• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

As far as Reese goes, I see him as a replacement for Royal more than anything. Play him out of the slot or in bunch formations to help him get off the line. Exploit his speed dimension. He can be a 40 catch guy for the team long term. That speed will compliment our short passing game and will open the middle up for Allen/Green as well.

He can also be lethal with WR screens if CBs start playing off of him protecting against the long ball.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      As far as Reese goes, I see him as a replacement for Royal more than anything. Play him out of the slot or in bunch formations to help him get off the line. Exploit his speed dimension. He can be a 40 catch guy for the team long term. That speed will compliment our short passing game and will open the middle up for Allen/Green as well.
      What about the possibility of Grice as a slot WR as well? Too much of a project?
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Who said we were set at the position? Like has been mentioned before, he's a one year stop gap IMO. His contract isn't guaranteed next year. Brown will be a free agent. Bunch of other contracts come off the cap. Next year we bring in a long term WR either via FA or a high draft pick.
        Im talking about this season.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Even if a 7th rounder was doomed to sit, would that make any difference? That is kinda the nature of 7th round picks, to sit and learn. And frankly to get a guy with an exceptional skill like Reese in the 7th, I think you take him no matter what the depth chart looks like.

As far as our WR corp goes, it is another case of line them up and let them compete. It is going to be almost impossible for the UDFA guys to make the roster now, but then it nearly always was anyway. But right now, the only guy who is a surefire lock on a roster spot, IMHO is Allen. He earned it based on last season. But Floyd and Royal will probably win spots, due to their physical skills and experience. The rest will just depend on who learns to run routes and read defenses the quickest.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

He can also be lethal with WR screens if CBs start playing off of him protecting against the long ball.
            I don't know. The slot is about quickness, not speed. Reese has speed, but does he also have quickness?
            Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
              What about the possibility of Grice as a slot WR as well? Too much of a project?
              Don't see Grice at WR at all.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                I don't know. The slot is about quickness, not speed. Reese has speed, but does he also have quickness?
                Reese is very quick as well. Had a top 3 cone if I remember. His issues are size, hands, and maybe route running. Just not sure they asked him to run many different routes, so he'll have to work on that.

Size though was the big knock on him.

Just heard him on 1360 and he is also coming off a sports hernia surgery from last year (played all season with it apparently). Probably another reason he lasted till the 7th.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Even if a 7th rounder was doomed to sit, would that make any difference? That is kinda the nature of 7th round picks, to sit and learn. And frankly to get a guy with an exceptional skill like Reese in the 7th, I think you take him no matter what the depth chart looks like.

As far as our WR corp goes, it is another case of line them up and let them compete. It is going to be almost impossible for the UDFA guys to make the roster now, but then it nearly always was anyway. But right now, the only guy who is a surefire lock on a roster spot, IMHO is Allen. He earned it based on last season. But Floyd and Royal will probably win spots, due to their physical skills and experience. The rest will just depend on who learns to run routes and read defenses the quickest.
                  Meant more about having say a 1st or 2nd round WR on the pine. At least on paper our top 2 picks should see the field a significant amount this year comparatively.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I don't really care if the the top picks play either during their rookies years. I don't see the draft as a good way to fill immediate needs. It takes some young players time to develop, and they need to be given that time. If they can be effective, fine. Just don't try and force feed them. But you see a lot of young players who are forced to play early will often develop some bad habits (shortcuts), and often those shortcut habits are never broken. Like a power hitter who will start to choke up on the bat some to avoid striking out as much, but it robs them of power. Some young players never completely develop their games because of the immediate pressures of playing every week. I think that is something you try and avoid. And if it takes an extra year before they can compete (and maybe another year beyond that to start), then you just have to live with it.

I do kinda think you might be setting yourself up with Verrett. The guy is missing some time due to the shoulder, so he is going to be behind. Then, he will miss some reps in TC, and then that will slow how fast he can pick things up. He may see a lot of time, but I think it will come in the last 2/3 or last half of the season.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Verrett could certainly struggle early, but I also think he was one of the most pro ready CB's coming out of college this year.

I agree that bad habits could be picked up, but it's the coaching staff's job to not let those continue. I also don't think you have the luxury of sitting players nowadays with the cap restraints that each team faces.

There are certainly pro and cons of playing early, but I don't think just because someone is a rookie means he has to ride the bench. There are plenty of rookies that come from pro style systems that can pick up a playbook much quicker than others.

Reese for example coming out of Baylor I think is more pro ready than a lot of rookie WRs. Those WR's are extremely well coached and have already had success in the league. His body, however, may not be pro ready. Not saying he's gonna be a starter, but he should be able to contribute some snaps each week if he's active.

Roby out of Ohio St. is a guy that needs time IMO. I would be terrified if we had to rely on him to start this year. Same with guys like Jean-Babtiste who were picked in the 2nd round. Benjamin for Carolina is clearly a guy that's not ready at WR, but he will be forced to play for them.

Most of our players though are all virtually pro ready. It's one of the benefits of really emphasizing college production like TT has done. Carrethers is the one guy that will likely need some time just because of the position, but even he has extensive time playing at the 0 tech.

Comment

• rikardo
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

In today's Kevin Acee chat, someone ask him if Floyd had surgery on his neck.
                        The answer was NO

2:35 QUESTION...

Last edited by rikardo; 05-27-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I'm not saying you automatically put a rookie on the bench. But I do think you take some players, even ones from big programs running pro style systems and play them at the rate that is appropriate for them. Some guys can probably start right away and the game is not too big for them. Some guys, it is going to take longer, and they may not get to start for some time. Being ready to play is not just about learning the playbook, it is also about getting up to NFL game speed, where everyone is bigger, faster and quicker. And players have to think faster too. And some guys/positions make that transition faster then others.

I don't disagree about Reese, except that if he cannot win a job as a return guy, he might not be active, so that would hurt his development/playing time. But like Royal, I do think he will get some time at both slot/3rd WR and FL, so that helps some. But if you are low on the depth chart at a position, and you don't play ST, it is tough to be active on game days. Reese at least has the RS thing going for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X