• Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

I think some of the disappointment with keeping Stick is surprising....do some not know what "developmental" QB means? Sure, to Jones credit, he looked better...but the bolts could have found a dozen vets that would have outplayed Stick in his first pro camp...the whole point to keeping him is his intangibles, which we feel he is loaded with.

Now...I do expect hard work, and great improvement next camp. Possibly competing for the #2 role well enough that we can let Tyrod go for the cheaper Stick option behind Rivers.
    Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Glibert Manzano -

Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt had finally seen the results he wanted from quarterback Cardale Jones, but there was still disappointment in his tone.
      "I would have liked to have seen that two years ago," Whisenthunt said on Aug. 21.
      That was a telling sign that Jones' drastic improvements had arrived too late. On Saturday, the Chargers pulled the plug on their quarterback project.
      Jones was one of many players who were released by the Chargers before the 1 p.m. deadline to trim the roster from 90 to 53 players.
      Jones thanked the Chargers on social media and quickly moved on by changing the profile picture he had of him wearing a Chargers uniform. It probably won't be long before he's sporting another uniform because of the standout summer he's had.
      "No setbacks, just setups," Jones tweeted. "Thanks Chargers for a great two years."
      This was the second time the Chargers have waived Jones. He was let go last year but brought back for the practice squad after going unclaimed on waivers.
      Jones received plenty of opportunities to prove it to the Chargers after they sent a seventh-round pick to the Buffalo Bills to get him in 2017. The 6-foot-5 Ohio State product with a strong arm received another opportunity this year, but not without competition.
      The Chargers drafted quarterback Easton Stick in the fifth-round of this year's draft and it appeared Jones' days were numbered with the team before his sudden surge.
      Jones started the preseason with a shaky outing before finishing with three impressive performances. He also showed signs of progress off the field in his maturity and work ethic, according to the coaching staff.
      "Not anything against Cardale, I'm extremely excited about the way that he's performed in our camp," Whisenhunt said this month when asked about Jones' progress. "Maybe it's just the process of growing up a little bit. He came out young. I think maybe it's being in the same system for a couple of years.
      "It has been different (this year) and that's a credit to him. He worked hard. You could see it early in the spring. It's nice to see him perform the way that he has on the field. He did a really nice job."
      In the end, the Chargers went with Stick's upside despite a few shaky preseason performances.

The Chargers rarely cut ties this soon with players they've drafted in the middle rounds, but with starter Philip Rivers and backup Tyrod Taylor atop the depth chart, Stick had to prove he belonged on the roster. He flashed enough that the Chargers didn't want to risk putting him on waivers with the possibility of stashing him on their practice squad.
      Receivers let go
      With the return of veteran Dontrelle Inman, it appeared there was one wide receiver spot available for Artavis Scott and Andre Patton to compete for. Neither wideout made the 53-man roster.
      Scott and Patton made receiving plays in the preseason, but the Chargers likely wanted to see more from them on special teams, which is why they kept wide receiver Geremy Davis, a vital contributor on special teams the past two years.
      Scott was the Chargers' receiving leader during the exhibition season and Patton showed big-play ability with two preseason touchdowns. The Chargers might be hoping to bring them back for the practice squad, but by the way they performed, it's likely that at least one will be claimed on waivers.
      The Chargers will move on with their four-man receiving group of Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin and Inman, who was recruited by Rivers after he was granted his release from the New England Patriots this month. Inman played with the Chargers from 2014 to 2017.
      Pope, Peace make roster; Watkins left off
      It wasn't that long ago that Troymaine Pope was starting a new job building tanks because he had no NFL interest.
      Three years later, Pope earned the Chargers' interest in the preseason with his playmaking ability as a running back and punt returner. The Chargers chose Pope over running back Detrez Newsome for their 53-man roster.
      In a battle of defensive ends, the Chargers went with undrafted rookie Chris Peace instead of veteran Anthony Lanier.
      Jaylen Watkins was arguably the biggest surprise on cutdown day. The defensive back appeared as a safe choice to make the roster because he can play cornerback and safety. Perhaps the team is optimistic that they can bring him back after star safety Derwin James is placed on injured reserve. James is sidelined because of a right foot injury.
      Okung to miss six weeks
      Left tackle Russell Okung was kept on the non-football illness list, which will sideline him for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. Okung has been out since June because of a pulmonary embolism that was caused by blood clots.
      Trent Scott is the likely candidate to replace Okung for the start of the regular season.
      Gordon allowed to seek trade
      Days after Chargers general manager Tom Telesco expressed disappointment for not having a resolution with holdout running back Melvin Gordon, reports emerged Saturday that the team has allowed Gordon's agents to seek a trade.
      The star running back missed all of training camp and the preseason with hopes of landing his desired contract extension. Gordon's holdout will reach its 40th day on Sunday.
      Notable roster cuts
      Cardale Jones, QB
      Artavis Scott, WR
      Andre Patton, WR
      T.Y. McGill, DT
      Anthony Lanier, DE
      Detrez Newsome, RB
      Jaylen Watkins, DB
      Adarius Pickett (UCLA), DB
      Final roster
      Quarterbacks: Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick
      Running backs: Melvin Gordon (Did not report list), Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Troymaine Pope
      Fullback: Derek Watt
      Offensive line: Russell Okung (NFI), Trent Scott, Forrest Lamp, Mike Pouncey, Michael Schofield, Sam Tevi, Dan Feeney, Trey Pipkins, Scott Quessenberry
      Wide receivers: Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin, Dontrelle Inman, Geremy Davis
      Tight ends: Hunter Henry, Virgil Green, Sean Culkin
      Defensive line: Joey Bosa, Justin Jones, Brandon Mebane, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Tillery, Isaac Rochell, Damion Square, Chris Peace, Cortez Broughton
      Linebackers: Uchenna Nwosu, Denzel Perryman, Thomas Davis, Kyzir White, Jatavis Brown, Drue Tranquill, Nick Dzubnar, Emeke Egbule
      Cornerbacks: Casey Hayward, Michael Davis, Desmond King, Trevor Williams, Brandon Facyson
      Safeties: Derwin James (IR), Rayshawn Jenkins, Adrian Phillips, Nasir Adderley, Roderic Teamer
      Kicker: Michael Badgley
      Punter: Ty Long
      Long Snapper: Cole Mazza

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Am i the only one not surprised Dzub made the team? I took some flack for saying it would happen. lol

The question about Stick is where will he be when he has the same amount of time Jones had? This may be a ceiling thing.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Am i the only one not surprised Dzub made the team? I took some flack for saying it would happen. lol
          Him and G. Davis, for ST, yeah okay.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

not to beat a dead horse but I would have...
            given Square's spot to Lanier or McGill
            Dzub's to Watkins
            Brown's to an OL
            Watt's to Cox
            Stick to PS and keep Scott

but what the hell do I know
            GO BOLTS
            Darius "4.36" Davis
            top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

someone said it earlier but Ekeler not being on ST benefited Dzub
              that's a casualty of the Gordon holdout
              Darius "4.36" Davis
              top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Him and G. Davis, for ST, yeah okay.
                Thats all i said.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I like Patton, thought he had a chance...then the Bolts brought in Inman...
                  Bigger surprise was cutting Scott .He had the best preseason of all the WRs.
                  Even bigger surprise is keeping DZub.

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    someone said it earlier but Ekeler not being on ST benefited Dzub
                    that's a casualty of the Gordon holdout
                    With Phillips taking over for James that helped Dzub as well. The linebackers and DL are stacked with good players. The whole D is stacked even without James. The only group that isn't stacked is o-line

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      I think some of the disappointment with keeping Stick is surprising....do some not know what "developmental" QB means? Sure, to Jones credit, he looked better...but the bolts could have found a dozen vets that would have outplayed Stick in his first pro camp...the whole point to keeping him is his intangibles, which we feel he is loaded with.

Now...I do expect hard work, and great improvement next camp. Possibly competing for the #2 role well enough that we can let Tyrod go for the cheaper Stick option behind Rivers.

I think they did the right thing in not keeping Jones since barring complete catastrophe, he would've just taken up a spot on the roster, and then I think would have been an RFA in 2020. Whereas with Stick he's got all the way to 2022 to develop.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bigger surprise was cutting Scott .He had the best preseason of all the WRs.
                        Even bigger surprise is keeping DZub.
                        As long as we only see dzubbs on ST I'm ok with it.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

I just saw that part where TT has allowed Gordon to seek a trade...wow. Didn't think it would come to this. At this point, however...I say if he can get us some capitol, show him the door. More likely he won't find a partner, though...this is just gonna be a distraction in a season where we are starting off without our best defender, and best olineman.

Fortunately we still have a pretty good team, and the easiest half of our schedule is the first half...survive that, get Okung back and the Gordon situation resolved...we could still be in pretty good shape.
                          Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X