• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    At this point, why are we still worried about this.

As far as salary cap goes, there is no player we are going to find right now, who is worth signing for that type of money. Maybe there will be later, but remember, just about anyone out there will be damaged goods to some degree. Either bad attitudes or aging vets. So, why are we worried about adding salary cap space that we probably aren't going to be able to spend?

As far as the future, Clary isn't going to get as much now that he has moved to OG. SO we will still have a chance to resign him, now that he is playing well. Whether we want to, because some of our interior OL are getting a bit on the older side (Clary and Hardwick are both over 30), is another issue.

The two players who are probably most on the bubble right now are Troutman, who was inconsistent and Ohrnberger. Watt has the hallmarks of being the type of swing OG/C type that a lot of us wanted prior to the draft. Generally speaking, teams tend to like their OG to be somewhat more athletic, and Watt isn't tremendously athletic (that is not to say he isn't a good player). And they tend to value versatility, so I think they are fine with the idea that he has a chance at C, and may take their time to develop him.

Troutman's problem may just be that he is not the guy the current front office picked. I don't know if any of us knows much about him, but Troutman has struck me as being OK on intelligence, just probably not the kind of fast thinker that the Chargers tend to like. Watt strikes me as more of that kind. And while I like the porkchop tweets, they may be looking for a guy who can think a bit quicker. In that case, Ohrnberger (who also seems pretty bright), and Watt could both backup C and OG.
    There is not much doubt that Clary is overpaid, but it makes no sense to cut him unless we are going to add someone of value with the money picked up by releasing him.

At this point, I think it makes the most sense to let the coaches see the players and evaluate our needs from there. On paper, it looks like we might be light at WR with the uncertainty of Floyd, the injury prone nature of Royal, the subpar play from Brown and a bunch of unknown/unproven players.

If, after some evaluation, it is decided that we are weak at WR, then it may make some sense to consider making a run at a proven veteran like Santonio Holmes. His off the field baggage, recent injury history and the general suckage of all Jets QBs might keep the price for Holmes down just enough for us to scoop him up. I think he is potentially a good fit for our offense.

However, if we are going to use Clary's money to pay for him, then we also have to be sure that we are solid enough at OG to protect Rivers without Clary. If we are not, then I think we all have seen that we cannot sacrifice protecting Rivers, even if it is to pick up a skill position player, as that is likely to prevent Rivers, the team's #1 weapon, from succeeding if prior history is any indication.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      You guys must've seen it at the Drive In
      Or with Meatloaf

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by booze and dope View Post
        You are basing your argument on Clary being a mentor and crediting him with the development of fluker is a completely insane claim.
        Um, no. I make the claim primarily based on performance. I think Clary is a very good OG. And he is tough and rarely misses time due to injury. I think he should be extended based on that. That is my opinion.

I do not believe he is in danger of being cut or will be asked to take a pay cut, based on what the team and the media says about him.

But the post that seems to have gotten your delicate panties in a twist was in response to the idea that the Clary situation is analogous to the Freeney or Royal situations. Unlike Clary, those two have missed significant portions of their contracted time, so one might be justified in feeling that asking them to take a pay cut is not unreasonable. Clary is in a different situation, and it seems only a fan perception that he is not good or earning too much that fuels these discussions about his contract.

I won't address your ad hominem comments rather than to point out I found them rather amusing. But please, if you're going to insult me, try to be a little more creative.

:finger:
        Last edited by Panama; 05-22-2014, 02:58 AM.
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          it may make some sense to consider making a run at a proven veteran like Santonio Holmes.
          Um, no thanks.
          Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

This article (Albeit its B/R) seems to indicate that Clary was asked to take a cut and declined.

The moment San Diego made the decision to draft a guard in the third round of May's draft, the clock began ticking on Jeromey Clary's future with the team.

Chris Watt, who played mostly left guard at Notre Dame, practiced at right guard in his first practice with the Chargers, according to Tom Krasovic of U-T San Diego. As Watt put it, "It was a little different, but I was able to pick up on it, I felt like, pretty good."

"Pretty good" won't earn Watt the starting job, but it's enough for concern on the part of Clary, who is entering the final year of a contract some people may consider a bit overpriced.

Despite three other veterans opting to restructure their contracts in the offseason to save the team money (Eddie Royal, Jarret Johnson and Dwight Freeney), Clary did not oblige. Watt is not only cheaper for San Diego, but he may also be the more skilled of the two given his natural feel for the position. Clary is a converted tackle with only a year at guard under his belt.

At least five veterans have been put on notice this offseason by the San Diego Chargers . Following the conclusion of the draft, a large contingent of rookies were added to the roster to compete for a job in 2014...
            sigpic

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
              This article (Albeit its B/R) seems to indicate that Clary was asked to take a cut and declined.

The moment San Diego made the decision to draft a guard in the third round of May's draft, the clock began ticking on Jeromey Clary's future with the team.

Chris Watt, who played mostly left guard at Notre Dame, practiced at right guard in his first practice with the Chargers, according to Tom Krasovic of U-T San Diego. As Watt put it, "It was a little different, but I was able to pick up on it, I felt like, pretty good."

"Pretty good" won't earn Watt the starting job, but it's enough for concern on the part of Clary, who is entering the final year of a contract some people may consider a bit overpriced.

Despite three other veterans opting to restructure their contracts in the offseason to save the team money (Eddie Royal, Jarret Johnson and Dwight Freeney), Clary did not oblige. Watt is not only cheaper for San Diego, but he may also be the more skilled of the two given his natural feel for the position. Clary is a converted tackle with only a year at guard under his belt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...this-offseason
              Yeah, that seems a bit dubious reporting to me. Sounds like they're shit-stirring by saying, "Clary did not oblige." No, Clary has not taken a paycut. But I have seen no indication (other than this rather vague sentence) suggesting he may have been asked, which, you're right, is what B/R seems to imply. (Do they have reliable inside sources? Everything from the UT seems to suggest it's not likely to happen.) If we learn later that he was asked to do so and refused, I will admit I was wrong.
              Adipose

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I thought Telesco said in one of his 1090 interviews that Clary had not been asked? The reason I kinda think that was it was not only surprising, but didn't it seem like it sparked some debate that Clary might get cut afterall, since you wouldn't ask someone who was about to get cut?
                Last edited by Steve; 05-22-2014, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  I won't address your ad hominem comments rather than to point out I found them rather amusing. But please, if you're going to insult me, try to be a little more creative.

:finger:
                  Yeah, the insane thing has been way over done...
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Is anyone keeping track of the injuries that were only disclosed after the season?
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                        Yeah, the insane thing has been way over done...
                        Take away insane and you erase my favorite rap group from the membrane.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          Is anyone keeping track of the injuries that were only disclosed after the season?
                          It probably wasn't disclosed to not tip our hand in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X