• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwynning_Spirit
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Still don't it...because I like the person Malcom Floyd. I couldn't care less about what contributions he may - or may not - make as a football player. He needs to negotiate an injury settlement and retire. So says Dr. QSmokey.

All kidding aside, I can't believe his risk is "like everybody else". How could he be? I'm really not happy with this news. But...it's still early. Maybe after TC, after he's had some contact in PS, he'll realize that it's just too big a risk. At least I hope that's what happens.
    Agreed.

If the Chargers keep him though, they need their heads examined as well. This would be up there with keeping Castillo, Cooper, B.Sanders, Busted Davis for a last hoorah after they proved they didn't have the body to last through a season.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Jameel McClain (ILB formerly of the Ravens, now Giants), missed the end of a recent season, only to come back and play again. I do know other people in other sports who have come back from various neurological traumas and have had mixed successes. But again, the issue is the extent of the injury and the degree of recovery.

If Floyd wants to continue, he should feel free to pursuit it. I don't think you let fear of the unknown make the decision. Letting fear of the unknown or potential risk to me says no one should play football, or any contact sport (or pole vaulting). It isn't any more dangerous to him then to someone else, yet there is some perceived risk that really anyone would share.

If he wanted to retire because the injury shook him, I would totally understand, and would encourage him to do so.

The other issue is that just because he wants to doesn't mean he is necessarily going to be able to come back. Some people have more loss of function then others, and he might not be able to compete well enough to win a job. If he does exhibit loss of function, then I think the Chargers may need to "help" him with his decision.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

You can not take the oppertunity away from a downed rider to get back on Mr Hoarse. He will alway want to know if he could have played again. If he has changed as a player due to playing with fear he will not play the same and likely be cut. If he can play with no fear he can choise to retire or not, at least its on his terms.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          No one has the right to decide his future. He's clearly been made aware of the risks, he's choosing to play.
          No one but Floyd will obviously decide if he continues to pursue an NFL career.

Still, people can speculate whether or not it's worth the risk
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
            Jermichael Finley (Packers TE) also had a neck injury last year
            Was it a similar injury?
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Jameel McClain (ILB formerly of the Ravens, now Giants), missed the end of a recent season, only to come back and play again.
              McClain was spinal cord and Floyd was a neck injury.

Again, who has come back from a similar injury?

It could be a ton of players. But I'd like to at least read up on one to see how they performed after such an injury
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                No one but Floyd will obviously decide if he continues to pursue an NFL career.

Still, people can speculate whether or not it's worth the risk
                The problem is we don't know the associated risk. We don't even know what he was diagnosed with. He had no surgery. We don't know how his rehab has gone. To be quite frank, we shouldn't know jack shit about his case. That's why there's privacy/confidentiality laws. It's none of our business.

I guess the best analogy is being in a car crash. Do you stop driving just because you got into an accident and got hurt?

If his physician is saying there are no additional risks, there are likely no additional risks.
                He chose to be a football player and is accepting the risks associated with that.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  The problem is we don't know the associated risk. We don't even know what he was diagnosed with. He had no surgery. We don't know how his rehab has gone. To be quite frank, we shouldn't know jack shit about his case. That's why there's privacy/confidentiality laws. It's none of our business..
                  Exactly.

Which is why I said "people can speculate whether or not it's worth the risk"

But no one knows.

I wonder what the last team doctor thought about his risks
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• rikardo
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    Was it a similar injury?
                    It sounds worst than Floyd. He (Finley) had the C3 and C4 vertebrae in his spine fused together.

The Packers tight end, soon to be a free agent, has come a long way since a near-paralyzing hit and spinal-fusion surgery in October. As he works strenuously to regain his playing form, his biggest challenge may be to convince teams he’s not a risk

I don't believe Chargers have told what Floyd had (other than a neck injury) and what Doctors did to it. Mike McCoy's system of keeping that info in house. I do like that by the way (not kidding)...
                    Last edited by rikardo; 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                      I don't believe Chargers have told what Floyd had (other than a neck injury) and what Doctors did to it. Mike McCoy's system of keeping that info in house. I do like that by the way (not kidding)...
                      So how can you or anyone else say that Floyd's injury is similar to other players?
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Here's a more callous take on the situation.

Who's not going to be available when Floyd gets hurt again (he WILL get hurt again...make no mistake)? It doesn't have to be the neck again. But he will get hurt. We know this like we know the sun will come up at a certain time of the day. Who gets cut due to Floyd's making the team because he's simply the guy that Rivers is most familiar with entering the season?

And then there's the medical end of it. Floyd is a looming medical disaster on the football field. Fuck. There is no good news in any of this.

Terrible situation all around IMO.
                        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Opera singer and web developer.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          Still don't it...because I like the person Malcom Floyd. I couldn't care less about what contributions he may - or may not - make as a football player. He needs to negotiate an injury settlement and retire. So says Dr. QSmokey.

All kidding aside, I can't believe his risk is "like everybody else". How could he be? I'm really not happy with this news. But...it's still early. Maybe after TC, after he's had some contact in PS, he'll realize that it's just too big a risk. At least I hope that's what happens.
                          I didn't realize you were a medical doctor, Q. The swelling has gone down, the neck is stabilised... his risk of injury is no greater or less than anyone else's. I like Malcom. Heck, I really like Rivers, too. Maybe he should retire. I don't want Rivers getting hurt and not being able to be there for his ever-growing family. That's much more important. Let's let all the good guys retire and let Aaron Hernandez back into the league and let all the thugs maim each other.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X