• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

First, let me say that I believed Hardwick had a concussion just based on what I saw on the replay. But, I'm no doctor.

I am wondering the following and I hope one of our resident physicians will chime in. Is it possible to 'get your bell rung' without sustaining an actual concussion? Take a boxer for example. They get staggered all the time. Does that mean they suffer a concussion every time? Is every knock out blow a check mark in the concussion box? Sometimes the symptoms are immediate sometimes not, how can a physician be sure?
    sigpic

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

There's an independent physician on the sideline so teams can't do this sort of thing. In that explanation earlier, it says that symptoms may not necessarily show up until hours later which could explain why it wasn't diagnosed until after the game.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        There's an independent physician on the sideline so teams can't do this sort of thing. In that explanation earlier, it says that symptoms may not necessarily show up until hours later which could explain why it wasn't diagnosed until after the game.
        Yeah but I think one thing we are asking is whether getting knocked out briefly is an iron clad "symptom" of a concussion? If so, the Chargers screwed up because on TV we all saw him out on his feet for a couple seconds.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
          Yeah but I think one thing we are asking is whether getting knocked out briefly is an iron clad "symptom" of a concussion? If so, the Chargers screwed up because on TV we all saw him out on his feet for a couple seconds.
          I thought the concussion decision is in the hands of an independent neurological consultant and not a team doctor decision:

Last edited by sandiego17; 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Per Gehlken: Hardwick cleared to resume football activities. He's practicing today.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
              Per Gehlken: Hardwick cleared to resume football activities. He's practicing today.
              Awesome.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                Keep a clear head Nick, the team needs you!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I just don't think the Chargers like talking about some stuff. I don't think Hardwick had access to his helmet at any point after he got his bell rung. They cept showing him on the sidelines, but without a helmet. They were deliberately preventing him from going back in the game. There may be an independent doctor on the sidelines, but if the team says you can't go back in, there shouldn't be an argument, no matter what the other guy thinks. it is only an issue if the team says yes you can play and the independent Dr. says no, you can't.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I just don't think the Chargers like talking about some stuff. I don't think Hardwick had access to his helmet at any point after he got his bell rung. They cept showing him on the sidelines, but without a helmet. They were deliberately preventing him from going back in the game. There may be an independent doctor on the sidelines, but if the team says you can't go back in, there shouldn't be an argument, no matter what the other guy thinks. it is only an issue if the team says yes you can play and the independent Dr. says no, you can't.
                    Agreed.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      It is a rule.

It looks like the medical staff did not diagnose a concussion until after the game. Which I find odd. It looked pretty obvious to me.
                      Haha.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

No real issue, protocol is independant neurologists has final say. Regardless, hardwick didn't play after the hit.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                          No real issue, protocol is independant neurologists has final say. Regardless, hardwick didn't play after the hit.
                          However, I think it is important to question the Chargers doctors'/coaching staff's competence and intentions despite knowing the facts only to later openly state the facts and completely unravel the fake controversy I started.

Comment

Working...
                          X