Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    I remember Tutu in 2010, dude was on fire for a couple games, very impressive. Since then, bupkis. And - he hasn't climbed the WR depth chart, not one bit. This is his second coaching regime (3rd if you count Carolina) that has pointedly looked elsewhere for WR talent, not good.

Here's my issue with any WR on this team (or any player, period): no such thing as a 5th WR, injuries seem to happen to this squad a lot (across the league, too), ANY WR needs to be able to be more than a doormat out there cuz they will be asked to play. Look at last season. All I want is for the best WRs to stay on the roster, Tutu just hasn't shown me anything in 4 years as a pro to think he can't be beat out by a promising rookie. The only reliable production he brings is as a gunner, but a lot of guys can play that position. If he steps up his WR play, great and let's keep him. But I think MM has raised the bar for depth guys in every squad, they gotta be ready to step in and play - we did that along the OL extremely well last season, and by design apparently, MM spends a lot of practice time rotating those guys so backups are better prepared. I know there's talent drop-off as we get down the depth, but damn if I'm gonna accept "good enough for a 5th WR" as an excuse to not upgrade even a backup player. Hopefully MM doesn't either.

Like his whole career, Tutu is on the bubble and if another WR beats him out, so be it. We can always bring back - again - as a street signing. Love his size and attitude, not sure why he's stayed at the bottom of the roster but as a WR he is, and has been, replaceable.
    Look, we're not as far apart as you might think. In fact, you'll recall that earlier in the offseason I took a lot of flak from QSmokey and a few others precisely because I suggested Tutu is replaceable.

I'm not arguing that he's not replaceable, or that he is a great WR. I am arguing two things:

(1) That despite your statement, he is perfectly capable of at least 40 catches in a season if he were higher on the depth chart (and, in turn, that no one who is 5th on the depth chart is going to have a 40-catch season).

(2) That while Tutu is competing for that final spot on the roster, Reese and/or Inman (depending on the number of WRs we keep) will have to demonstrate that they can do everything Tutu can now (decent WR who is smart and on the same page as Rivers, excellent ST player, good character guy), and that it won't be as easy as some are suggesting.

And frankly, neither of those statements is very radical. I think the only way you could disagree with those positions is if you completely devalued Tutu and thought him a worthless waste of space as a WR. (And maybe you do, if you think Osgood was as good or better, which is laughable. Osgood was/is the better special teamer, but he was rubbish as a WR.)
    Adipose

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

I think its all about value for the last spots. Reese will not be a Tutu but he might carry more value as a deep threat than Tutu ever could if hes able to get open like hes showing incamp. If Reese learns the KR or PR role well he probably has the leg up on Tutu (ok that just is funny saying that). Tutu was also on the street so has limited value to other teams IMO vs a Reese type guy if he shows something in preseason might have someone willing to poach him.

I think we carry floyd, royal, allen, vb, reese and tutu/inman. We have had plenty of wr injuries to where we may choose the extra player there provided that player is on ST.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Its been argued on this board before (ad nauseam, see the Yuba doctoral thesis on the 2012 vs 2013 defense) that a rookie with a big upside is more valuable than a mediocre vet that has flat lined. Just sayin...
        sigpic

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          Its been argued on this board before (ad nauseam, see the Yuba doctoral thesis on the 2012 vs 2013 defense) that a rookie with a big upside is more valuable than a mediocre vet that has flat lined. Just sayin...
          Valid point. I would argue that Tutu doesn't fall into that category. But we'll see. I'm eager to see how they all play in preseason games.
          Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            Valid point. I would argue that Tutu doesn't fall into that category. But we'll see. I'm eager to see how they all play in preseason games.
            That is going to be very telling.
            sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
              I think its all about value for the last spots. Reese will not be a Tutu but he might carry more value as a deep threat than Tutu ever could if hes able to get open like hes showing incamp. If Reese learns the KR or PR role well he probably has the leg up on Tutu (ok that just is funny saying that). Tutu was also on the street so has limited value to other teams IMO vs a Reese type guy if he shows something in preseason might have someone willing to poach him.

I think we carry floyd, royal, allen, vb, reese and tutu/inman. We have had plenty of wr injuries to where we may choose the extra player there provided that player is on ST.
              Reese is getting stuffed by dbs in camp now that they went with pads and a few more practices. Also, Tutu was never "on the street" as a discard in his career- do your homework on that. NOrv cut him (I don't give that much weight) for his own reasons which were never publicized and Rivera immediately signed him and he played STs for Carolina that whole year. He did not make the 53 man in CAR the following year, but the Chargers quickly picked him up and he's been with us ever since, including bringing him back after he lost most of a season injured. Some people are underestimating the value coaches place on proven NFL performers here vs rookies with potential. I do think they find a way to keep Reese around, but numerous stories have come out about no UDFA making roster this year, so I'm giving Tutu the "leg up" over Inmann (PS candidate?) and pretty much agree with your WR roster.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Cut by Panthers on Aug 31, 2012
                Signed by Chargers on Oct 29, 2012
                Re-signed by Chargers on Aug 16, 2013

Looks like he spent nearly 2 months out of the league, hence he was "on the street"
                sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Just curious, what happened to Yuba?
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    Just curious, what happened to Yuba?
                    I've been wondering that myself. Has he silently been requested to take a leave of absence? Is he just on holiday? Is he ok?
                    Adipose

Comment

• Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      I've been wondering that myself. Has he silently been requested to take a leave of absence? Is he just on holiday? Is he ok?
                      :lya:

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                        :lya:
                        I don't think we're picking on him. It's just odd that he's been silent for the past week or two. His posting style drives me nuts, but I still want to know he's ok.
                        Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                          Cut by Panthers on Aug 31, 2012
                          Signed by Chargers on Oct 29, 2012
                          Re-signed by Chargers on Aug 16, 2013

Looks like he spent nearly 2 months out of the league, hence he was "on the street"
                          yeah, he didn't make the final cut in CAR and everyone's 53 man was set to start the season. No mystery he didn't get signed immediately at that point. Not like he was out of football or bouncing around team to team being waived repeatedly and never finding a home. Call it what you will.
                          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                          X