EQ2CeV6XsAEIJKB (1).jpeg
    Attached Files

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Time to cut bait, get younger, and move on.
      Let big Russ see what his value is during FA.
      Big Rus under contract still why not try to trade him if doesn't wnt to be here? The Cleveland Browns would be a good trade partner for maybe 4th round pick, something is better than nothing, in light of Greg Robinson's weed situation we may be able to swing this. That would obvious change our priorities with the emphasis in getting an OT in FA (Conklin) or using pick #6 on the best OT available or fall back in the draft still get the OT and additional pick(s).

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Losing Okung is a disaster. You can’t replace the whole offense in one season, can you? Okung was lights out in 2018 and had a terrible bout with an unexpected disease last year. He’s worth every penny and cutting him is just another hole to fill. It’s not like we don’t have to fill practically every other position on oline, QB and sign HH.

If you’re going to tear the thing down at least replace the fo that put it together.
        Last edited by Budsman; 02-20-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
          Losing Okung is a disaster. You can’t replace the whole offense in one season, can you? Okung was lights out in 2018 and had a terrible bout with an unexpected disease last year. He’s worth every penny and cutting him is just another hole to fill. It’s not like we don’t have to fill practically every other position on oline and QBs and sign HH.

If you’re going to tear the thing down at least replace the fo that put it together.
          Losing a HEALTHY & MOTIVATED Okung would be bad. But if his pulmonary condition is still in question - he might need to be released. And with free agency in a few weeks - the Chargers might have a tough decision to make

The Chargers cannot be in a position where they HOPE that Okung is ready to go. Maybe he takes a pay cut with less guarantees and can earn them back with games played. Same with Pouncey.

If both are released, that is two big holes to fill - but also 18m of cap space to fill them. Thats like Glasnow and another OL. And again, the team is not replacing the 2010-2016 versions of both players. They are replacing the 2019 and moving forward 2020 version of the players. So I already wanted one player in FA and to draft another. If they Chargers lose Okung &/or Pouncey, that becomes, 3 or 4 playuers. Thats a damn big lift.

One other thing -- new OL coach in Campen. Eric Williams tweeted with me and said "Okung was a Pat Meyer guy." New blocking scheme, new offensive philosophy.. Might want players who move better on the OL. It might be in the best interest of the team for the team to move on from Okung. Maybe you get a 5th round pick from him - or a 6th. The salary is for the other team to worry about.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            @BigDuke50 has been training and talking up Mekhi. This is the current intel folks.
            And, 'Roo, I am seeing some good blocks at the second level.
            Barring a trade, I cannot unsee NYG taking Becton @ #3.
            Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

@BigDuke50 has been training and talking up Mekhi. This is the current intel folks.
              And, 'Roo, I am seeing some good blocks at the second level.
              Barring a trade, I cannot unsee NYG taking Becton @ #3.
              I know Simmons is enticing for the Chargers - but the Cardinals are not taking OL at 8 signing Humphries this week (I would guess) which means a team right behind them is not taking OL. So could Telesco leverage Simmons to a team and still move down - get one of the big 4 OL and get more picks.

Thats why free agency is so damn important. TElesco has to take care of the OL in free agency to a point it is pretty well set for the draft. And if you take another OL in the first few rounds, thats fine but it sets you up to take Simmons at 5,

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Losing a HEALTHY & MOTIVATED Okung would be bad. But if his pulmonary condition is still in question - he might need to be released. And with free agency in a few weeks - the Chargers might have a tough decision to make

The Chargers cannot be in a position where they HOPE that Okung is ready to go. Maybe he takes a pay cut with less guarantees and can earn them back with games played. Same with Pouncey.

If both are released, that is two big holes to fill - but also 18m of cap space to fill them. Thats like Glasnow and another OL. And again, the team is not replacing the 2010-2016 versions of both players. They are replacing the 2019 and moving forward 2020 version of the players. So I already wanted one player in FA and to draft another. If they Chargers lose Okung &/or Pouncey, that becomes, 3 or 4 playuers. Thats a damn big lift.

One other thing -- new OL coach in Campen. Eric Williams tweeted with me and said "Okung was a Pat Meyer guy." New blocking scheme, new offensive philosophy.. Might want players who move better on the OL. It might be in the best interest of the team for the team to move on from Okung. Maybe you get a 5th round pick from him - or a 6th. The salary is for the other team to worry about.
                I didn’t see the team running to give him a raise when he overplayed his contract in 2018. He even showed his heart and rushed back after a potentially life threatening disease that no one would have blamed him for sitting the year out. But no, he needs to take a pay cut and his future is unsure, his doctors didnt think so when they released him to play.

Dont forget new contracts only get pricier not the other way around. Okung is playing on an old contract a new LT is going to demand more if it’s not Trent scott or Sam tevi, I’m pretty sure AL is happy with his internal options at Tackle and thinks they are pro bowl caliber players.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I know Simmons is enticing for the Chargers - but the Cardinals are not taking OL at 8 signing Humphries this week (I would guess) which means a team right behind them is not taking OL. So could Telesco leverage Simmons to a team and still move down - get one of the big 4 OL and get more picks.

Thats why free agency is so damn important. TElesco has to take care of the OL in free agency to a point it is pretty well set for the draft. And if you take another OL in the first few rounds, thats fine but it sets you up to take Simmons at 5,
                  We’re relying on telesco to take care of the oline?!?!

:what:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

We’re relying on telesco to take care of the oline?!?!

:what:
                    Truth! Telesco has big work ahead

As for the cost of Okung - yep he outplayued the contract one year and last year the pulmonary condition. But its also the NFL and if the Chargers get "sentimental" -- they are losing ground to the rest of the league. It sucks. But Okung needs to be healthy.

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Truth! Telesco has big work ahead

As for the cost of Okung - yep he outplayued the contract one year and last year the pulmonary condition. But its also the NFL and if the Chargers get "sentimental" -- they are losing ground to the rest of the league. It sucks. But Okung needs to be healthy.
                      He is by all accounts and even rushed back. This isn’t some nagging injury, his doctors have cleared him, what more do we need? Heck we’ve held on to less for more injury history.

What makes you think he isnt going to play well? The disease he’s been cleared of or the ankle injury he got trying to rush back and help this team? He’s done everything possible for this team, why wouldn’t they want him?

pro bowl level tackles don’t grow on trees. After next year ok reasses, but if nothing else it’s one less thing to worry about this off-season.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Meyer principles are NOT dissimilar to Campen principles.

Eric and Josina dig deeper please.
                        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

He is by all accounts and even rushed back. This isn’t some nagging injury, his doctors have cleared him, what more do we need? Heck we’ve held on to less for more injury history.

What makes you think he isnt going to play well? The disease he’s been cleared of or the ankle injury he got trying to rush back and help this team? He’s done everything possible for this team, why wouldn’t they want him?

pro bowl level tackles don’t grow on trees. After next year ok reasses, but if nothing else it’s one less thing to worry about this off-season.
                          Thanks for the update. I have not heard he was cleared by doctors. If thats the case - keep him. You are right, OTs are hard to find. He is on a reasonable deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X