• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

“Vincent comes out and has a great practice almost every day,” Allen said. “He puts in work, so it’s real hard to compete with that. Not taking anything from Malcom or Eddie, but Vincent really stands out with his routes and stuff like that.
    Great to hear that. We could really use him to make the jump to the next level.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Good to hear about Vincent, but it's just words. If you notice the first thing out of Reichs mouth when referring to Allen - beating the press off the line, his explosion. I hate to beat a dead horse, but until I see that from Vincent, I just don't see how he excels in our offense. He's not suddenly going to grow a few inches and add 20 LBs so he can't outmuscle people.

It's a quick short passing game, if a WR can't get open in that time span, well you get the point. Not to mention having that quick acceleration to make a move after the catch.

The more encouraging quotes are about Floyd. Big, tall, quick. That we can work with.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Will Chargers hold up at nose tackle?

By Tom Krasovic 02:00p.m. Jun 3, 2014

The Chargers have several nose tackles on their roster. Unimpressed, Pete Prisco of CBSSports rates nose tackle the team's position of greatest concern.

They have veteran Sean Lissemore as the starter for now, but they better hope rookie Ryan Carrethers can step in and play quickly. He is a big body at 337 pounds, while Lissemore is smaller at 303 pounds. Lissemore did take the job from the bigger Cam Thomas last season. Kwame Geathers is also in the mix.

We've written several stories about nose tackle in recent months.

Start with Lissemore, who proved to be a serviceable starter despite weird circumstances.

He came to the Chargers in a September trade, after preparing to play tackle and end in the Cowboys' new 4-3 defense.

In December, he supplanted Cam Thomas at nose before suffering a shoulder injury that kept him out of both playoff games.

The Chargers picked their spots with Lissemore, 26, who was disruptive at end as well.

"It's a physical, physical position," Lissemore said after replacing Thomas. "I always pride myself on being a physical player, but pretty much any position on the defensive line is physical. ... Nose is like stepping into an intersection. You never know where you're going to get hit from. It's tough, but it's fun."

Difference-makers at nose tackle were part of several recent Super Bowl winners or losers that ran a 3-4 defense, but as Louis Nix III and Timmy Jernigan discovered on May 8, unless an NFL team deems you extra special, the growing demand for faster defenders argues against taking a nose tackle in the first round.

Carrethers has a wide body but looked fit at recent Chargers practices. I expect coaches will work with him to lower his attack angle.

Geathers, undrafted out of Georgia in 2013, has kept himself fit and showed some burst in preseason games last year. Having a higher center of gravity, though, makes it tough for the 6-foot-6, 335-pounder to create and sustain leverage.

Undrafted rookie Tenny Palepoi is also practicing at Chargers Park. In the two non-padded practices open to the media, the 6-1, 298-pounder from Utah held the point with some success against other backups.

Several offenses on this year's schedule are powerful running the ball, and I expect them to try to pound the Chargers.

The Chargers, like many teams, are accustomed to making due without an elite nose tackle. Philip Rivers is back to lead an offense that again appears equipped to grind out long drives, sheltering the defense. Reducing the demands on their interior linemen, the Chargers developed effective nickel and dime packages late last year, as linebackers got healthy and backup safeties grew into roles. Line coach Don Johnson is an effective teacher and motivator. His unit overcoming four season-ending injuries in 2009, for example, was crucial to a 13-3 season.

John Pagano knows how to gin up success on defense. Getting that done up to and including a Super Bowl would be a monumental task, but the overall talent looked improved coming out of the offseason. At nose tackle, the Chargers appear no worse off than they were last June. What that foretells is a mystery, considering the high peaks and low valleys of last year.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

wait?? Prisco unimpressed??!!!!! that's it we're fucked.
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Good to hear about Vincent, but it's just words. If you notice the first thing out of Reichs mouth when referring to Allen - beating the press off the line, his explosion. I hate to beat a dead horse, but until I see that from Vincent, I just don't see how he excels in our offense. He's not suddenly going to grow a few inches and add 20 LBs so he can't outmuscle people.

It's a quick short passing game, if a WR can't get open in that time span, well you get the point. Not to mention having that quick acceleration to make a move after the catch.

The more encouraging quotes are about Floyd. Big, tall, quick. That we can work with.
              It probably is true. I don't think players feel the need to stick up for one another if it is not warranted.

It is also not particularly relevant. I like the fact that Brown works hard and runs great routes in practice. But practices are not games. At some point the only thing that matters is performing in the games. You need to give players the chance to develop, but there is a limit to that and because of the contract, Brown is approaching his. I hope he plays well, and it is a good sign, but he still has to perform.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Love this guys attitude. Just phenomenal.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Ju...xing-chargers/

With his boxing and body slamming skills, he'd make a great villain in the next Rocky film. Thunder Lips, Clubber Lang, Drago, Fluker.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I pitty the fool who spars with Fluker!
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

FOr a big guy who doesn't move his feet and is still working on hand placement, it is just about the perfect offseason cross training for him.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

SAN DIEGO – Upon his arrival at Chargers Park, rookie receiver Tevin Reese was greeted with something he’d never had to deal with in his football playing career – a phone-book thick playbook.

At Baylor, the speedy receiver did not use a playbook under head coach Art Briles. Instead, Briles and his assistants taught his team’s up-tempo offense through a lot of repetitions on the field and film study on an iPad.

It worked, with Baylor averaging a Football Bowl Subdivision-best 52.4 points per game in 2013.

Tevin Reese set a Baylor record with 21 career touchdowns of 40-plus yards.
                        Although a little daunting at first, Reese says he’s slowly getting comfortable in San Diego’s complex offense.

“The first couple weeks was probably just out of this world, with all of these plays coming at me at one time,” Reese said. “I never had a playbook my whole life. But just studying the playbook and being around the vets, they are teaching me the ropes. I’m starting to get it, and it’s becoming second nature.”

Helping in that transition for Reese has been another young receiver, second-year pro Keenan Allen.

“I try to make him feel as comfortable as possible,” Allen said. “I know that was my problem when I came in, I wasn’t as comfortable as I wanted to be. So you tend to make mistakes, you tend to think too much. So I just try to calm him down, make sure they’re playing their game and they feel comfortable.”

What Reese brings to San Diego’s offense is explosiveness. Reese set a school record and led the NCAA with 21 career touchdowns of 40-plus yards.

Reese said he patterns his game after another explosive playmaker in the NFL – electrifying return man Ted Ginn Jr.

Reese has not worked on the field as a returner since high school. But like riding a bike, Reese says he’s more comfortable catching returns in practice.

At 5-foot-9 and 165 pounds, Reese also knows he has to put on more weight in order to handle the pounding he will take in the NFL. However, Reese does not shy away from contact. He was a 140-pound tight end in high school, using cut blocks to take down defensive ends and linebackers in the run game.

“I’ve always been small my whole life, and I’ve found a way to make it work,” Reese said. “And I’m still going to do that in the NFL.

“You can’t tackle what you can’t catch, and that’s what I live by.”

One thing Reese will have to do is consistently beat press coverage – with bigger cornerbacks attempting to negate his speed by slowing him down at the line of scrimmage. But the confident Reese believes he can win those one-on-one battles with proper technique.

“Beating press isn’t all about being big and strong – a lot of technique comes into play,” he said. “So if you have great technique, you can’t beat anybody at press off the line. So once I beat the press, it’s kind of hard to catch up to me.”

Reese said he saw a lot of press at Baylor, and was able to beat press coverage with shiftiness, technique and speed.

“He’s amazingly fast,” Allen said. “He can go. To see him run is amazing, and when he catches the ball, he’s gone. He’s a great pickup.”
                        From the Espn blog.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Ju...xing-chargers/

I prefer DL who wrestle and OT who box.

Comment

Working...
                          X