• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Just switch the names around in the above post. The knocks on MG III are similar. We won without MG III in 4 games last year and we won without Bosa last year. Bosa needs a better DL? MG III needs a better oline. Both have great hands
    Yeah you could do that. I guess what im saying is that if we have to keep one im going with the player thats harder to replace via the draft. I just think based on the numbers its easier to replace Melvin. Now if he were LT? Thats different. But LT has had his limitations as well. If we use a 3rd overall on a player and let him walk after his first contract...especially if hes a really good player ill be a lot more pissed than if we let a RB walk. I do think think the skys the limit for Bosa. He has come in from the start and produced at a high level. Its taken Gordon some time. Both are key components to our team obviously. But its going to be hard to keep Rivers, Bosa and Gordon.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

What problem did the Rams have?
      Rams had Gurley & Donald threatening to hold out last year.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Tyrod Taylor is getting $5.5m to hold a clipboard.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Rams had Gurley & Donald threatening to hold out last year.
          And they paid up partially because they don't have a qB commanding such a large piece of the cap. Also got to the super bowl. You call it caving and the Chargers sound business people? I call it winning

Comment

• SDBORN
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Tyrod Taylor is getting $5.5m to hold a clipboard.
            Still hate that pickup. I know
            ​many will disagree with me, but i see it as a total waste.
            Last edited by SDBORN; 07-12-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              According to BFTB, Gordon is asking for between $13-15 million a year. Wow, just...wow:

Melvin Gordon is already paid fairly

Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon is without question one of the National Football League's very best at his position. Last season, he rushed for 885 yards on 175 rush attempts. He was ranked 5th in DYAR behind only Todd Gurley, Derrick Henry, Alvin Kamara, and Marlon Mack. He finished 3rd in DVOA behind only Gurley and Henry. He has become what the Chargers hoped he would when they traded up to the 15th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft to select him.

Gordon says he wants to be paid what he is worth. Sports Illustrated reported that he would be willing to sit out an entire season if the team was unwilling to meet his demands. He is currently being paid $5.6 million for the 2019 season (the last remaining year of his rookie deal).

Reports say that what he thinks he is worth is a multi-year deal with an average annual value in the range of $13-15 million. For those familiar with the value of running backs in the modern NFL, that figure is laughable. Running backs, even great ones, are easily replaceable.

Last season, in games without Gordon, the Chargers were still perfectly capable while relying on late-round draft picks, Justin Jackson, and undrafted free agent, Austin Ekeler. Against the Pittsburgh Steelers, they combined for 125 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown. Against the Bengals, they put up 129 yards from scrimmage and another score. The following week, they were also without the services of Austin Ekeler, so another undrafted free agent, Detrez Newsome, took his place. He and Jackson combined for 139 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown against the Chiefs.

The Chargers are better with Gordon than they are without him. Of course, they are. Nobody with half a brain would suggest otherwise after watching the 2018 season. That said, they are not that much worse without him.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...dy-paid-fairly
              If he's honestly looking for $13M, send him to Buffalo for a 2nd & a bucket of wings. Good grief.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

I hope we play hardball with MG
                precedent is most important for me
                roll with RBBC Ekeler/Jackson/Newsome/Cox whatever
                we'll get a good idea of what our rb situation looks like going into next years draft
                if we can't contend for 10 weeks with that group, I don't know how much of a difference a MG is going to make.
                meanwhile, fine MG every penny you can until he shows up week 10.
                run him like a dog to give our RBBC a good rest before a playoff push
                MG will be motivated to show his skills before hitting FA next season-- if he shows up as an elite back--F tag him and repeat. If he thinks it's smart to play it safe and not run hard then he's really not smart.
                bottom line is that Telesco has done a good job of standing his ground, so let it be known that if you're a Charger, expect to fulfill your contract
                Darius "4.36" Davis
                top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 3

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Still hate that pickup. I know
                  ​many will disagree with me, but i see it as a total waste.
                  Can Taylor play RB?
                  Green text
                  Darius "4.36" Davis
                  top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 3

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

just when i think things are going great for my team

sigh Melvin.....why now? If the team pays they lose, if they dont pay they lose. SIGH

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Thanks for the info on what Gordon is asking. It makes it that much easier for me to show him the door. $13-15 million per year? That's a lot of peanuts for a guy who only showed one year out of three.

Counter offer...$8 million a year for 4 years. $32 million package with bounuses. YOU ONLY SHOWED UP LAST YEAR. Your other years were totally meh getting to 857 yards, 10 touchdowns. Doesn't sound to me like $13 million locked in for 4 years. Can you bring that down some, Melvin?

Anyone know a team desperate enough to pay that kind of money for one year man? Whatever NFL city he lands in, it seems to me that he will be carrying prima donna luggage and expect it to be picked up at the airport, Gee, what a locker room type a guy.

As an athlete, I admire your sudden potential to go over 1000 yards that you haven't gotten yet,. As a PR guy, you're acting somewhat suspect.

You don't want to become a David Boston, do you?

Believe it or not, some players enter the NFL just to screw with the man or show their ego. Rightfully so, maybe. Take that!
                      Last edited by Caslon; 07-13-2019, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Steelers didn't make the playoffs last year. It was a horrible season by their standards. You hear about how Conners was nearly as effective as Bell - i'm not buying it.
                        Yeah, their rb production was the reason they missed the playoffs..hahaha. It couldn't have been the huge dysfunction and split in the locker room and glaring defensive woes. Not sure what you are not buying. Production is production.

12 GS

215 att 973 yds 12td 4.5 avg rushing
                        55 rec 497 yds 1td receiving

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                          Pretty much retired......
                          • Sep 2018
                          • JoJa
                          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

If he's honestly looking for $13M, send him to Buffalo for a 2nd & a bucket of wings. Good grief.

I'm all for it....but no sissy "lemon pepper" flavor......I want 3 Mile Island hot.......

Comment

Working...
                          X