Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

ESPN Donks projected roster

Examining the Denver Broncos' roster:Quarterbacks (3) Peyton Manning Brock Osweiler Zac Dysert The Broncos carried three here last season and thought enough of Dysert to keep him despite a long list of injuries on defense that eventually saw five starters on injured reserve.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

To me, they are looking somewhat stronger then I originally thought, but I still don't think they are as great as a lot of media type are saying.

Specifically, I still don't think their S are that good, or their true LB. They are solid at CB, but only Talib is a top player, and even then he just flashes ability, as opposed to being consistently dominant.

They are very thin at edge rushers, since Miller may miss some time, Ware is pretty injury prone these days. If Q Smith doesn't come through for them, they may be hurting for some speed rush. Wolfe and Jackson can both play DE on run downs, but neither is that good outside on passing downs (although both are good inside rushers).

On O the key for them will be if they can get Sanders to really replace Decker. Sanders, despite great stopwatch speed is not all that great stretching the field. He does a lot of his damage underneath from the slot, which is going to get pretty crowded given Welker being there. If Latimer can step up quickly, they won't miss a beat, but the kid is raw.

TE is a good a group as anyone in the NFL has, but won't be a factor this season since they will spend so much time in their 3 WR set.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Not a lot of wiggle room on that roster, they need the injury gods to leave them untouched to have a chance to repeat (even then, this is a SB team??).

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Ware keeps talking about how he thinks they can have the #1 O and #1 D, and while I think it is almost impossible to do that together (thats a completely different argument), I just don't see this being the kind of roster that is all that great. Good, but not great.

My major point is that i think we have a chance to compete against them. We may need some help, but I agree that the injury gods could hurt the Donks, and there are a lot of spots that I think we are a lot deeper. We just need guys to continue to step up and not just be depth, but be better starters.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Ware keeps talking about how he thinks they can have the #1 O and #1 D, and while I think it is almost impossible to do that together (thats a completely different argument), I just don't see this being the kind of roster that is all that great. Good, but not great.
          I don't mind if they have the #1 O and #1 D, as long as they finish no higher than the Chargers did when we had the #1 O and #1 D.
          Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

How many people think Manning's arm strength weakened as the season progressed last year, to me it was noticeable, as much as he has thrown in his career, the deep ball is a thing of the past with him. The result of most of his long passes were a result of receivers making a move and running for long gains. A example would be against us we had piss poor tackling and let the TE (Thomas) go up the sideline for 80 yard TD. Not only was Manning facing pressure in the Super Bowl, but big mouth Richard Sherman told the truth about Manning not having a strong arm. Manning got pissy when he was question how the cold weather/wing would effect him throwing, even though he performed well, how much the extra effort effected him going into the follow week late in the season, So at age 38 how much velocity and strength he has in that arm come mid-season?

They may have issues with RB far as fumbling, that is why Monte Ball didn't get a lot of playing time and got Hillman benched.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
              I don't mind if they have the #1 O and #1 D, as long as they finish no higher than the Chargers did when we had the #1 O and #1 D.
              N0rv logo:
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Force Manning to throw deep. That has to be the game plan for everyone they face.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

It's not just the Manning arm strength, although I agree with that point too.

The thing to me, when you look at the roster, they are just marginally better then they were. Everyone just assumes that some of the big names are going to make them great. But the thing with big names is they are past performances. Some of those names are only available because they haven't performed well lately. And of the up and comers, are they as good as they are being claimed, or fill a need?

Ware is the guy who is boom or bust. If they can get the Demarcus Ware that was closer to the guy in his prime, they will be much better. But he will have to be, because they don't have another edge rusher until Von Miller comes back, and even then maybe not. Not that many guys are at their peak right after knee surgery. And as we all know, Ware has been really beat up and not playing that well the last FEW seasons. He is still an upgrade over Phillips and his coverage sack ways, but not much of one. I am not afraid of Ware beating Dunlap.

TJ Ward is now regarded as one of the best S in football, but really, who had even heard of him before they signed him. He is only a name because he signed with the Donks. If you are familiar with his game, he is an excellent in the box S who is not horrible in coverage (still more of a run stuffer though). The Donks really need a Weddle type coverage guy. An in the box S doesn't help them, because they are protecting a lot of big leads. They may use Ward down as an extra LB, but they haven't addressed their big need.

Talib is a very inconsistent player for someone who signed a big contract. He had to play through injuries and was misused some by NE, because of the personnel around him. But he is probably not as good as DRC, who Allen totally schooled one on one, FWIW. And in any case, Talib and DRC won't be the pair of coverage guys, they swapped players. So, in terms of being better, I think the best they get out of it is an even exchange.

Sanders has been used mostly as a slot type of guy. Lot of underneath crossing routes, lot of crossing routes, where he runs away from defenders. But Decker was a downfield, stretch the field and give the underneath guys room to work. And the Donks already have Welker to victimize defenses underneath. Not that you can't use another, but it strikes me that they guy that they added doesn't replace the guy they lost.

The one place they have upgrade is LG. They got Clady back at LT, moved Clark to RT and moved Franklin inside. Personally, I think it makes them weaker at OT, since Clady has a tendency to play down to compitition, and Clark is not as good at RT as Franklin (unless he really steps his game up). Franklin should be a big improvement over the guys they had at LG last year. And they get their C back. But again, their OL was fairly strong, this is not a case of the a team improving a weak area.

RB they really do seem weaker. They are relying on Ball getting a lot better in pass protection and not dropping off in any other areas, and others stepping up into bigger roles. I thought Moreno really played well last season. Ball was fairly inconsistent, although he was very impressive in stretches. At best, I think they pretty much break even. But with Manning calling so many of the plays, I still think they are vulnerable to him taking them away from their running game at times.

Comment

Working...
                  X