• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Franchise
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I promise you there is no way to know what he did or didn't say. What we do know he said is that he would draft kyler Murray with the number one pick.
    He said that when he was coaching him... which is what all coaches should say. He didn't say that in the interview... because they wouldn't even have validated his parking.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post

does he have the mental make up and personality to "sit and learn" 1-3 years behind Rivers- or any starting QB? If he has his mind set he's a starter PERIOD that will cause problems if he sits.
      I don't know. I think every QBs has to have some level of cockiness or they aren't going to be able to lead. On the other hand they all have to have some level of humility because this game can be brutal. Rosen May swing more towards the former but he very likely has some of the latter.

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by The Franchise View Post
        He said that when he was coaching him... which is what all coaches should say. He didn't say that in the interview... because they wouldn't even have validated his parking.
        But you can't tell me what he said in his interview. He may have been non commital or maybe he was talked up for being a web guru or maybe he just plummchanged his mind. Either way he's making some calls and he's got a fat contract so he gets to put a stamp on his team.

We we don't know what they are saying or doing behind closed doors so as much as it's not possible it's possible.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

All this keeps reminding me of the deal AJ made to snag Rivers. And who woulda believed that before the day if the draft.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If it's just a 2nd, I'm on board with it.

Dude is gonna have a HUGE chip on his shoulder and I love that.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post

does he have the mental make up and personality to "sit and learn" 1-3 years behind Rivers- or any starting QB? If he has his mind set he's a starter PERIOD that will cause problems if he sits.
              Agreed!

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Telesco has traded up and used a #50 pick for Attaochu. Trade up and uses a #38 pick for Teo.
                Used 3rds on Tuerk #66. Mager #83. Watt #89.

I don't see him having any problem giving up pick#60 for a QB prospect that was a top 10 pick last year.

Its the Cardinals that are probably having the issue of trading a young potential franchise QB for a low 2nd rd pick. They want more. But they don't have much leverage other than attempt to creating a bidding war for him.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The decision-making thing I am not sure is something that can be learned. To me, there are a lot of QB who make bad decisions because they are overconfident in their arm, and they will never really learn to overcome that. I may be totally wrong about it, but that is what I think I think. IN baseball, sometimes you see players who love to swing at everything and have no plate discipline, and they may get a little better, but they are basically always going to be that guy.

As far as his play last year, he was late on a lot of throws and made a lot of bad reads, in large part because I think he is looking at the pass rushers, not the receivers. If you look at their stats though, and the other rookie QB, they all did the same thing. Rosen, Josh Allen and Sam Darnold are all about the same player. All of them put up more or less the same stats. It's splitting hairs between them. None of them had a lot of offensive help, and it showed.
                  loved me some Manny Sangui!!en

do think Rosen is an excellent passer.... how good of a QB he can be, me thinx is yet to be seen, and....

still surmise Jarrett >> Josh

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

dropping from 28 to 33 is the equivalent of a fourth rounder.

adding the above to our reported offer of #60 takes it up about a quarter of a round (eight or so spots).

my personal opinion is that Rosen's skill set is similar to Eli Manning, however am not a fan of Rosen's intangibles/reports out of this locker room etc,, and.... was very much a fan of Eli's intangibles, as prefer a more low key/down 2 earth persona....

would also volunteer that Rosen is (easily) a starting QB in the NFL, and.... perhaps you're not a fan of him personally, albeit he has an NFL skill set/tool box @QB.

(are his intangibles comparable to a Jeff George or ?)

if you're NY, do you prefer Daniel Jones @17 or would you give that pick up for Rosen ??

if you're Wash DC, do you opt for Jones, hope for Lock to drop, or take the "sure thing" in Joshy Josh ??

if I'm Miami, am going Haskins all day over the all of 'em.

think if for any reason/by any chance Cincy was going QB, they'd be leaning Dwayne as well.

and can't see team Gruden/Mayock having much if any interest in Rosen, and so....

guessing it comes down to talent evals....

personally think Rosen is better than the either of Lock or Jones, and can't say Rosen's intangibles are any the much worse than Drew's, and....

think you can make the argument for Daniel Jones' intangibles over Rosen's, and....

seems likely that Az could do well holding out for a mid round first from the either of Wash DC or NYG ??

my guess is that if Lock is off the board, and that if 'tis true that NY likes Daniel, then ol' Daniel Snyder might be the guy that coughs up his (team's) first for Joshy Josh....

ps. now that I think of it/reread my post.... not so sure Rosen is a match w/Jay Gruden ??

(do think Lock is a Jay Gruden fit, and do like Rosen for.... Green Bay ?)

edit: looking over the first round again, and if the Pat's interest in Rosen has some veracity to it, guessin' that's his most likely destination, and if our (reported) offer is the best on the table, all they have to do is ante up one of their seconds (#56), and can hold onto their #32 ??
                    Last edited by beachcomber; 04-01-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Andy Benoit on Rosen:
                      https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/07/jo...rray-nfl-draft

Making the case for Josh Rosen

Andy Benoit

The notion of Kyler Murray being drafted first overall is exciting. And, if the Cardinals and their new head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, believe that is their best move, they should make it. But let's not confuse love for Murray with hate for last year's No. 10 draft pick Josh Rosen. One GM last week told NBC's Peter King that the Arizona would likely get just a third-round pick for Rosen. If that's true, then the team that gets Rosen will have landed one of the biggest coups in NFL history. Even if Rosen costs as much as a mid-first-round pick, it'd be a coup.

Before Kingsbury was hired as Arizona's head coach and before speculation of Murray to the Cardinals beganMike McCoy out, Byron Leftwich inthis year's QB class, he'd be debated as the potential first overall pick.

Let's also understand: Rosen so far has looked much, much more encouraging on film than he has on the broadcast or on paper. Yes, he's made some very bad reads, and his understanding of protections and defensive pressure concepts needs work (this was especially evident against quality designer blitz teams like Minnesota); that's normal with a young QB. What's not normal is that despite his growing pains, Rosen never lost his toughness in the pocket. Many QBs--even veterans--playing behind an O-line like Arizona's would have started seeing ghosts and getting jittery, but Rosen did not. He consistently kept his eyes downfield and maintained his throwing posture. That sort of pocket toughness is, besides intelligence and throwing accuracy, as critical a trait as an NFL QB can have. Most NFL coaches privately say that it's what has made Tom Brady.

Rosen has also shown promise in those intelligence and accuracy departments. He connected on several designer downfield throws last year that involved diagnosing coverage and manipulating safeties. When he was playing confidently, his ball placement was almost perfect. Yes, he must play with confidence more regularly ... and he will, once he has adequate receivers and offensive linemen.

Rosen is also a better mover than people realize, but his game centers around timing-and-rhythm dropback passing--a style of play that often translates soundly to the NFL long-term. Timing-and-rhythm dropback passing works in every system, and can produce handsomely in the smarter ones.

Some have speculated that the Redskins are a possible suitor for Rosen. Jay Gruden's QB-friendly offense is meticulously detailed and built around on-schedule throws, so it would be a tremendous fit for Rosen. In fact, stylistically, he would be an immediate upgrade over what the team had when Alex Smith was healthy. Rosen would attempt the aggressive on-schedule throws that Smith often passed up. Washington has the 15th overall pick. Trading that for Rosen (and his insanely cheap rookie contract) would be a mega steal. Getting him for anything less than the No. 15 pick would be grand larceny.

The most common knock against Rosen is his personality, but analyzing that from afar is merely guesswork. Jay Cutler's personality was a problem when the Bears went below .500 but was rarely talked about the year they reached the NFC Championship. No one said boo about Aaron Rodgers' personality until his Packers failed to reach the playoffs these past two years. And even these are just loose observations made under the (likely false) assumption that personality has been a significant factor in those players' performances. Also, circumstances can influence a player's perceived personality. For example, ask yourself: How would that beloved chip on Baker Mayfield's shoulder be viewed if Mayfield had had to overcome Arizona's receivers and O-line last year? It's all just random speculation.

What's not random speculation is what Rosen has shown on film. If he really is just sitting in Arizona's bargain bin right now, NFL teams should be rushing to the store.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Xenos, chiefly because of the importance a franchise QB, this is a shot worth taking.

To me it is laughable to suggest that Rosen would not be willing to learn behind Rivers.

The Charger have specific holes, but they are close enough.

I expect 1 late FA acquisition, maybe just before or else well after the draft.

A couple of weaknesses should be patched up in the draft.
                        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

I concur wood. Draft will fill a few holes then TT will fill out roster with a late FA signing or 2.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X