• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

The (ineffective) Blitz

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

Some pretty damning numbers. We were 13th in how often we blitzed, but it was pretty much ineffective since our rate of success was 31st.

Not that you can blame Pags (completely at least), we were 31st when we didn't blitz.

It's pretty easy to see if the defense is to see significant improvement, it starts up front. Luckily for us, we have essentially 3 new pass rushers in Freeney, Ingram, and Attaochu playing this season.

Now about that ILB blitz up the A gap that gets routinely stuffed...
    Last edited by Beerman; 08-07-2014, 02:00 PM.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Wonder why I wanted Pags fired by the end of November? Completely ineffective D for the first 68.750% of the season.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      Wonder why I wanted Pags fired by the end of November? Completely ineffective D for the first 68.750% of the season.
      There's definitely merit there, but c'mon we were rushing with Keiser, JJ, and Tourek. The pass rush was downright criminal. Coupled with our porous secondary and injured ILB's.

It's kinda amazing how much the defense has changed over the course of a year.

3 "new" pass rushers. A potential completely new group of CBs in Flowers, Verrett, and Stevie W. Improved SS play with Addae.

There's a lot to be positive on the defensive side of the ball. Now we just need Liuget and Reyes to take the next step in development. We have a very young, potential impact defense that can be around for a while.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        There's definitely merit there, but c'mon we were rushing with Keiser, JJ, and Tourek. The pass rush was downright criminal. Coupled with our porous secondary and injured ILB's.

It's kinda amazing how much the defense has changed over the course of a year.

3 "new" pass rushers. A potential completely new group of CBs in Flowers, Verrett, and Stevie W. Improved SS play with Addae.

There's a lot to be positive on the defensive side of the ball. Now we just need Liuget and Reyes to take the next step in development. We have a very young, potential impact defense that can be around for a while.
        I agree, we could easily rush 5 guys on any play, 6 if you throw in Weddle.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
        X