• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Great news about Hardwick. Mathews being held out of practice scares me though...

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

No Mathews is worrisome. But I'm optimistic that our other guys could cover us. If Clary or Fluker don't play...thats another story.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

McClain becomes the secret weapon.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          McClain becomes the secret weapon.

.....& thus, the FB dive becomes our staple play

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
            Question for all you doctors, can you get knocked out cold and not have a concussion? I always assumed it was the same thing, but if not, that could explain why Hardwick appeared "out on his feet" but not concussed.
            I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and understand that if you lose consciousness from a blow to the head you have almost certainly suffered a concussion, but perhaps one of the resident doctors on this board would like to take a stab at this?
            Adipose

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Yeah but I think one thing we are asking is whether getting knocked out briefly is an iron clad "symptom" of a concussion? If so, the Chargers screwed up because on TV we all saw him out on his feet for a couple seconds.
              But the sideline doesn't have a tv, does it?
              Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Question for all you doctors, can you get knocked out cold and not have a concussion? I always assumed it was the same thing, but if not, that could explain why Hardwick appeared "out on his feet" but not concussed.
                I saw the play live on TV, and a couple replays, and never came to the conclusion he was "out on his feet"- to me the "hit" just wasn't violent enough to knock him out cold. Did they ever show a close up where you could see his eyes rolled back in head while he was standing there or anything like that? I agree he was staggered a little and had to gather his faculties, but seems overly dramatic how some are portraying it. I've hit my head getting in my car, bumping into low doorways, hitting shelfs, popping up too fast after installing a PC under the desk and many more ways that hurt and stopped me in my tracks for a minute, but never even considered it to be concussion level even after seeing stars and everything going black for a minute. I'm sure I am not the only 1 to have these self inflicted head slaps. Anybody else ever get treated after a good bump on the noggin- or even worry about it?
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  I saw the play live on TV, and a couple replays, and never came to the conclusion he was "out on his feet"- to me the "hit" just wasn't violent enough to knock him out cold. Did they ever show a close up where you could see his eyes rolled back in head while he was standing there or anything like that? I agree he was staggered a little and had to gather his faculties, but seems overly dramatic how some are portraying it. I've hit my head getting in my car, bumping into low doorways, hitting shelfs, popping up too fast after installing a PC under the desk and many more ways that hurt and stopped me in my tracks for a minute, but never even considered it to be concussion level even after seeing stars and everything going black for a minute. I'm sure I am not the only 1 to have these self inflicted head slaps. Anybody else ever get treated after a good bump on the noggin- or even worry about it?
                  I agree; he staggered, clearly, but he wasn't "out". When a boxer is KO'd (out cold...think Manny P against Marquez) he doesn't get up and walk to his corner.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    It is a rule.

It looks like the medical staff did not diagnose a concussion until after the game. Which I find odd. It looked pretty obvious to me.
                    Looked it up. It's a rule. But the rule states "until medically cleared," which begs the question: can you be medically cleared to address the media but not necessarily to play/practice?

Your second assertion is not necessarily true. Rules get broken. Two players this past weekend broke the concussion rules, the Packers tackle by re-entering the game and the Saints DB by refusing to leave the sideline. Hardwick may very well have been diagnosed with a concussion during the game and spoke to the media anyway. We don't (and can't) know.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

For those that are concerned about the competency of the medical staff, at least Dr. Chao is no longer a part of it. Given the issue with Dielman's concussion, I presume that this staff would take extra steps to completely comply with the league policy on head trauma. I'm sure that someone can come up where the team or organization has made serious mistakes more than once, but I've not noticed it.

(I'm not counting drafting or coaching decisions... )

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        Looked it up. It's a rule. But the rule states "until medically cleared," which begs the question: can you be medically cleared to address the media but not necessarily to play/practice?

Your second assertion is not necessarily true. Rules get broken. Two players this past weekend broke the concussion rules, the Packers tackle by re-entering the game and the Saints DB by refusing to leave the sideline. Hardwick may very well have been diagnosed with a concussion during the game and spoke to the media anyway. We don't (and can't) know.
                        Mike McCoy said he was diagnosed with a concussion after the game.

Are you calling McCoy a liar?
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TTK
                          EX-Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • America's Finest City
                          • Send PM

To me, this is a non-issue.

I'd rather worry about Mathews and Clary not practicing.

Comment

Working...
                          X