed in the starting lineup. He appeared slowed by the injury, taking poor angles to the ball carrier, missing tackles and at times reacting slowly in the run and pass game.

Te'o's overall play improved the second half of the season. He finished fifth on the team with 61 combined tackles, but he finished without a sack, interception or forced fumble in his rookie season.

Te'o had surgery this offseason to repair what turned out to be a fractured bone in his right foot. During the offseason, Te'o worked to lose weight, and said he was in the best shape of his life heading into training camp. Te'o led the Chargers with a combined six tackles in a 41-14 preseason loss to Seattle on Friday.
    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:
  • Boltdog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Lunar Surface
    • Nutrition Consultant
    • Send PM

Kevin Bradley Burnett (born December 24, 1982) is an American football linebacker who currently is a Free agent. He played college football at Tennessee. He was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the second round of the 2005 NFL Draft and also played for the San Diego Chargers and the Miami Dolphins. Can't he play ILB too? I would bring him in for a close look...
    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Teo was just dinged
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

I have said this a few times since Manti was drafted: He just doesn't look stout enough to play LB in this league. He looks...small. And I don't care what he's LISTED at; he looks more like a big SS than a LB. That's to my very untrained eye (and I watch MUCH less tape of him than you guys do, obviously). But he's never impressed ME as a force; nor does his potential seem to point him in that direction. He's more than likely to wind up just a guy - one who can't stay healthy - that we'll be looking to replace soon.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Hope this isn't serious.

But Smokey, I see some of what you see. I rarely see him stop a guy cold. Almost always seems that he gives yardage after grabbing the ballcarrier. In fairness though, at least he's generally a sure tackler--something we definitely gain value from. But he never lets go of his guy as he's being dragged down the field.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              I have said this a few times since Manti was drafted: He just doesn't look stout enough to play LB in this league. He looks...small. And I don't care what he's LISTED at; he looks more like a big SS than a LB. That's to my very untrained eye (and I watch MUCH less tape of him than you guys do, obviously). But he's never impressed ME as a force; nor does his potential seem to point him in that direction. He's more than likely to wind up just a guy - one who can't stay healthy - that we'll be looking to replace soon.
              Donnie Edwards logo:
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                Donnie Edwards logo:
                At the same point in their respective careers, Donnie was much better.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Larry English got 5 years here. Teo has had one so far.

Comment

• mercm3
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    At the same point in their respective careers, Donnie was much better.
                    That is incorrect, Donnie in his first season had 12 total tackles in 15 games with 1 pick and 2 passes defensed. Maybe though after this year that statement might be correct since Donnie broke out in his second year.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Maybe te'o breaks out his sceond year.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• MassGeneralBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Donnie much faster , lighter on his feet , overall way more agile and athletic than Teo. Teo has very little fluidity in movement guy is too slow to be effective cover guy and not strong enough to blow people up. Not sure what the hell Telesco saw in this useless athlete to trade up for him. Cox and Teo been Telesco's 2 biggest F ups to date.

Comment

Working...
                        X