Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Injuries Have Been Costly To 1st and 2nd Round Picks The Past 5-6 Drafts

Tom Telesco has done a very good job drafting talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds, players who have become Pro Bowlers or who have the talent to become Pro Bowlers. Unfortunately, injuries have hampered the contributions and development of these players. Injury has plagued our 1st and 2nd round picks since Telesco's 2nd draft. It just has been unfortunate, it's not something he is to blame for. Take a look at his first two picks in the last six drafts:

Jason Verrett - one of the best CBs I've ever seen play in a Bolts uniform whose career has been totally derailed by one injury after another.
    Jerry Attaochu - he had a brief moment or two where his potential flashed, but he ended up being the rehab king in his tenure with the Bolts.

Melvin Gordon - terrific player, two time Pro Bowler, but he has missed a quarter or more of the season in 3 of his 4 seasons due to injury.
    Denzel Perryman - not a Pro Bowler, but he has that potential if he could just stay on the field

Joey Bosa - perhaps the best player Telesco has drafted. But he missed the first quarter of his rookie season due to injury and last season missed more than half the season with his foot.
    Hunter Henry - has the potential to be as good as Travis Kelce. His loss last year to a knee injury was devastating.

Mike Williams - got injured the first time he stepped on the field as a rookie, derailing his entire first season. He looked like Pro Bowl material when he was healthy last year.
    Forrest Lamp - one of the top OL coming out of college in 2017. Hopefully he can come back from that this year.

Derwin James - Akkkk!
    Uchena - knock on wood! He looks like he's going to make great strides forward this season, the only one for whom injuries have not been an issue.

Tillery - was drafted while recovering from surgery to repair a torn labrum. But it was promised he wouldn't miss any camp time and that promise has been fulfilled. He's looked terrific.
    Adderly - has been injured most of camp and the entire preseason to date

Like I said, it's not a knock on Telesco at all, it's just been frustrating as a fan to see the setbacks these players, and consequently the team, has had to endure.
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Do that to a couple of other teams. I'll pick the Giants, Lions and Dolphins for ya...... totally random. How have they fared? See if your frustration is justified.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Tom Telesco has done a very good job drafting talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds, players who have become Pro Bowlers or who have the talent to become Pro Bowlers. Unfortunately, injuries have hampered the contributions and development of these players. Injury has plagued our 1st and 2nd round picks since Telesco's 2nd draft. It just has been unfortunate, it's not something he is to blame for. Take a look at his first two picks in the last six drafts:

Jason Verrett - one of the best CBs I've ever seen play in a Bolts uniform whose career has been totally derailed by one injury after another.
      Jerry Attaochu - he had a brief moment or two where his potential flashed, but he ended up being the rehab king in his tenure with the Bolts.

Melvin Gordon - terrific player, two time Pro Bowler, but he has missed a quarter or more of the season in 3 of his 4 seasons due to injury.
      Denzel Perryman - not a Pro Bowler, but he has that potential if he could just stay on the field

Joey Bosa - perhaps the best player Telesco has drafted. But he missed the first quarter of his rookie season due to injury and last season missed more than half the season with his foot.
      Hunter Henry - has the potential to be as good as Travis Kelce. His loss last year to a knee injury was devastating.

Mike Williams - got injured the first time he stepped on the field as a rookie, derailing his entire first season. He looked like Pro Bowl material when he was healthy last year.
      Forrest Lamp - one of the top OL coming out of college in 2017. Hopefully he can come back from that this year.

Derwin James - Akkkk!
      Uchena - knock on wood! He looks like he's going to make great strides forward this season, the only one for whom injuries have not been an issue.

Tillery - was drafted while recovering from surgery to repair a torn labrum. But it was promised he wouldn't miss any camp time and that promise has been fulfilled. He's looked terrific.
      Adderly - has been injured most of camp and the entire preseason to date

Like I said, it's not a knock on Telesco at all, it's just been frustrating as a fan to see the setbacks these players, and consequently the team, has had to endure.
      On the bright side, at least Fluker didn't get injured...

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think this is why Beatherd would always trade his first round pick the next year for a second rounder in the current year. And as I recall Jaimaine Fazande and Mikal Rycks and all the other second rounders he picked that way had pretty good records at staying healthy.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          I think this is why Beatherd would always trade his first round pick the next year for a second rounder in the current year. And as I recall Jaimaine Fazande and Mikal Rycks and all the other second rounders he picked that way had pretty good records at staying healthy.

TG
          They just weren't very good when they were playing.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They just weren't very good when they were playing.
            "Ba-domp-bump-tish"

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Okung and James will go on IR/R. Gordon will be back week 1. We will make the playoffs and get James and Okung back for our SB push. I feel this in my nads.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                Okung and James will go on IR/R. Gordon will be back week 1. We will make the playoffs and get James and Okung back for our SB push. I feel this in my nads.
                I believe that Okung doesn't have to go on IR, but not sure what the rules are on return from the NFI list..

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I believe that Okung doesn't have to go on IR, but not sure what the rules are on return from the NFI list..
                  Thats my worst case scenario. lol. Okung could be back by week 4. The fact they "Have no new info" tells me this is your typical Charger long term problem.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

We should not count on Russell's ability to play this season or again. PE is a huge health issue especially for a large human being.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Thats a possibility. Im going with a somewhat positive mindset at this point. Not all gloom. Have to let some light in. Im not sure losing Taylor for a backup/swing OT helps us much this year. Id rather used his skillset to compliment Rivers.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                        We should not count on Russell's ability to play this season or again. PE is a huge health issue especially for a large human being.
                        If the diagnosis was that severe I believe he would already have retired, not been on the field for pre game workout. Just my .02

Comment

Working...
                        X