• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

PR said he would give the topic serious thought for family and other reasons but that it’s still his intention to play in 2020.
    I believe it is to be determined...more about reading into what Phil is saying.

Yes, he will give the retirement option consideration...that's new.
    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Chargers33
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

I am not sure Rivers feels there is a firm commitment to him beyond this year - Things could get ugly before this is over if we fail to make the payoffs this year. Seems like he is saying that neither side is firmly committed to the other, but he would like to play beyond this year - just not in a place with no direction. If we falter down the stretch this organization will be looking for a new identity starting out at the new stadium, and Phil will likely be out. I think he is starting to feel that now - the failure of this season was unexpected by everyone and could have this heading to a difficult split here between Rivers and the Chargers. Everything is factoring in - Rivers age, his performance, his salary, the move from SD, lack of an identity or fan base for this organization, the new stadium, the teams performance. It's all adding up to a bad ending it seems...How unfortunate for all of us....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Intelligent thoughts, C33.
        Alex Marvez @ SXM just speculated that PR could end up in Carolina, with Ron Rivera, and in NC State country.

This is in addition to the TEN rumors.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Alex Marvez @ SXM just speculated that PR could end up in Carolina, with Ron Rivera, and in NC State country.

Carolina has their young QB of the future right now.

Comment

• Chargers33
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Thanks - of course I am hoping he doesn't go anywhere but it is looking inevitable, bar winning out this year and getting in the tournament.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Estadio Azteca.
              Felipe Rios.
              What you got ?

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

I believe it is to be determined...more about reading into what Phil is saying.

Yes, he will give the retirement option consideration...that's new.
                Yes.
                He is basically saying its a year to year decision.
                Although I do expect him to play in 2020.

I also think 2020 is his last season......because i think the Chargers will finally draft a QB in the 1st rd in 2020.

TT has shown when they want a player they will trade up and get him. The only thing that will get in the way of moving up is if they finish this season strong....end up 9-7 and win a wildcard game. Then they are a final 8 team and would draft around 24-25. Likely too low to go get a top QB. If they still draft one early, it will likely be the 4th QB as the top 3 will likely be gone.

I dont want to see them settle.
                I dont like Plan B of free agent QBs.....but Bridgewater, Tannenhill, Winston, Brissett will likely remain where they are.....leaving Mariota as the possibility. Maybe he can be better on his 2nd team.

Chargers have struggled this year and if it continues, they won't make playoffs and could end up picking around 10-12. If thats the case then they can and should pay the price to move up to #1 and get the future franchise QB.

2020 1st & 2nd & 3rd.
                2021 1st & 2nd.

Should be enough.

They get the top 1st back in the trade.
                So it cost them 4 picks.
                2020 2nd & 3rd. And the 2021 1st & 2nd which if they have a solid seaaon in Rivers last hurrah could be a low 1st and 2nd.

Even if they had to cough up more picks to get the deal done. It doesnt mortgage the future. It sets up the future. The rookie sits for a year. Even if Rivers retires and does not play in 2020. Taylor starts and the rookie sits. This new franchise QB is a 15 year plan. So the 2020 and 2021 picks will be nothing in the grand scheme. 2022-2035 drafts you are building & fortifying the team around the new Franchise QB.

Get it done Chargers.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Not buying any of that.
                  He plays in the new stadium or hangs them up. My bet is new stadium and we aggressively go after his replacement in the draft.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Carolina has their young QB of the future right now.
                    I'll write you down for TEN.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not buying any of that.
                      He plays in the new stadium or hangs them up. My bet is new stadium and we aggressively go after his replacement in the draft.
                      I think this is probably what happens, with him coming back for one year as the most likely thing.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yes.
                        He is basically saying its a year to year decision.
                        Although I do expect him to play in 2020.

I also think 2020 is his last season......because i think the Chargers will finally draft a QB in the 1st rd in 2020.

TT has shown when they want a player they will trade up and get him. The only thing that will get in the way of moving up is if they finish this season strong....end up 9-7 and win a wildcard game. Then they are a final 8 team and would draft around 24-25. Likely too low to go get a top QB. If they still draft one early, it will likely be the 4th QB as the top 3 will likely be gone.

I dont want to see them settle.
                        I dont like Plan B of free agent QBs.....but Bridgewater, Tannenhill, Winston, Brissett will likely remain where they are.....leaving Mariota as the possibility. Maybe he can be better on his 2nd team.

Chargers have struggled this year and if it continues, they won't make playoffs and could end up picking around 10-12. If thats the case then they can and should pay the price to move up to #1 and get the future franchise QB.

2020 1st & 2nd & 3rd.
                        2021 1st & 2nd.

Should be enough.

They get the top 1st back in the trade.
                        So it cost them 4 picks.
                        2020 2nd & 3rd. And the 2021 1st & 2nd which if they have a solid seaaon in Rivers last hurrah could be a low 1st and 2nd.

Even if they had to cough up more picks to get the deal done. It doesnt mortgage the future. It sets up the future. The rookie sits for a year. Even if Rivers retires and does not play in 2020. Taylor starts and the rookie sits. This new franchise QB is a 15 year plan. So the 2020 and 2021 picks will be nothing in the grand scheme. 2022-2035 drafts you are building & fortifying the team around the new Franchise QB.

Get it done Chargers.

i just don't equate burrows with one of those qbs you give up a ton to get. he's not a mahomes or luck - never will be anywhere close to those guys.

No one now pats the Rams/Eagles for giving up so much for Goff/Wentz. But Andy reid, for moving up to #10, or Ozzie Newsome, for moving back into the first round for Jackson - si!

You could probably do that for Eason or the Georgia qb.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think this is probably what happens, with him coming back for one year as the most likely thing.
                          agree!

Comment

Working...
                          X