• Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    I'd say the top 3 questions were asked.

NT?
    CB?
    WR?

Were they answered?
    I'm thinking he just doesn't have any 'inside' information...at least none that he chooses to share. I guess your point is he didn't say anything that we didn't already know? If that's how you feel, I agree with you. Which is why I said there was nothing to say. He just doesn't know.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      I'm thinking he just doesn't have any 'inside' information...at least none that he chooses to share. I guess your point is he didn't say anything that we didn't already know? If that's how you feel, I agree with you. Which is why I said there was nothing to say. He just doesn't know.
      Agreed.

The Chargers beat writer knows little more than the casual fan
      Last edited by oneinchpunch; 03-24-2014, 10:25 PM.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I'd say the top 3 questions were asked.

NT?
        CB?
        WR?

Were they answered?
        Which answer didnt you like?

Looked to me that he said CB will be drafted as well as NT since they tried and failed to sign Mitchell. Floyd very well may never play again and that would free up some cap space if he retires and with or without him, they should draft a WR.

What exactly did you want him to say that would satisfy you?
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-24-2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

At least he made an honest attempt to answer questions without over speculating or making it about himself - Acee logo: - and when he didnt know he said so - Refreshing Change logo: - more than I've come to expect lately.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

my point.

What did he say that was news to you?
            If we didn't follow the Chargers as closely as we do, we could consider a lot of what he said news. For example, he stated repeatedly that the Chargers had no interest in any FA CB (including Verner) but had plans to make a big investment at CB in the draft. He said the team thinks more highly of Lissemore than people outside the organization, all but saying Lissemore will be our starting NT next season. He said MF and DA are unlikely to be back next season, as much as the team may like them. He said the team will not sign a FB or draft a QB. And so on. Again, this may not be news for us, but for a casual fan there is quite a bit in there. But if you wanted hard facts about hotdog prices, you might have to wait until you're next at the Murph.
            Last edited by Panama; 03-25-2014, 03:23 AM.
            Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

If there isn't an agenda, or some innuendo and double talk some people aren't happy. Perhaps a heavy dose journalistic sarcasm and criticism would pacify the villagers? "TT won't tell me anything and MM is in over his head!"

ldmarine:
              sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

well, he did open the session with this: "11:01 Michael Gehlken: Welcome to this week's chat. I'm here to take your questions, Chargers-based or otherwise. The first couple waves of free agency are done. Things are more quiet now. Mike McCoy and team executives are currently in Orlando for annual league owner meetings. Back home, the Chargers' primary focus is the May draft. Let's get started."

so FA is done, things are quiet, Head Coach and team execs are out of town and they are focused on draft. Given there is nobody home at the fortress and they aren't going to telegraph their draft strategy- not sure why anyone here would expect startling new revelations. At least Gehlk is keeping in touch with fans and recapping what (he thinks) he does know of their plans. I still remember when I wrote an email to the SDUT about 15 years ago complaining of NO offseason Chargers coverage in the paper at all despite FA, upcoming draft, etc. and got back a shitty response "NOBODY cares about football until Training Camp starts at UCSD" and it was baseball season for coverage.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  If we didn't follow the Chargers as closely as we do, we could consider a lot of what he said news. For example, he stated repeatedly that the Chargers had no interest in any FA CB (including Verner) but had plans to make a big investment at CB in the draft. He said the team thinks more highly of Lissemore than people outside the organization, all but saying Lissemore will be our starting NT next season. He said MF and DA are unlikely to be back next season, as much as the team may like them. He said the team will not sign a FB or draft a QB. And so on. Again, this may not be news for us, but for a casual fan there is quite a bit in there. But if you wanted hard facts about hotdog prices, you might have to wait until you're next at the Murph.

yep. also no trade ups, they wouldn't be carrying/using a FB, were set up to be run-heavy but still need a speed WR and probably would take an OL somewhere to groom, Taylor would get a look to compete but Addae was favored at S. I think TT has us perfectly positioned to go BPA in the draft and still end up with quality contributers at WR, CB, OL and possibly edge rusher and DT if they are there when we pick.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Seems he was pretty clear in saying defense was most likely the emphasis with the top two picks. Not exactly eath-shattering given whats discussed on this board everyday, but then I'd hardly call this group 'casual fans.'

Its odd, because as I read through the transcript my thought was how much I think Ghelken has improved in both volume/quality of substance and confident tone from when he first started and I felt he was too green to deserve the beat.

But let's be honest. OIP is a serial contrarian and shit-stirrer. He's not happy unless he's unhappy and doing his tired, snarky, tired, expert-on-everything, tired schtick.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Teams just aren't going to give anything away at this point. All they care about is winning, so the will play everything close to the vest every year.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

He said that he thought a corner would be drafted...which we all thought, but he seemed pretty confident about it.
                        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

I enjoyed the piece. And it as good to hear about Freeney's recovery.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X