Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Mike McCoy said he was diagnosed with a concussion after the game.

Are you calling McCoy a liar?
    No, I am not. But I'm not saying he isn't, either. I'm saying, "Hardwick may very well have been diagnosed with a concussion during the game and spoke to the media anyway. We don't (and can't) know." Seems pretty clear to me, but then, as the author, I admit to a fair amount of bias.

Here's a question for you: Why do you enjoy being so provocative? Did you have a traumatic experience as a child that has warped your outlook on social interactions? Do you suffer from Dissociative Identity Disorder? Are you just an attention whore?

Sorry, that's four questions. But they're valid questions. When you're not playing your little games, you've got valid and interesting things to say.

:attentionwhore:

Edit: Awe, c'mon, I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use the "attention whore" smiley, and now it's gone?!? Is there a limit on smileys?
    :comeon:
    Last edited by Panama; 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM.
    Adipose

Comment

• BoltBalls
      Always keep eye contact!
      • Jun 2013
      • SD!
      • Send PM

Ironically enough, that above smiley is from the movie Liar Liar... :lol:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        To me, this is a non-issue.

I'd rather worry about Mathews and Clary not practicing.
        Wait, does that mean you don't want to worry about the three "give up" runs before the half last game?

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Being knocked out is one of those conditions that is treated really poorly by films and TV. Its very common to see the hero take a blow to the head, collapse to the floor, and a few hours later to wake with a bit of wooziness and a "where am I expression" but no real side effects. In reality, if you are struck hard enough to lose consciousness then you by definition have injured your brain, and recovery can span the spectrum from full, to death or permanent coma.

Your prognosis after a head injury depends on several factors. The most important are your age, the severity of the injury as classified by the Glasgow Coma Score (as linked by arumbar) and some ancillary factors, such as whether you suffered from associated low blood pressure, low oxygen levels and whether your pupils react normally to light.

To get an idea of outcomes you can check out this outcome calculator. It was created by some researchers who had performed a very large head injury trial (called CRASH) and allows to you to plug in the clinical details and gives the likely prognosis.

So for example, lets take the boxer in the OP's question. Lets say he is 28 years old, in the US and has been knocked out by a blow to the head. On examination he does not respond to commands, but his hand moves in response to a painful stimulus, and he neither speaks nor opens his eyes, giving him a GCS of 7. Neither pupil reacts to light, and his CT scan demonstrates petechial haemorrhages and obliteration of the third ventricle. According to the calculator his chance of dying from this injury within the next 14 days (assuming best treatment) is 35%, and the chance of never waking up from the coma is just over 60%. He is unlikely to be waking up and saying "where am I?" anytime soon.
          A concussion is a type of brain injury. It's the most minor form. Technically, a concussion is a short loss of normal brain function in response to a head injury.
          Hardwick took a blow to the head and was staggering around in a daze. By definition, that's a concussion. Then, how hard is it for a doctor to see how reactive his pupils are to light?
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
            I would like to know exactly how it was put to Acee . .
            uh, that would be in the butt, Bob.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

waving right hand in front of you....this is not the concussion you were looking for.....

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                I saw the play live on TV, and a couple replays, and never came to the conclusion he was "out on his feet"- to me the "hit" just wasn't violent enough to knock him out cold. Did they ever show a close up where you could see his eyes rolled back in head while he was standing there or anything like that? I agree he was staggered a little and had to gather his faculties, but seems overly dramatic how some are portraying it. I've hit my head getting in my car, bumping into low doorways, hitting shelfs, popping up too fast after installing a PC under the desk and many more ways that hurt and stopped me in my tracks for a minute, but never even considered it to be concussion level even after seeing stars and everything going black for a minute. I'm sure I am not the only 1 to have these self inflicted head slaps. Anybody else ever get treated after a good bump on the noggin- or even worry about it?
                Staggered a little? Eyes roll back in his head? LOL. You ever have a concussion? It doesn't need to be a violent hit, as you say, and once you've had one it's really easy to get another. Any of those innocuous things you mentioned happening to you could give you another concussion if you've had one previously, especially a big one. It's definitely happened to me. From what I've personally experienced, when I saw Hardwick lose his balance, I thought "he just got a concussed and it probably wasn't the first time."

I'm surprised he's back so soon which probably means he didn't have too big of one last week or the books are being cooked on the concussion protocol.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  No, I am not. I'm saying, "Hardwick may very well have been diagnosed with a concussion during the game"
                  If so then McCoy lied.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
                    Staggered a little? Eyes roll back in his head? LOL. You ever have a concussion? It doesn't need to be a violent hit, as you say, and once you've had one it's really easy to get another. Any of those innocuous things you mentioned happening to you could give you another concussion if you've had one previously, especially a big one. It's definitely happened to me. From what I've personally experienced, when I saw Hardwick lose his balance, I thought "he just got a concussed and it probably wasn't the first time."

I'm surprised he's back so soon which probably means he didn't have too big of one last week or the books are being cooked on the concussion protocol.
                    yes of course, I've had a one from smacking my head on the ground in a dirt bike crash, but even then I didn't lose consciousness or not know where I was, etc. As I described above I've taken a lot of other hits to the head that I never thought twice should be checked out for a concussion and was just fine after a few minutes. My wife says I'm hard headed so maybe that explains it. I just didn't see Hardwick take any kind of big hit- but yeah he wobbled taking a few steps, stopped for a minute, then started to move and seemed like he was deciding whether to go to the sideline or back to the huddle. None of us knows what he was experiencing or saying at that time. They checked him out and didn't take him off the field right away. I just think there is so much pressure on the NFL about CTE- they over-react on the slightest incident now. The fact Hardwick was cleared to take more hits to the head after just a couple days kinda supports the idea he wasn't seriously injured.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Alex Flanagan talks sideline reporting

Alex Flanagan is a sideline reporter for the NFL Network who also works Notre Dame football telecasts for NBC. A big part of a her job is to report on injuries during games. It can be a murky endeavor. Take the curious injury reports last Sunday from another network, CBS, seemingly with input from the Chargers, concerning Nick Hardwick, who didn't return after taking a shot to the head from a Bengals linebacker in the first quarter.

Hardwick appeared dazed, both on the field and moments later on the sideline.

"He was really out on his feet," CBS play-by-play man Jim Nantz said after a commercial break.

"Now he'll have to go through the concussion protocol test on the sideline, I would think," said Nantz's partner, Phil Simms.

Minutes later, a foggy-looking Hardwick was shown on a sideline bench, without helmet, as a Chargers official consulted him.

Evidently, Hardwick did in fact suffer a concussion. But it wasn't until three days later, this Wednesday, when he was made off limits to reporters per the NFL's concussion policy, that the concussion was made public.

It can be tricky to make a diagnosis. And that's part of the murkiness. Flanagan, who didn't work the Chargers-Bengals game but was at Chargers Park this week, said a team's medical staff may not be able to make a diagnosis as fast as viewers would like.

"What people may miss sometimes is that in the immediacy of the injury, there are things that the team doesn't know at that time," she said.

It is up to the NFL team to release injury information during games.

In the second quarter, it was announced in the press box that Hardwick had suffered a neck stinger and that his return was questionable. About that time, CBS sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson conveyed the same information. Wolfson added that Hardwick "went through some concussion tests" but that officials hadn't taken his helmet away (which happens if concussion concerns are serious).

Also, Wolfson reported that Hardwick "told his teammates he is OK."

A neck stinger had sidelined Hardwick earlier this year. And it appeared his left arm went slack after Sunday's hit, a sign that he'd lost feeling.

Flanagan said trainers are generally off limits to her during games. Teams station a spokesman on the sideline who often provides her with injury reports, presumably after consulting medical staff.

Presumably, Wolfson spoke with a Chargers spokesman before giving another update on Hardwick early in the third quarter. And it was a head-scratcher.

"I was told that he is still listed as probable," she said, "but he walked out of the locker room without his helmet."

The "probable" projection seemed farfetched, even alarming. A player who doesn't have his helmet after being examined for a head injury won't return, in almost any circumstance. Assuming Wolfson's report was accurate, why would the Chargers list Hardwick as probable? Were they fibbing in attempt to dupe the Bengals into believing Hardwick would return? At what gain? And even if the Chargers hadn't diagnosed Hardwick with a concussion by then, what would lead them to believe his return was probable?

It seemed strange. But as Mike McCoy would say, I'm not a doctor.

It was announced Wednesday when the Chargers submitted their injury report that Hardwick is dealing with a concussion. Asked about it, McCoy said Hardwick was diagnosed after the game upon showing concussion-like symptoms. Hardwick returned to practice Friday, and the Chargers list him as questionable for Sunday's game in Denver.
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        yes of course, I've had a one from smacking my head on the ground in a dirt bike crash, but even then I didn't lose consciousness or not know where I was, etc.
                        I know you realize that you don't have to lose consciousness to be deemed to have suffered a concussion. I'm only railing on this because there is a lot of under-education on this topic. You don't have to get knocked out to have suffered a concussion! There are a lot of different symptoms that are experienced by people having suffered concussions, and that is one of the difficulties facing sports leagues and organizations. There is no "one size fits all" set of symptoms that make it easy for diagnosis. You can google it and find out that there is so much controversy and difference of opinion on this. That's why I just go by personal experience, but I realize that if I didn't have that personal experience, I would really have no clue.

Suffice it to say, if you play any physically violent sport for a sufficient length of time, you are probably going to suffer multiple concussions that will effect your long term health. Maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not. As a sports fan, I want these guys back on the field as soon as possible. I pay my money to see them play, concussions or not. Is that right? Probably not, but as AJ Smith would say, "it is what it is." All I know is that if I was a professional sports athlete knowing what I know now, if what happened to Diehlman happened to me I would quit on the spot.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

NFL calls out two for violating concussion protocol.

Two players violated league concussion protocol during last weekend's wild-card games, according to a letter sent by the NFL's head, neck and spine committee chairmen to all team doctors and trainers.

Is it a lack of respect that hardwick isn't mentioned? Posner needs to grill the nfl. McCoy may have lied!

Comment

Working...
                          X