• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I don't think we had anybody that could get open deep. You know Philip loves the deep ball.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      I don't think we had anybody that could get open deep. You know Philip loves the deep ball.
      That was part of the problem.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Philip + Norv = you would think a match made in heaven. Problem was this is the NFL and not a pick up game. Too much deep ball = what we had from 2010 to 2012. Philip needs to switch his focus to his quick release. In combination with his head (pre snap reads) his quick release is deadly. And, the sooner he gets the ball into the receivers hands the better chance that guy has time to do something after the catch. It wouldn't be a bad thing for our receiving corp to lead the league in YAC.
        sigpic

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

TT thinks so too, look at the two O skill players he drafted.

Comment

• Wheels
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

We could find a little more balance. I don't think we were so conservative because that was the desire, but our receiver corps injuries really dictated keeping it short range. If Floyd stays healthy, I expect some more deep balls, and that should help the offense out.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

I don't care about the deep ball at all. That's not our style anymore. It just needs to be a threat.

If a DB is gonna give it to is by jumping short routes, sure go for it. Otherwise take the 8 yard completions and laugh all the way to the end zone.

Improve our red zone % is really all that needs to happen. First and foremost that falls on our blocking. It was horrible on various instances down there. Clean that up. Second is to make Green the first option. He's our greatest mismatch. Hopefully he's developed enough so we can finally exploit that.

Lastly is the running attack. Gotta do better punching it in. Assuming the blocking improves, this should take care of itself. Sadly Matthews isn't the type of back that makes it happen on his own, so they have to help him a bit.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I like Reese in the slot with Green at TE have them push the safteys back occational with them and if you get by the dbs go for it! With Reese you can have him attack the sideline and Green the seem. Reese is a good candidate for the quick slants too.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Don't really expect much outta Reese this year. If he does win the return duties, we could maybe see him on a few snaps a game. I'd like to see him releasing from the bunch formations we use. Get him in space and get him the ball quick. If he's able to turn the corner, he's gone.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I don't think Rivers love the deep ball so much. In college he was not a long ball thrower at all. He had a lot of passes that went for big gains, but a huge percentage of those were medium passes that broke free behind the D and that he hit someone as soon as the chance presented itself.

His int problems with us had a lot more to do with a lack of options. We didn't really spread the field with Norv. We attacked the back end, but in the various years Norv coaches, teams did an awful lot of attack the line with their front 7, drop the secondary to cover, and we got left with a whole lot of nothing.

I like the new offense, mostly because it varies the tempo. It took some longer throws. It throws off of play action. It throws short and to the RB. But it attacks the whole field and it varies how quickly it hits, so defense need to mix up their calls.

I don't care about the deep ball at all. That's not our style anymore. It just needs to be a threat.

If a DB is gonna give it to is by jumping short routes, sure go for it. Otherwise take the 8 yard completions and laugh all the way to the end zone.

Improve our red zone % is really all that needs to happen. First and foremost that falls on our blocking. It was horrible on various instances down there. Clean that up. Second is to make Green the first option. He's our greatest mismatch. Hopefully he's developed enough so we can finally exploit that.

Lastly is the running attack. Gotta do better punching it in. Assuming the blocking improves, this should take care of itself. Sadly Matthews isn't the type of back that makes it happen on his own, so they have to help him a bit.
                    I don't think you can rely on just waiting till teams make a mistake in coverage to go deep. If you really want to be good on O, you have to dictate to teams that you have to think we are going to go deep on you at some point. Look at some of the most explosive offenses in recent memory, it is because defenses don't know if the offense will hit short or long, and the DB can't jump the routes. They play vanilla but get very passive and worry about making the mistake and then the make it.

As far as the blocking and Mathews, name one RB who can get yards on the goalline (or anywhere) on their own? It's always about blocking.

We could find a little more balance. I don't think we were so conservative because that was the desire, but our receiver corps injuries really dictated keeping it short range. If Floyd stays healthy, I expect some more deep balls, and that should help the offense out.
                    The knock against too much short passing and running is that it takes forever to score long TD drives, and usually you kill yourself on long drives. A penalty or a turnover, and often you get nothing out of long ones. But we proved that wasn't as big an issue. I don't think the new coaches got enough credit for how well we took a decent, but somewhat average roster and overachieved by just not shooting ourselves in the foot. I am just not sure we can count on that every year. But force defenses to back off some, give our shorter passes some room to get YAC, and open up some running lanes, and I think we can be more consistently almost get yards in chunks, and then we can continue o stopping people with field position.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I don't think Rivers love the deep ball so much. In college he was not a long ball thrower at all. He had a lot of passes that went for big gains, but a huge percentage of those were medium passes that broke free behind the D and that he hit someone as soon as the chance presented itself.

His int problems with us had a lot more to do with a lack of options. We didn't really spread the field with Norv. We attacked the back end, but in the various years Norv coaches, teams did an awful lot of attack the line with their front 7, drop the secondary to cover, and we got left with a whole lot of nothing.

I like the new offense, mostly because it varies the tempo. It took some longer throws. It throws off of play action. It throws short and to the RB. But it attacks the whole field and it varies how quickly it hits, so defense need to put the lotion in the basket!!!!!!!
                      Thats better!
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Thats better!
                        Time to eat this Wendys
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Opera singer and web developer.
                          • Send PM

Cox? Oh, wait...
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X