• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Thunder
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Arlington, TX
    • Send PM

He is a beast and he fits very well in the Chargers offense. I think that in an ideal world, all of us would like to have him starting at RB for us for all of 2019. I am a fan of Melvin Gordon, the player.

However, he plays a position that is more easily replaceable than most and has a shorter shelf life than most. Couple that with the facts that we have some talented guys waiting in the wings that are under much more affordable contracts AND that we have some big contracts coming up at harder to replace positions and you end up with someone who deserves to be paid more that is in a position where it doesn't make financial sense for his current employer to do so. It is, after all, a business.

Throw in the fact that he has been injured frequently (off and on) and has had microfracture surgery in the past and that the way that he (his agent) made this public by issuing an ultimatum and I think it's time to part with Melvin and move on. Sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
      He is a beast and he fits very well in the Chargers offense. I think that in an ideal world, all of us would like to have him starting at RB for us for all of 2019. I am a fan of Melvin Gordon, the player.

However, he plays a position that is more easily replaceable than most and has a shorter shelf life than most. Couple that with the facts that we have some talented guys waiting in the wings that are under much more affordable contracts AND that we have some big contracts coming up at harder to replace positions and you end up with someone who deserves to be paid more that is in a position where it doesn't make financial sense for his current employer to do so. It is, after all, a business.

Throw in the fact that he has been injured frequently (off and on) and has had microfracture surgery in the past and that the way that he (his agent) made this public by issuing an ultimatum and I think it's time to part with Melvin and move on. Sooner rather than later.
      I think this is all true fact, but hope that MG comes to see the reality and ends his holdout before it's too late and plays out his contract this season.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

BS. We don't need to be worried about caving or setting a precedent.

And I think most y'all are insane. This is a super bowl window that slams shut if you don't pay the guy. We don't know how long Rivers has left but we know it's not long. Why any of you worried about the potential of him not playing out his contract or having dead cap space or just having too much cap space in RB....we are talking about a chance at a Super Bowl and we have never one won ever before if you didn't know. Take off your salary cap nerd hats, drop your jealousy that the guy makes a lot of money, stop worrying about a guy who's earned his trying to get his, take a deep breath and stop freaking out. I think this gets done and there's really nothing to see here other than once again management dragging their feet getting a contract done trying to get the best deal.
        You're right, I'm a jealous, worried nerd freaking out!
        I should just be a fan that's content to complain about management "dragging feet".

Save this post for next year when we're talking about Bosa
        then save it again for the next year when we're talking about mike Williams
        our cap will be completely destroyed by then and watching our guys win championships in New England

But at least MG will get the money he deserves.
        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

I love it when the "Disrespect" shit talk starts to fly from the agents pie-holes. What a bunch of turds these guys seem to be. The only reason they are pursuing Gordon's "best interest" is for the percentage they get. What ever is in the best interest of their percentage is what they are going to tell Gordon to do. Turds in wing-tips is all......

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'd rather lose Gordon than a starting OL. Just saying.

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Mars
              • Ball Holder
              • Send PM

I think most y'all are insane.
              Slam dunk!

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Slam dunk!
                Lol.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

At 5.6 millions, Gordon is the 11h best paid of RBs in the NFL.
                  LT think he is the 5th best.
                  I think he is 7th, 8th or 9th.
                  Play your last year's contract and prove you deserve better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    I'd rather lose Gordon than a starting OL. Just saying.
                    Even Schofield ?

You have gone over to the dark side.

:shifty:
                    Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

BS. We don't need to be worried about caving or setting a precedent.

And I think most y'all are insane. This is a super bowl window that slams shut if you don't pay the guy. We don't know how long Rivers has left but we know it's not long. Why any of you worried about the potential of him not playing out his contract or having dead cap space or just having too much cap space in RB....we are talking about a chance at a Super Bowl and we have never one won ever before if you didn't know. Take off your salary cap nerd hats, drop your jealousy that the guy makes a lot of money, stop worrying about a guy who's earned his trying to get his, take a deep breath and stop freaking out. I think this gets done and there's really nothing to see here other than once again management dragging their feet getting a contract done trying to get the best deal.
                      Just curious, why can'y Rivers make it through another contract? The examples are out there and with modern medicine and training he could go another 4 seasons.

Gordon has earned a contract and the team just has to find some middle ground with him.
                      If he has one year left at five million I think Telesco could add three more years at $12M per season. That comes out to 4years $41M. From that 41, $15M is upfront bonus. Sounds reasonable for both sides. That way he honors his last year of the rookie deal and is guaranteed money going forward. Not a huge risk for the team as he will only be 30yrs old at the completion.

I think this you play your contract talk is bullcrap, teams cut players under contract every year. I don't like it but he has leverage and would be stupid not to use it.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Sounds like the team offered $8, and they want $10 or so. Just guessing..

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Don't forget Fred Dean
                          Jim Lachey was grousing about his salary. Sent the ingrate to Washington via Oakland.

Comment

Working...
                          X