Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Chargers and City new stadium talks

CommentsThe Chargers and new mayor Kevin Faulconer have moved closer to discussing a new stadium project, reports ESPN's Eric D. Williams.

Faulconer said he wants to keep the Chargers in San Diego, but will not do so at the taxpayers' expense.

"The Chargers are incredibly important to the city and the region," Faulconer said. "I firmly believe that it's incumbent for everyone to work together. My main priority is going to be ensuring that any proposal that moves forward protects us as taxpayers here in San Diego. That will be my guiding principle. But I'm confident that we can achieve that."

Williams reports of "preliminary conversations" on the Chargers' new stadium proposal between the mayor's office and representatives of the Chargers.

Ultimately, the new mayor will join the conversation.

"We're certainly going to be beginning the dialogue soon," Faulconer said. "Ultimately, it's one that I'm convinced that has to involve the greater San Diego community. And I look forward to playing a role in that.

"When you look at the success that Petco Park has had in the community, the opportunity for a new stadium has to be an entire package that makes sense for San Diego. That's my job as mayor."

The Chargers' propose a $800 to $900 million, football-only facility east of Petco Park.

The stadium would seat as many as 70,000 for Super Bowls.

According to Williams, selling off the parcels of land at the Qualcomm Stadium and Sports Arena sites "could generate the city's financial contribution to the project without raising taxes, along with creating new tax revenue from the development of the land."

It is not clear whether the mayor's office considers that a financially accurate projection.

San Diego council president Todd Gloria represents the district where the stadium would be built in East Village.

"My sort of refrain has been where do you want to go? What it's going to cost? And how are you going to pay for it?" Gloria told ESPN, when asked about the Chargers plan for a new stadium. "It's three simple questions, but they're big ones, right?

"Their decades-worth of work has taken them to East Village, in my council district. And there are a variety of reasons why they got there. So I think the question now becomes how much does it cost, and how are you going to pay for it? When you have those things answered, then I think, like with these other big projects, they sink or swim based on the merits of the project."
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Finally maybe a mayor with some fucking balls. Jerry Sanders is a PUSSY.

Comment

• Kyle
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

What the hell is going on down there with city politics all these years? Recalls, controversy. At least now they're talking and hopefully it's the start of something good.
      sigpic

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I voted for Faulconer because he seemed like the guy most likely to work with the Chargers. I hope that notion proves to be a correct one.

Comment

• rikardo
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Get the Padres out of town and rebuld Pet Co for a football stadium at a lower cost than a new one from cero.
          The Padres will never win a championship at least the Chargers have a chance...

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
            Get the Padres out of town and rebuld Pet Co for a football stadium at a lower cost than a new one from cero.
            they tried that formula at the current location- and it wasn't even 1 year before Alex Spanos decided they needed a NEW stadium, not rebuilt. I can't see it working downtown either and who says it would cost less to convert to a 70,000 seat football stadium (is the footprint even big enough) than build new?

Also, to get ANY support from business community and voters it needs to attract people to downtown to spend $ as much as possible. Padres play 80+ home games now bringing people downtown while Chargers + Aztecs combined even with playoffs & bowls would be less than 40.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Downtown won't work without a lot to party in. Ain't gonna happen there.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

The Padres have been just as close to a championship as the Chargers. I wouldn't want the Pads to leave anymore than I'd want the Chargers to leave. In the end, just like always, rich guys will decide the best way for themselves to get even richer. It doesn't matter what we think.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  Downtown won't work without a lot to party in. Ain't gonna happen there.
                  That is the one thing that SUCKS about a downtown location and I will have to think long and hard about whether or not it's worth getting tickets for a stadium down there. It's a further drive (more than 50% of the population in SD County lives north of 52) and tailgating is a huge part of the enjoyment of owning season tickets. If I have to pony up money to eat and drink in a restaurant before each game, well, not likely to happen...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Well that was just a dumb statement.

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      It's a further drive (more than 50% of the population in SD County lives north of 52) a
                      Those five extra minutes aren't going to kill you. It's a straight shot down the 163. Plus there's a parking lot next to the current Petco Stadium you can use to party in.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                        Those five extra minutes aren't going to kill you. It's a straight shot down the 163. Plus there's a parking lot next to the current Petco Stadium you can use to party in.
                        Yeah boo hoo for those north of the 52.....please correct if wrong but won't 100% of those south of the 52 shoulder the tax burden of any San Diego city stadium plan and construction?
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                        X