• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

One other point, I hate cutting guys after you spend 2 -3 years developing them and they are just about to become productive.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

A few questions:

Do we really need 6 interior OL?

Is Gachkar so good at ST that he earns a spot?

I don't recall ever seeing Scafe play, don't remember him making an impact in camp last year, yet everyone has him making the roster? What has he done to earn that spot?

Similarly, Grice seems to be on everyone's list, but unless he can return kicks he'd be an inactive every week. Why is he more valuable than a 6th WR or a 4th TE?
      Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
        A few questions:

Do we really need 6 interior OL?

Is Gachkar so good at ST that he earns a spot?

I don't recall ever seeing Scafe play, don't remember him making an impact in camp last year, yet everyone has him making the roster? What has he done to earn that spot?

Similarly, Grice seems to be on everyone's list, but unless he can return kicks he'd be an inactive every week. Why is he more valuable than a 6th WR or a 4th TE?
        Interior lineman generally get injured more often than the OTs. Our interior lineman are also fairly injury prone. Not sure we have a 4th OT worth keeping either way.

I'm with ya on Gachkar. I think we keep 6 OLB and 4 ILB.

Ditto with Scafe. Haven't seen much of him to have an opinion on him.

IMO we have to have a 4th RB on the roster. Just the nature of the position. Grice's ability to find the end zone is intriguing as well. He'll be inactive until we have a RB injury, which you know will happen over the course of the year.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Brandon Ghee does seem to be the Forgotten Man, at least early on. Is this Davis "all that"?

I gotta find a way to keep Tutu on the roster; especially if VBrown is heading into TC on the bubble. Tutu can do double duty.

I agree that Gaethers is a long shot; and Scafe...agree with Panama & Beer on him.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

All good points, Scafe, Gachkar, even the lower round rookies like Grice, just whatever shakes out with these guys. I'll trust the coaches (more than me, or stats, or trends, whatever).

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
              Yah I agree. I don't see Geathers making the team. They invested a draft pick in carrethers. They will give him every chance to develop. Guy and Scafe both make the squad IMO
              Carrethers replaces Thomas who was also a draft pick- we carried 3 NT types last year and Lissemore played the most snaps by default as the best of the bunch. Ideally, you want either Geathers or Carrethers to play consistently well enough we can play Lissemore mostly at DE with occasional sliding inside. I think we carry all 3, but 1 of Geathers or Carrethers (who might be more of a project) is inactive every week.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

A lot of 34 teams will play their backup NT at DE, and I think both Geathers and Carrethers will do some of that, although Lissemore will probably slide outside too. The big thing is, how many DL will we carry total.

Scafe seems like a bit of a long shot. I know they seem to like him, but isn't this his 3rd TC? It seems like if they thought he was going to make the roster, he would probably have made it by now (?).

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I hate the idea of going into the season with only 3 backup DL, all inexperienced. We have to have at least 4 experienced players there, with only 2 inexperienced backups. I'd trade another future 7th for a decent backup here.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

A lot of teams carry less depth than that. If you look at it like this:
                    22 starter (11 on O and 11 on D)
                    starter and backup for each = 44 players, you are almost as the roster limit there. So, if you are going to play a lot of 3 WR, 2 TE, or 5 DB (all staples of a modern offense), there are some compromises that have to be made.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      A lot of 34 teams will play their backup NT at DE, and I think both Geathers and Carrethers will do some of that, although Lissemore will probably slide outside too. The big thing is, how many DL will we carry total.

Scafe seems like a bit of a long shot. I know they seem to like him, but isn't this his 3rd TC? It seems like if they thought he was going to make the roster, he would probably have made it by now (?).
                      Well Scafe was on his way to making it last year before he broke his foot in preseason. I know they were really high on him last year. Well see what happens this year.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Tutu, Geathers, Scafe, Davis, Sorenson... ain't it great to be talking about the bottom of the roster instead of the top?

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Its nice to have a bottom of the roster. Last year this time, we had about 30-35 guys who were NFL quality. We've had about a 20 player improvement since then.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X