Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    McClain was spinal cord and Floyd was a neck injury.

Again, who has come back from a similar injury?

It could be a ton of players. But I'd like to at least read up on one to see how they performed after such an injury
    Last time I checked, the spinal cord goes through the neck. Didn't Floyd and McClain both have contusions? (I'm asking, not being snarky.) Here's an interesting article on contusions, for anyone who might be interested.
    Last edited by Panama; 05-20-2014, 03:59 AM.
    Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Didn't Joe Montana have a neck injury, which the 49er's used as a convenient excuse to move on to Steve Young? Joe played 2 or 3 more seasons after that. In the end its Floyd's decision. I'm sure he's been given plenty of information and had many discussions with his Dr's and family. He's the guy with all the information. I like him, I wish him well and I hope he has a great season. Floyd for comeback player of the year!!:cheers:
      sigpic

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

As far as the fact that Floyd will get hurt again, that is absolutely correct, but it is not something that the Chargers have to deal with yet. That is more of a deal when you put the final roster together. There isn't really an issue until they find out whether he can play or not. If he cannot play at a high level anymore, this all goes away because we will just cut him.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Still don't it...because I like the person Malcom Floyd. I couldn't care less about what contributions he may - or may not - make as a football player. He needs to negotiate an injury settlement and retire. So says Dr. QSmokey.

All kidding aside, I can't believe his risk is "like everybody else". How could he be? I'm really not happy with this news. But...it's still early. Maybe after TC, after he's had some contact in PS, he'll realize that it's just too big a risk. At least I hope that's what happens.
          I agree with you about Floyd, Q.....

And by the way, we shouldda drafted Moncrief when we had the chance.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            The problem is we don't know the associated risk. We don't even know what he was diagnosed with. He had no surgery. We don't know how his rehab has gone. To be quite frank, we shouldn't know jack shit about his case. That's why there's privacy/confidentiality laws. It's none of our business.

I guess the best analogy is being in a car crash. Do you stop driving just because you got into an accident and got hurt?

If his physician is saying there are no additional risks, there are likely no additional risks.
            He chose to be a football player and is accepting the risks associated with that.
            right on the money, IMO. When I saw the injury occur and all the replays, I really didn't even think it was that bad of a hit and he would be sore the next day and miss a few practices and be ready to play. It seems they REALLY err on the side of caution nowadays with anything involving head or neck in players. To me it looked like his chin was pressed into his chest and stretched neck ligaments and muscles, but not pushed beyond limits of the body's ability to recover. In the dirt bike racing world, there were a few cases of riders getting paralyzed after serious crashes and a type of neck stability braces was designed that limits the range of motion of your helmet/head in violent incidents and most of us adopted them while riding. The case histories here were nearly always having your head snapped backwards beyond limits and pinching the spine, or a piledriver type crash where you go head first into the ground at an ackward angle and roll on your neck at a bad angle. Personally, I have experienced 3 car accident whiplashes and a couple of face first dirt bike crashes and recovered from all. Worst lingering effect is some calcification of discs and 1 ligament in my neck and some occasional shoulder muscle spasms that limit range of motion, but all can be managed pretty easily without narcotics or surgery and I can keep enjoying my activities with no more risk than any other active 56 year old- according to my Drs.

If Floyd has been medically cleared with "no more risk" than anyone else engaged in his line of work and normal activities, then I see no reason to act like he's going to be a paraplegic with the very next contact or speculate so much about his health. He's got the best medical care and advise in the world, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt here that everyone knows the right thing to do.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              right on the money, IMO. When I saw the injury occur and all the replays, I really didn't even think it was that bad of a hit and he would be sore the next day and miss a few practices and be ready to play. It seems they REALLY err on the side of caution nowadays with anything involving head or neck in players. To me it looked like his chin was pressed into his chest and stretched neck ligaments and muscles, but not pushed beyond limits of the body's ability to recover. In the dirt bike racing world, there were a few cases of riders getting paralyzed after serious crashes and a type of neck stability braces was designed that limits the range of motion of your helmet/head in violent incidents and most of us adopted them while riding. The case histories here were nearly always having your head snapped backwards beyond limits and pinching the spine, or a piledriver type crash where you go head first into the ground at an ackward angle and roll on your neck at a bad angle. Personally, I have experienced 3 car accident whiplashes and a couple of face first dirt bike crashes and recovered from all. Worst lingering effect is some calcification of discs and 1 ligament in my neck and some occasional shoulder muscle spasms that limit range of motion, but all can be managed pretty easily without narcotics or surgery and I can keep enjoying my activities with no more risk than any other active 56 year old- according to my Drs.

If Floyd has been medically cleared with "no more risk" than anyone else engaged in his line of work and normal activities, then I see no reason to act like he's going to be a paraplegic with the very next contact or speculate so much about his health. He's got the best medical care and advise in the world, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt here that everyone knows the right thing to do.
              I agree. Another thing to consider is the person's desire. In 1992, I was in an accident where my head and neck injuries were so bad that I was in a coma for 8 days. Because I was in the Army at the time, the very day I woke up out of the coma, my commanding officer had me back out into our field training with my unit, neck brace and all, back at work and sleeping in a tent at night. Less than 10 months after that injury, I was playing sports, including football (and soccer).

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

"Based upon not being a doctor, not knowing the actual diagnosis and knowing only that he missed the bulk of the season, had a slow recovery and considered retiring, I think he should _________."

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                  I agree. Another thing to consider is the person's desire. In 1992, I was in an accident where my head and neck injuries were so bad that I was in a coma for 8 days. Because I was in the Army at the time, the very day I woke up out of the coma, my commanding officer had me back out into our field training with my unit, neck brace and all, back at work and sleeping in a tent at night. Less than 10 months after that injury, I was playing sports, including football (and soccer).
                  You should sue.

Comment

• Maverick
                    (Coryellian)
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Point Loma
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    "Based upon not being a doctor, not knowing the actual diagnosis and knowing only that he missed the bulk of the season, had a slow recovery and considered retiring, I think he should _________."
                    .....retire, because he is getting up in age for a WR, because neck injuries are nothing to mess around with, & also because has been injury-prone anyway in the past, & we can't exactly count on him being with us a full season anymore (if we ever could)."

Believe it or not, even though I have said all of this, I am & always have been a Floyd fan. I just feel we need a more reliable field-stretching WR.

Comment

• Maverick
                      (Coryellian)
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Point Loma
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                      Are you serious, SC? That is asinine!

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                        .....retire, because he is getting up in age for a WR, because neck injuries are nothing to mess around with, & also because has been injury-prone anyway in the past, & we can't exactly count on him being with us a full season anymore (if we ever could)."

Believe it or not, even though I have said all of this, I am & always have been a Floyd fan. I just feel we need a more reliable field-stretching WR.
                        But the thing is we really don't know the situation. If the doctors believe he has no greater risk of neck injury than any other player, that shouldn't be the basis for decision. Your other issues seem to be team issues, not M80 issues. In that case you seem to be requesting him to retire so we don't have to cut him.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                          Are you serious, SC? That is asinine!
                          Ditto. For SC, was that decision made on what you told your CO on how you felt, or that an Army Doctor cleared you for full duty? If you were deployed in a combat zone, I can see a CO making that decision for you, but if you were just training, there was no need for it. Anyway good for you to come back from that injury, its a heck of a lot easier to do that when you are in your early twenties.

Comment

Working...
                          X