• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Why don't the Bolts have one of these?

In a move that could signal a shift in the importance the NFL places on the health of its players, the Green Bay Packers have hired a full-time nutritionist, reported PackersNews.com.

Adam Korzun will be the team’s first director of performance nutrition — in the past the team consulted with outside nutritionists. Korzun will oversee the food in the team’s cafeteria and advise players individually on their diets.

"His main thing was tell us not only what to eat, but when to eat it," receiver Jordy Nelson told PackersNews.com. "I'm sure there's certain things you're supposed to eat at certain times. You're probably not supposed to have protein shakes in the middle of the day but more as a recovery after working out. Or if it's food, after a workout, eat more of this, for dinner eat more of this. He'll get a feel for how the cafeteria is set up and then we'll continue to get informed."

While the trend of professional sports teams working with nutrition consultants has been around since the 90s, the Packers’ effort to bring on a full-time staffer comes after years of intense scrutiny about the way the NFL handles injuries.

The league has taken some hits over the last decade as former players continue to speak out about the brain damage they’ve suffered as a result of concussions and other poorly treated injuries throughout their careers.

The Packers provide all meals for players during training camp and most players eat at least breakfast and lunch at the team’s facilities during the season. The team recently built a cafeteria adjacent to the locker room at Lambeau Field.

Prior to joining the Packers since the start of training camp, Korzun was the director of sports nutrition for the University of Oregon’s athletic department.

I read this, then checked over at Chargers.com and the Bolts do not have a any nutritionist listed. I'm shocked. They have 4 team Dr's to include an ophthalmologist and even 2 chaplains, but no nutritionist. If the part I bolded is true for the Bolts and the team does provide their meals that often during the season, then it seems like a no brainer to me. Someone qualified should have the full time responsibility to maintain and over see all things pertaining to meals and nutrition. I would think teams would have figured this out long ago.
    sigpic
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Remember when McCoy was hired, he made some reference to changing how things were going to be done, and even mentioned something about how they eat. I can't quite remember how he phrased it, but it was clear there were going to be some changes in that area.

It may be that we have a nutritionist, or someone doing that job, it's just that they aren't listed, or are also doing something else. Given how McCoy and TT like to keep some things close to the vest, I wouldn't put it past them to keep the whole sports nutrition thing quiet.

Even if they don't have one, even the article points out that there has been consulting by outside nutritionists even if they don't have them on staff. They may not feel the need to have one on staff full time. I would think that given the number of players who struggle with their weight, that having some full time help would be a good idea. Remember Fonoti (Fatnoti), the big OG we drafted out of Nebraska, and then had to kick him to the curb due to his issues with diet and weight? That wasn't his whole issue, but maybe a nutritionist on staff could help more with guys like that. And every team has big guys who struggle with their weight, although I would imagine the Southern Cal climate and diet may help with that to some degree.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Not just to help guys maintain a healthy weight or prevent some from eating themselves out of the league. There's more to it than that. How about to help guys bulk up in the right way. I'm sure Lissemore was asked to do just that. And, especially the rookies that come in each year. Watt could probably use advice on how to bulk up and add strength. There's more to it than just hitting the weight room and downing protein shakes. IMO, a full time nutritionist should be on every staff and work hand in hand with the strength and conditioning coaches. Outsourcing is fine in the offseason, or maybe some of these guys hire someone on their own, but in TC and during the season, with the team providing so many of their meals there needs to be a HMFIC of nutrition.
      sigpic

Comment

• UtahBolt
        Did we win?
        • Jun 2013
        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
        • Send PM

Every professional sports teams should have a staff nutritionist or even a staff of nutritionists, idiotic that they would not in this day and age. It should just be as common as and work in tandem with the S & C coach.
        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

the Bolts may have a "consultant" nutritionist on the books so we don't see that listed as someone on the "staff"
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

They do have a consultant that serves as the team nutritionist.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

We'll I think a "consultant" nutritionist is LAME. They should have a full time cutting edge clinical dietician / nutritionist on board.

WTf? This is a gazillion dollar biz why cut corners? Spanos???
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Hire a neuraligist for Dunlap please, he eats well enough...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                  We'll I think a "consultant" nutritionist is LAME. They should have a full time cutting edge clinical dietician / nutritionist on board.

WTf? This is a gazillion dollar biz why cut corners? Spanos???
                  Why? What does that really accomplish? How much could a nutritionist do on a full-time basis?
                  Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

I would think a nutritionist could contribute more than 2 chaplains.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Time to offer a chaplain for this nutritionists
                      Last edited by Mister Hoarse; 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

More concerned that we don't have one of these:

Comment

Working...
                        X