Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
    We were way worse last year than we were in 2012. We went from 5th to 27th in YPC against (3.8 yards per carry against to 4.6 yards per carry against). We went from 12th in YPA against to 30th in YPA against (from 6.9 YPA against to 8.0 YPA against). To give you an idea of just how big of a drop off that is, please note that only Chicago had a bigger drop off in either run defense or pass defense, actually falling even further in both categories than we did. We had the second biggest drop off in performance in each category individually.

Our points allowed were virtually identical for the two seasons (within two points of each other), but this is due to the difference in the two offenses. The 2012 offense was awful. It gave up 5 more turnovers than the 2013 offense. And we all know that the 2013 offense was right at the top in terms of time of possession. Basically, the 2012 offense was an anchor that dragged down the 2012 defense, while the 2013 offense was the broad shoulders that carried the 2013 defense and the 2013 defense was still statistically much worse in most categories.

Also, the 2012 defense had 11 more takeaways than the 2013 defense did and it turned a bunch of them into TDs, so the 2012 defense was the much better net scoring defense.

We did lose to the Raiders by 10, but being in games was due to the comparatively much better ball controlling and fewer mistakes making offense more so than the defense. The defense was awful last year.
    You keep blindly stating that, but there is no association between how many points NFL teams give up and yard per carry. I did the math, yet you keep stating it like it is fact. You are probably correct that if you are as bad as Chicago, it makes a difference. But the only stat that really counts on D is points allowed, and that is a fact.

There is a limit to what we can do for the turnovers. We lost to the Raiders because we had 5 turnovers (3 int and 2 lost fumbles- 1 TD by Woodson), yet still late in the game, we were still in it. You can almost consider it 6, because we went for it on 4th down and didn't convert in the early 2nd quarter and got no points on the 1 yard line. It was a classic field position game We lost because we moved the ball more, but didn't score, and we didn't allow Oakland to drive much, but when they did they were in a better position to take advantage of it. It also is worth noting that we held them to 3.7 ypc, since you seem to blindly put so much faith in that stat.

Again, you point that we gave up nearly exactly the same # of points in both seasons. So, doesn't that suggest what I have been saying all along? That yards per carry doesn't matter as much as the yards we give up through the air. That it is how the rest of the team performs is just as important in determining if we are going to win or lose, not just our run D. You seem fixated on having a dominant run D, when that doesn't matter like it used to.

If you run the stats for points allowed, there is no correlation between YPC, a weak but similar correlation for YPA and YPP. So, running D doesn't matter nearly as much as passing D.

And you keep stating how awful our D was last year, but they were not universally awful. They were up and down. Again, late in the season, they played as well as any D in football despite not having a pass rush. If there is one thing to fixate on, it is probably that our pass D is going to have a hard time sustaining success without one, which is why I think tying up resources in NT is a waste. Sure, it would be nice to have a better run D, but not at the expense of other positions, especially pass rush. We need to keep some of those resources (especially cap space) so that when we can get a pass rusher or two or three, we have the resources to take advantage of it.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Yubaking;75198]
      Soliai is good to very good as a NT. You and Bill Polian can think whatever you want. Soliai is widely considered as an upper echelon free agent among all free agents. That's not going to happen if a guy is washed up tub of goo that spends whole halves just leaning on people. Your anti-Soliai bias is unbelievable.
      You should actually watch him play. He is not the player he used to be. He is done. I did go back and watch him on NFL rewind.

If we had Dontari Poe, I wouldn't play Reyes at all except to give rest to Liuget or Lissemore and on some third and long situations. I think a good NT could potentially eat into some of Reyes' 4-3 DT snaps. Reyes is not exactly the be all end all of pass rushers, so I would be happy to sacrifice a (very) little pass rush to prevent disguised running plays from turning 2nd and long into third and short. At third and long, then I think it would be okay for Reyes to play.
      YOu are right, if we had Poe, this would be a different discussion, but we don't. And while you wouldn't play him, Pagano makes those decisions and he does play Reyes. Again, he is the tale of two seasons. When he stops running around blocks and takes them on, our D is much better. The run D is better, our pass rush is better. So, that tells me that getting Reyes to play more consistently is one of the keys to our season. The same applies to liuget, although he seems to still make some plays even when he runs around blocks, so is less of a liability when we played bad (and more of a asset when he isn't).

Royal is miscast as an outside WR. His catch radius is very small. He is a pure slot guy. And I never said that Jacoby Jones was a slot guy. That's just dumb. I said Jones would serve as a potential Floyd replacement, which obviously means an outside WR. I said that I would advocate drafting a guy like Herron, who is a slot guy, to replace Royal. I think our system made Royal, not the other way around, so I disagree with the notion that Royal is not very replaceable. I think he is very replaceable.
      In the previous point you had Jacoby Jones in the same sentence, and you didn't say anything about how he was to be used, which makes it fucking hard to follow you dumb ass statements as it is.

Again, watch the games when he has played outside for the Chargers. He is at his best in the slot, but has made a lot of big catches outside as well. Again, I think too much is made of where we played people last year. When we go bunch, their mix and match the routes, so defenses don't know who is doing what. All of our WR run the "inside" routes. All of them run the "outside" routes. They mix and match the routes so that defenders can't jump the routes on the release.

I also think Brown can play some in the slot, but understand that Brown has had separation issues no matter where he plays. If Floyd returns, we would have 6 if we re-signed Ajirotutu. If Floyd does not return, we can draft a guy like L'Damian Washington in round 6-7 of the draft and develop him. We would have Allen, Jones, Herron, Brown and Ajirotutu in front of him.
      see above

Multiple sources (not just PFF) have Schwartz as a top or one of the top FA guards available. Again, you are by yourself in yet another player evaluation. Schwartz is better than Clary right now by a mile. Clary is very arguably our worst starter on either side of the ball with Reyes being a close second. The difference is that Reyes has shown flashes of great play and there is hope for significant additional development. The same cannot be said for Clary. Unfortunately, the issue is not that nobody sees that Schwartz has emerged as a very good player, but rather that everybody now sees it (except you), which may elevate Schwartz's price range higher than I had first imagined.
      Other people are talking about Schwartz because of what PFF is saying, not because they watch him play. Again, there are too many mindless zelots like you who just go off of other peoples opinions.

Finally, have you noticed that we have struggled to run to the right despite having Fluker over there? Who's the other guy over there? Oh yeah, Clary. Nothing surprises me with respect to Clary's status. The guy has 9 lives. He should never have received his current contract and should have been gone long ago. Hopefully, it is one more year at most. But I still think he is the easiest cut on the entire roster. Bad player, lots of money, yuck.
      A big part of why we struggle to run is that Dunlap, who got such a great grade from PFF, doesn't downgrade him for allowing penetration on the backside of the play. When we run away, the backside pursuit chews up the zone runs. We run left, because Dunlap has developed into a good/great point of attack player, but his backside play still needs work. He is the worst cut blocking OL I have ever seen, and often makes no attempt, which makes it hard to run to the other side. Again, real GM's and personnel guys don't grip about Clary. TT has said publicly several times that he liked how Clary played.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Finally, have you noticed that we have struggled to run to the right despite having Fluker over there? Who's the other guy over there? Oh yeah, Clary.
        We do not run a power blocking scheme! Stop making judgments about our running game as if it were!

In a zone blocking scheme, the assignments will vary depending on where the TE lines up. Most teams, including the Chargers, line the TE on the right. Our top 2 TEs are, at best, mediocre run blockers. Could this be why we run better to the left? Ding ding ding, we have a winner!
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

You can be in the minority if you want, but I am pretty sure everyone except Steve and Bill Polian thinks that Soliai is way better than Mitchell in any defense...
          I don't know anything about Mitchell, but I do not want Soliai in any defense. Let some other team blow their wad on this declining player because of his past reputation. I'd rather find someone who fits into our system and will be good for us rather than someone who will leave us wondering why he's not good anymore.
          Adipose

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Send PM

I have said it before and will say it again
            Yes, you have, and I have no doubt you will again, ad nauseam.

our defense will not be good without a stout NT that can defend the run and draw double teams.
            You are wrong. This is old-fashioned, outdated thinking.
            Adipose

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The point isn't so much that Mitchell is better then Soliai, although he is. The point is that he is cheaper.

Panama, the other reason that we don't run to the right is that many (most?) zone offenses won't run to the same side as a 3 technique DT. When you draw the play up, that is the only guy (especially on outside zone) where you can't get leverage on the guy. And since many 3 tech DT are quick, it really is a losing game. So, teams check out of zone runs to the 3technique DT side at the line (Omaha.....). Since many teams put their 3 technique DT to the strong (TE) side.

But the TE thing is just another good a reason.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Send PM

Telesco is the one that is apparently considering bringing in Mitchell. I am just trying to find a spot where he fits. It isn't at NT, so what's left? If Reyes can beat him out, then Reyes can start and Mitchell can be a reserve as I would probably start Lissemore over Mitchell at NT because Lissemore is reasonably good against the run.

Of course, the point in this is that I wouldn't want to add Mitchell, but if we get him, then we are stuck with trying to find a way to use him.
                Ah, I see. Yuba is not only armchair GM but coach as well.
                Adipose

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

If Mitchell or any other NT target can't command a double team, or doesn't have the potential to command a double team, save the money and sign somebody like Franklin. Then draft a developmental prospect.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

@UTgehlken: Chargers very much in mix for Texans NT Earl Mitchell, per source. Dolphins appear to be, however, his most likely suitor.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      @UTgehlken: Chargers very much in mix for Texans NT Earl Mitchell, per source. Dolphins appear to be, however, his most likely suitor.
                      Go Miami.

Mitchell would be fine if this team is going more towards a 4-3 line.
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I'd be happy to have Mitchell as a backup NT/DE. You can't have too many rotational d-lineman. I'd have concerns about him as a full time NT at only 300 pounds.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Buccaneers | Interested in Earl Mitchell
                          Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:27:32 -0700
                          The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have expressed interest in free-agent DT Earl Mitchell (Texans).

Seahawks | Earl Mitchell an option
                          Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:28:11 -0700
                          The Seattle Seahawks have expressed interest in free-agent DT Earl Mitchell (Texans).

Bears | Check in with Earl Mitchell
                          Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:30:27 -0700
                          The Chicago Bears have expressed interest in free-agent DT Earl Mitchell (Texans).

Cowboys | Interested in Earl Mitchell
                          Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:37:34 -0700
                          The Dallas Cowboys have expressed interest in free-agent DT Earl Mitchell (Texans).

Comment

Working...
                          X