Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      wasn't Romo undrafted out of Eastern Illinois?
      yep, and some guy went from bagging groceries to a Super Bowl winning QB and a couple CFL rejects QBs did pretty well in the NFL too. Brady was a 6th. Humphries IIRC a 5th and took several years and a change of teams to flourish. Hell, I don't think Fouts bloomed until his 4th/5th year when Coryell came in. Some guys just aren't gonna buy the idea that grooming a QB that wasn't a top round pick for a couple years is a wise investment for the future.
      Last edited by SDFan; 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltergeist
        Pesky apparition
        • Jun 2013
        • Baja Oklahoma
        • Send PM

The Bolts messed up by taking Sorenson in the 7th. According to the historical precedent set by Warner and Romo, he would have had more value as an undrafted free agent.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          He didn't run the scout team, CBJ did.

I'm sure they have a better grasp, but like that 20 year study I posted, no 7th round pick has had real success. Best case scenario is a career backup. I go by statistics and probability to at least try and make a slightly educated guess.
          why don't you look at the stats for 1st round pick QBs- boom or bust- for an eye opener- instead of focusing on all players from the 7th round? You keep repeating Sorenson doesn't help us win THIS YEAR, but they have to think beyond this year. Once Rivers is out of the picture, its not automatic you spend a 1st round pick and he steps in like Andrew Luck replacing Manning. We very likely will not be drafting at the top of the 1st for many years either, so those top picks won't be there for us anyways. Better to develop a guy they like now and work his way up the depth chart over a couple years. He could easily take over #2 from Clemons after next year and be QB in waiting behind Rivers after that.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Bolts need to trade a 2 for a future 1 some year so they have ammo to move up and get their next qb in the 1st. Maybe in 2018 or so. In the meantime, if Sorenson is so great, why did they bring in Clemons as the #2?
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              Bolts need to trade a 2 for a future 1 some year so they have ammo to move up and get their next qb in the 1st. Maybe in 2018 or so. In the meantime, if Sorenson is so great, why did they bring in Clemons as the #2?
              Didn't you read the beginning of this discussion? Sorensen has the potential to be at the very least a solid backup, but he is not ready yet. That's why Clemons has been brought in. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this is Clemons's only year on the team, though.

Remember, taking a few years to allow a QB to develop used to be the typical MO. It's only in the last few years that the thinking has shifted on that. Some QBs benefit from playing right away. Others become damaged goods if they are rushed. I believe if we take the time to develop Sorensen properly, it will pay dividends, either in the form of a solid backup (and, if needed, spot starter) for Rivers or in the form of a trade. It's short-sighted to take a what-can-he-do-for-us-now approach with him.
              Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                TT has shown a knack for finding players not at the top of the 1st round. I don't see him mortgaging the future to move into the #1 or #2 spot, and bet he could find a talented QB in any round. Teams obviously feel more secure with a veteran as #2 QB, but the presence of Clemons is not definitive proof that Sorenson has no future or value to the team. You seem to like to draw absolute conclusions strictly from player moves the team makes without any context of knowing what the clubs thought process was, while some of us believe moves they don't make are equally (or more) telling.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Maverick
                    (Coryellian)
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Point Loma
                    • Send PM

unreal.....seriously, it seems some guys just can't stay on the field

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

It depends on how long it lasts. If this is just part of the getting into game shape part, where your body gets used to the pounding and straining that you cannot simulate in training, then fine. He should be back soon.

If this is Ingram not being able to stay healthy, then it is a bigger deal.

In the end, I think we need to get in the habit of making at least 1 draft pick in the OLB or DE spots every single year, to constantly have fresh blood coming into the organization. It takes time to develop these players, and you aren't going to hit on them all.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

McCoy in his press conference said that Ingram earned his break...

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

Is it that hot out there guys? Is the humidity up? Are they having the practices in the middle of the day? It seems they're having a lot of cramping issues.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X