• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

It may be a bit of the defence reading our tendencies with Brown and Oliver since game three. I'd love to see some I formation and other non shotgun formations involved in the run and passing game.

Rivers reads a d well, but still needs to be able to read the d without the perspective a shotgun formation offers.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The play action works BEST with the QB under the Center...
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• homeless simpson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Donald Brown, John Phillips and David Johnson all brought in to help improve the blocking and running game..............

Comment

• Sec-E4
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2014
          • Arizona
          • Send PM

Has John Phillips been active ? Or is he on the PS ? I also haven't seen Johnson out there...Or atleast I can't remember the last time I saw him on the field

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
            I been wondering a few things about "The Donald"

When he was in Indy, Did they use a Fullback? Also what type of scheme did these normally use for running plays over there?

The shotgun draws aren't The Donald's bread and butter, It's seems he's not the type of back that can explode for a nice run from 6-7 yards back. Would an I-Form running play w/ David Johnson as a Fullback work out better for him? I know certain schemes and formations can make a good/great player look as if he has lost all his skills (EG: Johnathon Vilma playing under par w/ the Jets and then heading over to the Saints and getting back to his Pro-Bowl self)

The Donald simply didn't lose his mojo over a summer, So what gives?? Is it as simple as fixing our O-Line problems ?
            Actually, that's precisely what he ran at Indy. When Manning was there, they primarily ran stretch plays out of the shotgun. Brown wasn't a world-beater, but he did alright, particularly his last season there. He actually is well suited to our system *as a complementary back*, but our OL has been awful at times, and all our backs have been affected by that at one point or another.
            Adipose

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
              Has John Phillips been active ? Or is he on the PS ? I also haven't seen Johnson out there...Or atleast I can't remember the last time I saw him on the field
              Phillips has been active and gets a couple of snaps per game. Johnson, I just don't get him... He was dominant in the preseason and then laid an egg as soon as the season started. He's been a healthy inactive a lot recently.
              Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                Phillips has been active and gets a couple of snaps per game. Johnson, I just don't get him... He was dominant in the preseason and then laid an egg as soon as the season started. He's been a healthy inactive a lot recently.
                when your designated "Blocking TEs" who have to serve as FB too in Johnson's case are inactive or barely active- doesn't that say we have a pass first mentality going into those games? Seems to me the commitment to making the running game work is only lip service and they still think they can use the short passing game to move the chains instead of a running game. The inactives list may also be a tell for other teams that we plan to pass more when our biggest blockers are on it and the teams can then basically disregard our run threat and emphasize tighter coverages and more pass rush.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                  Bump! to the peeps that thought Donald would be a major upgrade over Ronnie (myself included), have your expectations been met?
                  I'm sad to say.. "No they have not been met."
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Arizona
                    • Send PM

Seems like Mathews has gotten use to working with a crappy O-Line and has made adjustments to make it work out for him...Brown and Oliver need to find a way to make it work. McCoy and his coaching staff have got to focus on the run game for this last stretch. The Broncos have been forced to run because Manning is acting very weird right now, He's either hurt or his battered body is catching up to him.

The staff seemed to have focused and game planned for a good running scheme Vs the Jets and it worked really good Vs a good run defense. That's probably the last game where we owned the running game all game long, And came out unscathed.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Donald Brown could see expanded role
                      December, 11, 2014

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO – Third-down running back Donald Brown could see an expanded role for the San Diego Chargers on Sunday against the Denver Broncos. Ryan Mathews has not practiced this week because of a right ankle injury and his status for the game is in question.

While hopeful Mathews makes a healthy return back to the field this week, Brown's ready for whatever the team has in store for him.

With Mathews returning to the role as San Diego’s every-down back after missing seven games with an MCL knee sprain in Week 10, most of Brown’s opportunities to make an impact have come on third down and the two-minute offense.

“Any role I’m thrown into I have to perform and execute,” Brown said. “Lately it’s been third
                      down and two-minute, so that’s what I do.”

But with Mathews nursing an ankle injury, Brown could see time as the team’s every-down back against the Broncos on Sunday. Signed to a three-year, $10.5 million deal in the offseason, including $4 million in guaranteed money, Brown has not flashed the type of playmaking ability expected as a member of San Diego’s three-headed monster that included him, Mathews and Danny Woodhead.

Brown missed three games due to a concussion. And in 10 games played, Brown has 154 yards on 66 carries for a pedestrian, 2.3 yards per carry. Brown also has 23 receptions for 161 yards. He has not scored since last season and his longest run is 16 yards. He’s played an average of 19 plays a game for the past five games.

Brown’s numbers do not measure up to last season, when he rushed for 553 yards and scored eight total touchdowns with the Indianapolis Colts. He averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

Chargers offensive coordinator Franck Reich says that Brown is a smart player that he trusts to do the right thing on the field. He believes that Brown could still have a similar-type impact as he did with the Colts if given more opportunities in San Diego.

“I saw Donald make a lot of explosive plays when we were together in Indy -- more than his share,” Reich said. “I think he has the speed and the power to do that. He hasn’t gotten the bulk of the carries. With a back it’s all about getting some rhythm carrying the football. So in his defense, he hasn’t had a big load of carries.”

Brown understands that he can play better.

“It’s been some good, some bad and some in between,” he said. “So you have to learn from the bad, build on the good and keep moving forward.”

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

He needs to run from the I formation or Single back and have consistent run blocking so he can hit the hole with confidence.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• thelightningwill
                          Go Aztecs and Pads
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Donald Brown could see expanded role
                          December, 11, 2014

By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO – Third-down running back Donald Brown could see an expanded role for the San Diego Chargers on Sunday against the Denver Broncos. Ryan Mathews has not practiced this week because of a right ankle injury and his status for the game is in question.

While hopeful Mathews makes a healthy return back to the field this week, Brown's ready for whatever the team has in store for him.

With Mathews returning to the role as San Diego’s every-down back after missing seven games with an MCL knee sprain in Week 10, most of Brown’s opportunities to make an impact have come on third down and the two-minute offense.

“Any role I’m thrown into I have to perform and execute,” Brown said. “Lately it’s been third
                          down and two-minute, so that’s what I do.”

But with Mathews nursing an ankle injury, Brown could see time as the team’s every-down back against the Broncos on Sunday. Signed to a three-year, $10.5 million deal in the offseason, including $4 million in guaranteed money, Brown has not flashed the type of playmaking ability expected as a member of San Diego’s three-headed monster that included him, Mathews and Danny Woodhead.

Brown missed three games due to a concussion. And in 10 games played, Brown has 154 yards on 66 carries for a pedestrian, 2.3 yards per carry. Brown also has 23 receptions for 161 yards. He has not scored since last season and his longest run is 16 yards. He’s played an average of 19 plays a game for the past five games.

Brown’s numbers do not measure up to last season, when he rushed for 553 yards and scored eight total touchdowns with the Indianapolis Colts. He averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

Chargers offensive coordinator Franck Reich says that Brown is a smart player that he trusts to do the right thing on the field. He believes that Brown could still have a similar-type impact as he did with the Colts if given more opportunities in San Diego.

“I saw Donald make a lot of explosive plays when we were together in Indy -- more than his share,” Reich said. “I think he has the speed and the power to do that. He hasn’t gotten the bulk of the carries. With a back it’s all about getting some rhythm carrying the football. So in his defense, he hasn’t had a big load of carries.”

Brown understands that he can play better.

“It’s been some good, some bad and some in between,” he said. “So you have to learn from the bad, build on the good and keep moving forward.”
                          Why does the team like Donald Brown over Branden Oliver? I'm obviously missing something.

Comment

Working...
                          X